• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cherry and Hovis at the Bridge :(

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
As some of you will know, Cherry had to have one of her legs amputated earlier this year and had lots of complications afterwards. She had been referred to John Chitty and he was wonderful with her. Cherry and her husbun, Hovis, were moved into my kitchen from outside but Hovis then developed sore hocks.

Gem has been looking after both Cherry and Hovis while I am recovering from a total hysterectomy. Hovis has a large abscess on his hock and is on antibiotics and pain relief. Cherry did have noisy breathing but has been on antibiotics and has recovered from that.

Hovis' hock is not getting better so Gem and I will be taking him and Cherry back to the vet later in the week (when the bunny savvy vet is on as I can't drive for another three weeks and Gem doesn't drive). Gem is concerned about Cherry's quality of life and having just been to visit them I can see what she means. Cherry needs bottom baths at least once a day and the fur is now coming away around her lady bits. She doesn't seem to be using her existing leg properly, although she can and does at times.

I wanted Cherry to see John before I made any final decisions but he is on leave this week. He has offered to 'phone a local vet and have a chat with them, which is lovely of him as he is on holiday.

I never got the correct flooring for Cherry at home. I've tried rugs, fleece and vet bed but nothing seemed to work for her. I would now like to try astroturf which is what John recommended or stable matting which is what Liz suggested. Cherry and Hovis were free range in the kitchen but I have accepted I will need to pen them so I can put down a suitable flooring for them - neither use a litter tray. I don't know where to buy either of these types of floor, bearing in mind I can't drive or lift and will need to have them delivered.

Caroline has offered to take me to see John with Cherry once he is back from holiday but I want to try her with a different flooring in the meantime. She seemed to keep slipping on the rugs I put down for her. Gem has her on fleeces and puppy pads but she and Hovis dig them up.

I don't want Cherry to suffer but I also want to try absolutely everything I can before I consider having her put to sleep. Both Cherry and Hovis are still eating well. Hovis has another three days left of his medication.

Given that neither bun use a litter try how would I clean astroturf or stable matting?

I am really stressed about both buns and so, so grateful to Gem for looking after them for me. I cleaned the two guinea-pigs out this morning and found it difficult. I did give Cherry her bottom bath today, but needed Gem to help with her as my tummy muscles still aren't working properly yet and standing is more uncomfortable than usual.

Last edited:
It's a struggle keeping buns who don't use litter trays inside, I can empathise with that although I've not had disabled buns I can appreciate that makes it harder. I think any option for flooring will need to be able to be disposed off regularly or is possible to chuck in the washing machine. With Noodle I had a thin hard wearing rug which wee rarely reached but could be washed if needed. On top of that I had a thin double quilt in a cover & had a few fleeces on top of that. There was a lot of washing machine activity. It was a slip free arrangement too. Noodle had the start of sore hocks but they didn't get infected & improved with more floor padding.

I really hope you can find a solution that works for all of you & the vets appointment goes well

Sorry to hear about this situation and I hope your resting up lots.

I would think astro turf would be harder to clean for wee's especially as it would get in between all the strands? Stable matting looks to be one solid piece so there's nowhere for bits to get stuck or soak into?! I'm sure some ru'ers have this matting and will hopefully confirm.

Amazon or ebay would do either and that way it would be delivered. And b&q do astro turf and should think you can order online & get home delivery :)

Hope something can be found that helps everybun x

The stable matting we bought recently was from Amazon and not the same as our usual stuff. It was really really light but thick and Angelica hasn't chewed it at all. I'll try to find the link when I get a chance x

Sorry to hear about this situation and I hope your resting up lots.

I would think astro turf would be harder to clean for wee's especially as it would get in between all the strands? Stable matting looks to be one solid piece so there's nowhere for bits to get stuck or soak into?! I'm sure some ru'ers have this matting and will hopefully confirm.

Amazon or ebay would do either and that way it would be delivered. And b&q do astro turf and should think you can order online & get home delivery :)

Hope something can be found that helps everybun x

I would have thought astro turf would be hard on sore hocks? Perhaps there are different grades ...

I would have also thought it would be more difficult to clean ...

Thanks Liz I was going to PM you and ask where you had got yours. Both Hovis and Cherry have nommed half a piece of wooden cladding and the door frame in the kitchen so they are likely to chew whatever I put down.

John said that studies had been made of tripod bunnies and the best flooring for them was astroturf. I must admit I am concerned about how to clean it, given how messy Hovis and Cherry are.

Those of you with tripod bunnies - do you have to bottom bathe them or do they keep themselves clean? Cherry was doing it for herself originally.

I want to try absolutely everything I can to improve Cherry's quality of life before I consider putting her to sleep. She is still relatively young and Hovis adores her.

