PDA

View Full Version : Cherry and Hovis at the Bridge :(

Rhianna
18-10-2015, 02:44 PM
As some of you will know, Cherry had to have one of her legs amputated earlier this year and had lots of complications afterwards. She had been referred to John Chitty and he was wonderful with her. Cherry and her husbun, Hovis, were moved into my kitchen from outside but Hovis then developed sore hocks.

Gem has been looking after both Cherry and Hovis while I am recovering from a total hysterectomy. Hovis has a large abscess on his hock and is on antibiotics and pain relief. Cherry did have noisy breathing but has been on antibiotics and has recovered from that.

Hovis' hock is not getting better so Gem and I will be taking him and Cherry back to the vet later in the week (when the bunny savvy vet is on as I can't drive for another three weeks and Gem doesn't drive). Gem is concerned about Cherry's quality of life and having just been to visit them I can see what she means. Cherry needs bottom baths at least once a day and the fur is now coming away around her lady bits. She doesn't seem to be using her existing leg properly, although she can and does at times.

I wanted Cherry to see John before I made any final decisions but he is on leave this week. He has offered to 'phone a local vet and have a chat with them, which is lovely of him as he is on holiday.

I never got the correct flooring for Cherry at home. I've tried rugs, fleece and vet bed but nothing seemed to work for her. I would now like to try astroturf which is what John recommended or stable matting which is what Liz suggested. Cherry and Hovis were free range in the kitchen but I have accepted I will need to pen them so I can put down a suitable flooring for them - neither use a litter tray. I don't know where to buy either of these types of floor, bearing in mind I can't drive or lift and will need to have them delivered.

Caroline has offered to take me to see John with Cherry once he is back from holiday but I want to try her with a different flooring in the meantime. She seemed to keep slipping on the rugs I put down for her. Gem has her on fleeces and puppy pads but she and Hovis dig them up.

I don't want Cherry to suffer but I also want to try absolutely everything I can before I consider having her put to sleep. Both Cherry and Hovis are still eating well. Hovis has another three days left of his medication.

Given that neither bun use a litter try how would I clean astroturf or stable matting?

I am really stressed about both buns and so, so grateful to Gem for looking after them for me. I cleaned the two guinea-pigs out this morning and found it difficult. I did give Cherry her bottom bath today, but needed Gem to help with her as my tummy muscles still aren't working properly yet and standing is more uncomfortable than usual.

joey&boo
18-10-2015, 03:27 PM
It's a struggle keeping buns who don't use litter trays inside, I can empathise with that although I've not had disabled buns I can appreciate that makes it harder. I think any option for flooring will need to be able to be disposed off regularly or is possible to chuck in the washing machine. With Noodle I had a thin hard wearing rug which wee rarely reached but could be washed if needed. On top of that I had a thin double quilt in a cover & had a few fleeces on top of that. There was a lot of washing machine activity. It was a slip free arrangement too. Noodle had the start of sore hocks but they didn't get infected & improved with more floor padding.

I really hope you can find a solution that works for all of you & the vets appointment goes well

Clare-uk
18-10-2015, 06:05 PM
Sorry to hear about this situation and I hope your resting up lots.

I would think astro turf would be harder to clean for wee's especially as it would get in between all the strands? Stable matting looks to be one solid piece so there's nowhere for bits to get stuck or soak into?! I'm sure some ru'ers have this matting and will hopefully confirm.

Amazon or ebay would do either and that way it would be delivered. And b&q do astro turf and should think you can order online & get home delivery :)

Hope something can be found that helps everybun x

Hugo's There
18-10-2015, 06:06 PM
The stable matting we bought recently was from Amazon and not the same as our usual stuff. It was really really light but thick and Angelica hasn't chewed it at all. I'll try to find the link when I get a chance x

MightyMax
18-10-2015, 06:31 PM
Sorry to hear about this situation and I hope your resting up lots.

I would think astro turf would be harder to clean for wee's especially as it would get in between all the strands? Stable matting looks to be one solid piece so there's nowhere for bits to get stuck or soak into?! I'm sure some ru'ers have this matting and will hopefully confirm.

