• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

C & C cages or dog crate?????

janisbyrne

New Kit
Just about to buy or new home for our rabbits and have looked at tons of setups - whats your opinion on whats best, C&C cages over 2 or 3 levels or XL dog crate - we would also be looking to use a puppy pen to give more room? Many thanks

Hi, :wave:

sorry I'm not sure what a C&C cage is, but I have an extra large dog crate that we use as a base & I love it. We ended up adding Lino to the floor & find it easy to clean. We did initially think about adding a second layer which it could easily have, but as mine are free ranging we found it pretty pointless! See what you think;

can you show me pics it?
denaaaa[1]-500x500.jpg

Hi there, here is a pic of the pen den that we are thinking about - I am hoping it would easy to put together and make the most of the space we have.

Thanks

J

Last edited:

sorry I'm not sure what a C&C cage is, but I have an extra large dog crate that we use as a base & I love it. We ended up adding Lino to the floor & find it easy to clean. We did initially think about adding a second layer which it could easily have, but as mine are free ranging we found it pretty pointless! See what you think;

That looks fab, we are hoping that the rabbits will roam about when we are in, but would prob need more space when we are out during the day. The crate might be the best idea, with the puppy pen to start off with, to see how we get on - we thought about adding in a shelf if we got a crate too, but were not very handy unfortunately :-(

Thanks for sharing, looks great and definitely something to consider. This is the pet den we were considering as well.
denaaaa[1]-500x500.jpg

This looks fab, are dog crates big enough for a rabbit to locked in to sleep?

Hi Ra,

No my little girl is never locked in.. Being honest they was when they were little but also had a puppy pen until Harvey used to escape!

But this is literally just a base and she has access to the whole of our bungalow! She actually sleeps either next too or under our bed! :)

When I first got my rabbits I had them indoors for the winter in my spare room. I had an XL dog crate and a large area sectioned off with puppy panels. This worked well. I did lock mine in the dog crate at night but this was mainly because Ruby could jump over the puppy panels and she would chew stuff she shouldn't (my Hoover, a DVD player, some carpet, my sofa and lead painted skirting boards were all victims to Ruby's unsupervised chewing). I do like the look of the c and c cages with all the layers though

Hi Ra,

No my little girl is never locked in.. Being honest they was when they were little but also had a puppy pen until Harvey used to escape!

But this is literally just a base and she has access to the whole of our bungalow! She actually sleeps either next too or under our bed! :)

Ah I've to invest in something for another rabbit to sleep in while bonding

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have C&C cubes, which I originally used when my first bun lived inside, before we bonded him and he moved outside. I think they're fab as they're very easy to put together and you can create quite a large space, divided up in interesting ways, with different levels, hidey holes, etc. The one thing I would say is it's probably best to reinforce the structure with wooden rods or something like that as, otherwise, they can be quite flimsy once they get to a decent size. Also, make sure you factor in enough squares to put a "roof" on as it's easy to underestimate how high a bun can jump!
I got mine from eBay, I think.

I have C&C cubes, which I originally used when my first bun lived inside, before we bonded him and he moved outside. I think they're fab as they're very easy to put together and you can create quite a large space, divided up in interesting ways, with different levels, hidey holes, etc. The one thing I would say is it's probably best to reinforce the structure with wooden rods or something like that as, otherwise, they can be quite flimsy once they get to a decent size. Also, make sure you factor in enough squares to put a "roof" on as it's easy to underestimate how high a bun can jump!
I got mine from eBay, I think.

Thanks for the advice -.we have decided to try the xxl dog crate and puppy pen for now, but will definately keep the c & c cages in mind, I was just st a bit wary of them, as we are not very handy and I wasn't sure if they were easy enough to put together. Will post a wee pic when we are set up. Thanks again

Back