This stable matting is the very soft kind I believe, which is good as it'll allow the claws to sink in and position the foot correctly in order to let the hocks heal: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RUBBER-15...hash=item2a4b5251ce:m:m1AZkFsuAm82XE2wkzww1TQ

There's this one as well which is thinner and flatter on the top so would prevent any wee getting stuck in the little holes: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stable-Ho...856183?hash=item5d514b6d37:g:B5AAAOxyVaBSqWGa

The second one may be better in your case with your buns not using a litter tray and also being indoors (i.e. no wee stuck in holes which may smell!). The stable matting is dead easy to clean - a wipe down is suitable for the ones without holes, and every so often a hose down and a scrub.

Afaik the best flooring for sore hocks is some sort of soft bottom (stable matting/duvets/fleece) with plenty of hay on top - I reckon the second one with lots of hay on top would be great. I even know of people who've had stable matting, then vet bed, then thick hay on top and that worked well. Lots of hay will allow the foot to sit correctly and reduce stress on the hocks.

I would suspect that stable matting would be a lot lot easier to clean than astroturf.

An option I considered when thinking about sore hocks would be to lay stable matting, then lay a childrens wooden sandpit on top and fill this with the hay. This will keep the hay more contained and if you put the puppy panels around the outside of the sandpit then their only option will be to sit on the hay, meaning they are constantly on a good surface. A lot of the sandpits for a decent price aren't very big so you can easily recreate a sandpit type shape by getting 4 shelves and screwing all 4 together if you are unable to find one the right size. Obviously you'll want someone else to screw them together for you at the moment!

I think I must have got it from eBay not Amazon as can't find it on my order history. The best thing with stable matting is if you get it tight to the edge then they can't really access to chew it.

And no I have never had to bath a tripod's bum and we have had a few.

Looked on amazon and there is a bewildering choice. Can you tell what the one you have is called please Liz?

Ordered the matting today. Hope it helps as it wasn't cheap. Visited cherry and hovis today. They escaped the pen overnight and hovis nommed some of gems paperwork :oops:

An update on these two. My partner drove me to Gem's vet on Thursday and she met us there with the buns in a pet buggy. Hovis' abscess is still huge. The vet started squeezing it and I had to leave partner and Gem to it and go and sit down as it was hot in there and I started to feel ill. The vet wants to give the antibiotics longer to work before possibly changing them and the abscess has to be squeezed daily.

Cherry has runny poo which is matting her fur and she needs daily bottom baths. The vet has said for her to have a hay only diet apart from pro fibre. I've been taking them dandelion leaves so I need to stop that. Her back is sore which is why she isn't grooming herself as she used to so her pain relief has been increased. If that doesn't help I will need to consider tramadol.

I now have the stable matting in the kitchen so will hopefully have them both home this week and then take Cherry to see John the following week.

Gem has been totally amazing with them both - taking them to her house and nursing them for me. I am soooooo grateful as I would have been unable to cope with two poorly bunnies while recovering from my op. I am also pretty squeamish where abscesses are concerned.

Both keep escaping from their pen and are eating well - so I don't think either of them are ready to give up on life yet!!!

I am getting these two back tomorrow. Does anyone know if I need to put anything on the stable matting or if it is OK as it is?

Cherry is now not using her back leg at all. I've made an appointment for Tuesday with John as Caroline can take me then. I have started driving - but only locally - as walking and carrying things was hurting my tummy. My wheelie bin was overflowing and foxes break open the bags so I had to take stuff to the tip.

Gem said Cherry is still getting around - fast!! I really want John to see Cherry before I make the decision to have her put to sleep. She is on pain relief and is still eating.

Hovis' leg is less swollen but he still isn't putting weight on it. I am so worried about them both. It will be lovely to have them home but I am worried about how I will cope with the nursing. I am now managing to clean the outside bunnies but am taking it slowly and pacing myself.

Any spare vibes will be greatly appreciated.

So pleased you were able to visit them still while they were holidaying with gem :)

How's it going with them home now? Do still pace yourself, keep a chair by their pen and just take it easy when you can :)

Sending millions of vibes for all of you x

I've had the duo home since Saturday. Sadly Cherry has lost weight despite eating well and her rear end is sore and most of the fur has come off. She is on the maximum amount of metacam possible. Her quality of life is not good and I suspect she will be put to sleep tomorrow when I take her to see John:cry: She doesn't come out of her crate onto the stable matting and neither does Hovis. He still won't use his leg even though the abscess is much, much better now. I have asked John to look at him tomorrow too as it is so difficult for me to get to a local vet.

Carob has kindly agreed to take me to Andover. Cherry hates the carrier so I am going to hold her in a towel in a blanket on my lap as I don't want her last hour to be spent scared. I did question taking her all the way to Andover but I would always wonder 'What if .....' if I didn't let John look at her.

Gem has offered to adopt Hovis if Cherry does go to Rainbow Bridge but I would hate to lose him and think I will try to bond him with my quad. Given that on previous bondings he has tried to kill two bunnies, I am not hopeful, but I want to try. He has a very strong bond with Cherry and may bond easily now that he has had a companion bun.

I am dreading tomorrow.

This is so sad. I don't know what to say but hope that John may come up with something other than pts. Puts my deer-damaged car into perspective. I'm thinking of all of you. x

Back