Amazon or ebay would do either and that way it would be delivered. And b&q do astro turf and should think you can order online & get home delivery :)

Hope something can be found that helps everybun x

I would have thought astro turf would be hard on sore hocks? Perhaps there are different grades ...

I would have also thought it would be more difficult to clean ...

Rhianna
18-10-2015, 07:20 PM
Thanks Liz I was going to PM you and ask where you had got yours. Both Hovis and Cherry have nommed half a piece of wooden cladding and the door frame in the kitchen so they are likely to chew whatever I put down.

John said that studies had been made of tripod bunnies and the best flooring for them was astroturf. I must admit I am concerned about how to clean it, given how messy Hovis and Cherry are.

Those of you with tripod bunnies - do you have to bottom bathe them or do they keep themselves clean? Cherry was doing it for herself originally.

I want to try absolutely everything I can to improve Cherry's quality of life before I consider putting her to sleep. She is still relatively young and Hovis adores her.

yaretzi
18-10-2015, 08:10 PM
This stable matting is the very soft kind I believe, which is good as it'll allow the claws to sink in and position the foot correctly in order to let the hocks heal: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RUBBER-15mm-EXTRA-THICK-Stable-Horse-trailer-Mats-equestrian-SPECIAL-OFFER-/181652312526?var=&hash=item2a4b5251ce:m:m1AZkFsuAm82XE2wkzww1TQ

There's this one as well which is thinner and flatter on the top so would prevent any wee getting stuck in the little holes: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stable-Horse-Box-Trailer-Wall-Mat-EVA-6ft-x-4ft-x-10mm-/400795856183?hash=item5d514b6d37:g:B5AAAOxyVaBSqWG a

The second one may be better in your case with your buns not using a litter tray and also being indoors (i.e. no wee stuck in holes which may smell!). The stable matting is dead easy to clean - a wipe down is suitable for the ones without holes, and every so often a hose down and a scrub.

Afaik the best flooring for sore hocks is some sort of soft bottom (stable matting/duvets/fleece) with plenty of hay on top - I reckon the second one with lots of hay on top would be great. I even know of people who've had stable matting, then vet bed, then thick hay on top and that worked well. Lots of hay will allow the foot to sit correctly and reduce stress on the hocks.

I would suspect that stable matting would be a lot lot easier to clean than astroturf.

An option I considered when thinking about sore hocks would be to lay stable matting, then lay a childrens wooden sandpit on top and fill this with the hay. This will keep the hay more contained and if you put the puppy panels around the outside of the sandpit then their only option will be to sit on the hay, meaning they are constantly on a good surface. A lot of the sandpits for a decent price aren't very big so you can easily recreate a sandpit type shape by getting 4 shelves and screwing all 4 together if you are unable to find one the right size. Obviously you'll want someone else to screw them together for you at the moment!

Hugo's There
18-10-2015, 08:11 PM
I think I must have got it from eBay not Amazon as can't find it on my order history. The best thing with stable matting is if you get it tight to the edge then they can't really access to chew it.

And no I have never had to bath a tripod's bum and we have had a few.

Rhianna
19-10-2015, 09:05 AM
Looked on amazon and there is a bewildering choice. Can you tell what the one you have is called please Liz?

Hugo's There
19-10-2015, 07:57 PM
Looked on amazon and there is a bewildering choice. Can you tell what the one you have is called please Liz?

Found it, sorry it took so long this stuff is really light :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ArkSupersoft-Stable-Horse-Mat-EVA-24-or-34mm-thick-6ft-x-4ft-/261853632879?var=&hash=item3cf7b1596f:m:m356jQfqOXaoQoS-OnRgTq

Rhianna
19-10-2015, 09:33 PM
Thank you Liz xx

Rhianna
20-10-2015, 11:06 PM
Ordered the matting today. Hope it helps as it wasn't cheap. Visited cherry and hovis today. They escaped the pen overnight and hovis nommed some of gems paperwork :oops:

Rhianna
24-10-2015, 04:48 PM
An update on these two. My partner drove me to Gem's vet on Thursday and she met us there with the buns in a pet buggy. Hovis' abscess is still huge. The vet started squeezing it and I had to leave partner and Gem to it and go and sit down as it was hot in there and I started to feel ill. The vet wants to give the antibiotics longer to work before possibly changing them and the abscess has to be squeezed daily.

