• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snoopy got scared and went limp :(

My 1 year old Netherlands dwarf just got really scared from the fire alarm going off. I got him away from the noise as fast as I could but he was running and throwing himself around so I couldn't grab his straight away. I ended up grabbing him when he ran into his cage but he was hitting he sides of his cage and I didn't exactly grab him in the most comofortable way for him. Once I got him he carried on freaking out for a bit but then he just went limp. I took him back inside when the noise had stopped and lay him on my bed. He stayed limp to a bit for when I made a loud crying noise he jumped back up.

He's hopping around now but he keeps lying on his side and while he was on his side his feet started twitching. He's sat in his litter box at the moment and he's eaten some carrot and a raisin.

Is he going to be okay? Is there anything I can do to help him?

Any help is appreciated!

Poor wee soul.. It is awful when they get frightened. Did he go limp while he was lying in his back?.. Rabbits do this is placed on their back, its called trancing.. Its a fear state which is quite traumatic...

I would watch your bunny carefully as stress can cause bunny to stop eating, this in turn can cause bunny to end up critically ill as the guts stop moving,,

I hope, with a little peace and quiet and lots of nommy distractions that bunny will be Okay.

Please keep a close eye and if you still suspect things arent right, a visit to the vet to check for injuries will be prudent

Good luck
Fee x

My 1 year old Netherlands dwarf just got really scared from the fire alarm going off. I got him away from the noise as fast as I could but he was running and throwing himself around so I couldn't grab his straight away. I ended up grabbing him when he ran into his cage but he was hitting he sides of his cage and I didn't exactly grab him in the most comofortable way for him. Once I got him he carried on freaking out for a bit but then he just went limp. I took him back inside when the noise had stopped and lay him on my bed. He stayed limp to a bit for when I made a loud crying noise he jumped back up.

He's hopping around now but he keeps lying on his side and while he was on his side his feet started twitching. He's sat in his litter box at the moment and he's eaten some carrot and a raisin.

Is he going to be okay? Is there anything I can do to help him?

Any help is appreciated!

It almost sounds as though he had a seizure, I'm sorry.

Keep him quiet with no noises and not too many distractions. I don't find vets particularly helpful when the event has past, but you can take him in if you feel you should.

I always give arnica at times like this, but obviously don't if you are not in favour of any alternative medicine!

Good luck xx I hope all will be well with your little one x

He's got a check up on Tuesday with the vet anyway as he's just been neutered. I've rang the helpline my insurance provides so you can speak to a vetenary nurse and she said stay with him for half and hour and then ring back to see if he's calmed down. He seems to be doing okay and he is eating but he keeps grinding his teeth. He wasn't twitching on his back he was lay on his side like he usually does when he's napping.

How long ago was his neuter? Are you perhaps fearful that you may have disturbed the surgical site by grabbing him?
I think considering bumping up the vet visit would not be amiss, especially if he's still not right in the a.m. Just to be on the safe side. If you are really concerned, is there an emergency vet nearby that you could take him to tonight who is rabbit savvy?

Sadly it's true that vets can't really diagnose a seizure after the event. (I have experienced this.) But they may be able to help you prepare for another if it should happen. My lionhead cross had one about four years ago and there was no mistake that she was seizing, she was bent in half almost and obviously had no idea of the world around her. I've read that nethies and lionheads are prone to seizures, but I think it could happen to any rabbit depending on the circumstances.

If he's in any obvious pain, of course, an out of hours vet would be the best way to go. Hopefully he hasn't injured himself by hitting the sides of his enclosure. Is he tooth grinding or could it be purring? Sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference.

Try to keep him quiet but don't be watching him so closely that he gets more nervous. I know that can be a tall order. Keep things as normal as possible so he can feel safe again. I'm sure it was as frightening an event for you as it appears it was for him.

How is he doing now? Vibes coming to you that he will be okay. xxxxxx

He's got a check up on Tuesday with the vet anyway as he's just been neutered. I've rang the helpline my insurance provides so you can speak to a vetenary nurse and she said stay with him for half and hour and then ring back to see if he's calmed down. He seems to be doing okay and he is eating but he keeps grinding his teeth. He wasn't twitching on his back he was lay on his side like he usually does when he's napping.

I would be onto the vet tomorrow first thing to get some Metacam, as it sounds like he could be in pain. Metacam is also an anti-inflammatory, so it would be good for anything that may have happened neurologically as well - such as a seizure.

My vet had never encountered a rabbit with a seizure, and had no idea how to treat it, so I had to make my own suggestions. I wouldn't worry about a one off - it may never happen again and could be linked with him getting rid of the anaesthetic from his body too. A GA and neutering is a traumatic procedure for a little one.

I'm glad he's doing OK now :thumb:

Going limp after an extreme fright is a natural predator/escape response. Usually they will be back to normal within the hour. Though the fact that he is twitching while on his side and grinding his teeth in pain makes me concerned. It's possible it is just due to the stress of his extreme fright, but it's also possible he has injured himself in his panicked state. It's also possible that he is experiencing hypoglycemia, as this type of incident can sometimes cause this to occur, in which case he will need glucose and electrolytes to bring his sugars back up.

Another RU member had a rabbit do something similar, was frightened and bashed into the side of the run and broke his jaw. So I think it would be a good idea to have your rabbit get a thorough check by the vet, including a blood glucose.

I let him sleep on my bed for a few hours (total treat for him as he loves the blanket at the end of the bed and he's usually not allowed on the bed as he likes to pee on it) and he seems a bit better. He's still very jumpy but I guess that's to be expected. Now he's calmer I've checked him over for injuries and I can't see anything obvious. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and see if we can bump the appointment just to be sure he's okay, I know rabbits tend to hide things when they're not feeling great.

Now I just need to sort out the idiots who were smoking pot on the floor below and set the alarm off, they're getting a very angry visitor tomorrow.

Thanks for all the love and support, you guys have been great, as always.

Back