Cherry has runny poo which is matting her fur and she needs daily bottom baths. The vet has said for her to have a hay only diet apart from pro fibre. I've been taking them dandelion leaves so I need to stop that. Her back is sore which is why she isn't grooming herself as she used to so her pain relief has been increased. If that doesn't help I will need to consider tramadol.

I now have the stable matting in the kitchen so will hopefully have them both home this week and then take Cherry to see John the following week.

Gem has been totally amazing with them both - taking them to her house and nursing them for me. I am soooooo grateful as I would have been unable to cope with two poorly bunnies while recovering from my op. I am also pretty squeamish where abscesses are concerned.

Both keep escaping from their pen and are eating well - so I don't think either of them are ready to give up on life yet!!!

Rhianna
30-10-2015, 12:22 PM
I am getting these two back tomorrow. Does anyone know if I need to put anything on the stable matting or if it is OK as it is?

Cherry is now not using her back leg at all. I've made an appointment for Tuesday with John as Caroline can take me then. I have started driving - but only locally - as walking and carrying things was hurting my tummy. My wheelie bin was overflowing and foxes break open the bags so I had to take stuff to the tip.

Gem said Cherry is still getting around - fast!! I really want John to see Cherry before I make the decision to have her put to sleep. She is on pain relief and is still eating.

Hovis' leg is less swollen but he still isn't putting weight on it. I am so worried about them both. It will be lovely to have them home but I am worried about how I will cope with the nursing. I am now managing to clean the outside bunnies but am taking it slowly and pacing myself.

Any spare vibes will be greatly appreciated.

Clare-uk
01-11-2015, 11:40 PM
So pleased you were able to visit them still while they were holidaying with gem :)

How's it going with them home now? Do still pace yourself, keep a chair by their pen and just take it easy when you can :)

Sending millions of vibes for all of you x

Rhianna
02-11-2015, 06:55 PM
I've had the duo home since Saturday. Sadly Cherry has lost weight despite eating well and her rear end is sore and most of the fur has come off. She is on the maximum amount of metacam possible. Her quality of life is not good and I suspect she will be put to sleep tomorrow when I take her to see John:cry: She doesn't come out of her crate onto the stable matting and neither does Hovis. He still won't use his leg even though the abscess is much, much better now. I have asked John to look at him tomorrow too as it is so difficult for me to get to a local vet.

Carob has kindly agreed to take me to Andover. Cherry hates the carrier so I am going to hold her in a towel in a blanket on my lap as I don't want her last hour to be spent scared. I did question taking her all the way to Andover but I would always wonder 'What if .....' if I didn't let John look at her.

Gem has offered to adopt Hovis if Cherry does go to Rainbow Bridge but I would hate to lose him and think I will try to bond him with my quad. Given that on previous bondings he has tried to kill two bunnies, I am not hopeful, but I want to try. He has a very strong bond with Cherry and may bond easily now that he has had a companion bun.

I am dreading tomorrow.

Hugo's There
02-11-2015, 07:02 PM
Oh no, I'm heartbroken for you. I so wanted Cherry to make the good recovery Angelica did :(

Glingle
02-11-2015, 07:13 PM
Sending you love and hugs xxx

Babsie
02-11-2015, 07:13 PM
This is so sad. I don't know what to say but hope that John may come up with something other than pts. Puts my deer-damaged car into perspective. I'm thinking of all of you. x

Zoobec
02-11-2015, 07:32 PM
I'm so sorry :cry: sending vibes, love and hugs xx

Clare-uk
02-11-2015, 07:35 PM
Continuing to send vibes for all xx

Rhianna
02-11-2015, 09:02 PM
Thank you all. I think there is something going on other than the amputation as she constantly has a dirty bottom. Gem changed her diet as recommended by the local vet but it didn't make any difference. She seems to have a sore back too. She has been through so much I feel dreadful having her put to sleep but her quality of life isn't good as she isn't moving from her crate. I've given her some nommy things today and she has enjoyed them. She responds to my voice and is such a gorgeous bunny tomorrow is going to break my heart. I am so pleased Caroline will be with me.

Hugo's There
03-11-2015, 06:43 PM
How did you get on today?

Hugo's There
03-11-2015, 10:51 PM
Keep checking back for news x

Tinkabella
04-11-2015, 12:06 AM
Sending big hugs thinking of you xxxxx

Rhianna
04-11-2015, 12:04 PM
I just couldn't have cherry put to sleep. It felt wrong. John was very honest and said he didn't think this would have a good outcome. Cherry isn't using her remaining back leg properly and it's splaying out which is hurting her hip.

He suggested tramadol to see if that helps now she's on stable matting. I've been giving her kale, apple, pear and forage from the garden but her bottom is much better and I'm not needing to clean it. I put Sudacrem on her stump where the fur has come off.

When I did give her a bottom bath she would kick out with her back leg. I'm wondering if I could do some sort of therapy with her. I had tramadol after my hysterectomy and it controlled my pain so I'm hoping it will do the same for cherry. She is on metacam too.

Hovis is on baytril and metacam. His abscess is almost gone but he won't use the leg, John wants me to take him back in two weeks for an X ray.

Bill was 205. I'm not planning on adopting any more rabbits but if I do they will be insured!

Hugo's There
04-11-2015, 06:26 PM
I'm sorry John thinks her prognosis is so poor :(

I hope the tramadol works so she isn't suffering too badly right now xx

Rhianna
04-11-2015, 06:39 PM
I'm sorry John thinks her prognosis is so poor :(

I hope the tramadol works so she isn't suffering too badly right now xx

If I thought she was suffering I would have her put to sleep now but she is still eating well and snuggling with Hovis. She is on the maximum dose of metacam as well as the tramadol. My bridge bun Dylan was on tramadol for his arthritis and it prolonged his quality of life for a while. Her sore skin is much better since her tummy has settled and she is able to clean herself. She is enjoying all the noms she is getting. Her tramadol tablet goes into part of an apple and she heartily approves of this.

When it is time for her to go to Rainbow Bridge I will take her locally as she so hates the journey to Andover. I am reviewing her on a daily basis. If I was out of the house for long periods working as I usually am, I would possibly have had her put to sleep yesterday but I am home on sick leave for another four weeks and currently unable to drive so I'm around her to check how she is doing. For some reason I keep waking at or around 0200 needing the loo so I make sure she is OK then too.

joey&boo
04-11-2015, 06:51 PM
More vibes for Cherry & Hovis - I hope tramadol does the trick

Glingle
04-11-2015, 07:14 PM
Sending vibe and love xxx

tlcwrites
04-11-2015, 07:45 PM
Oh poor Cherry and Hovis - and poor you too! Vibes for you all. xxx

Hugo's There
04-11-2015, 07:46 PM
I just meant I hope the tramadol works, as it doesn't suit everybun. Made one of mine worse :(

Just want cherry to be ok

Omi
04-11-2015, 08:56 PM
Sending lots of vibes for Cherry and Hovis. Hope you will soon feel much better too.

Clare-uk
04-11-2015, 09:54 PM
Bless her and you x I know you have cherry ' best interests at heart and when you are this close to an animal you 'know' when you have to make that choice. I sounds like she is improving with her tum and hopefully the new meds and flooring will help her further.

Good news that Hovis is healing well :) let's hope it continues for all 3 of you x

joey&boo
10-11-2015, 02:50 PM
I just wanted to say I'm still rooting for Cherry & Hovis - I hope they & you are ok? x

Rhianna
10-11-2015, 07:51 PM
I just wanted to say I'm still rooting for Cherry & Hovis - I hope they & you are ok? x

Both Cherry and Hovis were spending all their time in the dog crate, despite having a pen outside, so I made the decision to get rid of the crate. I also noticed that Cherry seemed to like laying on the vet bed when I had a piece in the crate and that the hay in the litter tray was sticking to the sudacrem. I was also aware that Cherry was getting stuck in the gap between the litter tray and the edge of the pen. My partner (who knew nothing about bunnies when we started seeing each other but is proving to be very good with them) dismantled the pen, removed the crate, and rebuilt the pen so that there is now no gap by the side of the litter tray. He also paid for lots of vet bed so Cherry can always have some in the pen which goes up the sides too so she can't catch her back leg in between the bars.

The pen is very thin - my kitchen is not that big - but my plan is to open it up when I am at home once Hovis has fully recovered and is more active and he can then access the hallway as well as the kitchen. Both Cherry and Hovis are now spending most of their time laying on the vet bed outside the litter tray. I've put a basket and a blanket in the pen too and Hovis loves that.

Cherry is still splaying her leg out and not using it properly but is more active than she was. I have stopped bringing noms to her - which felt really mean to start with - and she now moves to the end of the pen to eat and drink. I think the tramadol has helped her a lot. She is keeping herself clean most of the time, but sometimes does get urine on her fur so I give her a bottom bath. Where the vet bed is soft her stump is no longer sore and bleeding. The vet bed is on the stable matting. She looks awful when she moves because of her remaining back leg splaying out, but she can move quite fast and I don't think she is suffering at all. I am giving her plenty of forage and bought spring greens, carrots and apple for her today. I know carrot and apple aren't ideal for bunnies - I gave her some bread too - but realistically Cherry is not going to live a long life and I want her remaining time with me to be as happy as I can make it. She did lose quite a bit of weight but is maintaining now which is a relief. If she starts getting a runny bottom again I will review the treats but she is keeping her rear end clean and her droppings are solid.

Hovis seems to be happier now he is on metacam. My partner is squeezing the pus out of the abscess as I can't hold Hovis and squeeze and am quite squeamish. He still isn't using the leg but is more active than he was when I had the dog crate in the pen. He is due to go back to John next week for an x-ray but I am thinking of maybe taking him somewhere more local as both Cherry and Hovis hate the drive.

Thank you for asking after them. I hope I am doing the right thing keeping Cherry alive but I honestly don't think she is in any pain and she loves Hovis, enjoys her food and is now moving around, albeit very inelegantly.

joey&boo
10-11-2015, 08:09 PM
Thank You for replying. Its good to know they are both doing better & lovely to hear how your partner in so in tune to their needs too. It sounds like moving the crate was a good call, giving them a gentle nudge in the right direction. As she is eating so well, enjoying her snuggles & her pain is managed now I wouldn't be considering PTS either. Keep us updated please

Clare-uk
10-11-2015, 08:41 PM
Their new set up sounds just the job got your bunnies :) good on your partner for getting that sorted for them.

It's good to hear that Cherrys stump isn't bleeding now and that she's keeping her bottom clean on her own. I'm really pleased that Hovis seems more settled too :)

How are you getting on?

Continuing to send comfort and strength x

MightyMax
10-11-2015, 08:46 PM
Yes, I was wondering how your health was now?

It's lovely to hear how the buns are managing :D

Rhianna
10-11-2015, 10:30 PM
I'm legally able to drive again now but get tired very quickly. My anti-depressants have been increased as I was feeling so low and I'm wondering if they are causing the tiredness. I need to get back to work as I rely on overtime but I just don't feel up to it. I still get pain if I do too much and have slight blood loss too.

It's wonderful being home so much so I can keep an eye on cherry and hovis. I'm managing to clean them out daily and the outdoor buns every other day but I struggle with the pigs and my partner usually does it. Everything is on the floor in the pigs' pen and they mess everywhere so it involves a lot of bending.

Thank you all for thinking of me xxx

Clare-uk
10-11-2015, 11:51 PM
Give yourself enough time to heal both physically and emotionally :)

I'm sure it helps you to be able to clean Cherry and Hovis. I always hate it when I can't get to clean mine out or see to their needs. I think I need that more than they do.

Take things slowly x

Clare-uk
17-11-2015, 04:17 PM
How's things going?

Rhianna
18-11-2015, 08:10 PM
This morning when I medicated Hovis I noticed his other leg is sore so I made an appointment at the local vet where Gem had taken him. Fortunately, the vet she recommended was on this afternoon at the nearest surgery to me. They had a record that the notes had been faxed to Andover but I explained I can't keep taking the rabbits there. Although I am now driving, I wouldn't go that far at the moment and both buns absolutely hate the journery.

Cherry's fur was matted in places and the vet cut it and has given me a different cream to put on her which she thinks is better than sudacrem. As the tramadol is helping her be more active the vet said I should continue with it. I need to watch the treats I give her as it won't be good for her if she gets too fat.

Poor Hovis' abscess is still there and his other leg is sore now too. The vet said that she wants to x-ray him (which is what John had said too) as she thinks Hovis may have osteomylitis - where the infection has reached the bone. If that is the case she said the outcome is not good. She could try to open the abscess and pack it but it could be the best thing would be to amputate the leg. She intimated that PTS would be the kindest option. I was devestated as it was the last thing I expected to hear. I know that Cherry is on borrowed time and I am reviewing her daily, but I didn't realise Hovis was so sick. If Hovis does need to be put to sleep I will have Cherry put to sleep at the same time as they have a close bond and it would be the kindest thing to do.

Hovis is booked in for an x-ray at their main surgery next Tuesday - which is the first time she could fit him in. In the meantime I am to continue with the pain relief and antibiotics. I am tempted to give him tramadol too as his leg must be so sore.

Both Cherry and Hovis are eating well and snuggling lots. I am a mess as it now looks like I will lose them both.

Jack's-Jane
18-11-2015, 08:31 PM
I am sorry to hear the latest update is not too good :cry: I hope both Cherry and Hovis can remain as comfortable as possible xx

Glingle
18-11-2015, 08:39 PM
Sending you lots of love xxx

joey&boo
18-11-2015, 08:41 PM
I'm so sorry to hear your update :( Sending love & vibes to Cherry & Hovis

keletkezes
18-11-2015, 08:47 PM
Couldn't read and run: best wishes to you, and them :(

Springfield24
18-11-2015, 08:50 PM
Sending lots of love, hard position to be in xx

Omi
18-11-2015, 08:54 PM
Just read your latest update about Cherry and Hovis. You must be very concerned :( Sending lots of vibes for them both and hugs for you.

MightyMax
18-11-2015, 09:23 PM
I'm so sorry Rhianna. I really hope a peaceful solution works itself out for you all.

Sending ((( hugs )))

Clare-uk
18-11-2015, 11:07 PM
Oh goodness, so sad to hear your update. I had hoped they had both turned a corner. Everything crossed that Hovis's x ray doesn't show what the vet thinks. Sending lots of vibes, hugs and strength to all of you x

Zoobec
19-11-2015, 02:35 AM
I'm so sorry :cry: thinking of you and sending them lots of vibes xx

MimzMum
19-11-2015, 08:23 AM
Lifting prayers and sending vibes for you, Cherry and Hovis. I hope things are not as dire as they seem. xxxxx

MightyMax
20-11-2015, 12:18 AM
How are things Rhianna?

Barn Yard Bunnies
20-11-2015, 12:37 AM
Hugs xxx

Rhianna
20-11-2015, 04:53 PM
How are things Rhianna?

I'm struggling with the idea of losing two bunnies on one day. I used to have eleven and now only have six. I won't adopt any more until my health improves and my finances are not so dire.

I bathed Cherry this morning. Parts of her side are raw. I put the cream the vet gave me on her and asked her what she wanted. I can usually tell when my fur family have had enough, but I am not sure with Cherry. Hovis does seem more fed up. He is also losing weight, which is a worry as he is eating well.

The vet was not in favour of amputating Hovis' leg and intimated PTS would be kinder. Given how much Cherry has suffered I tend to agree, but then I also know that bunnies can live happily as tripods.

I've been signed off work for another month today as I am still very unstable. I cry easily and if a patient was abusive I know I couldn't cope.

I've put Hovis on tramadol too as I don't want him to suffer.

I'm just glad I am home from work so I can keep an eye on them both. Cherry actually seems happier than Hovis.

Mollie100
20-11-2015, 06:58 PM
Am so sorry you (and your bunnies) are going through all this. :( xx

Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you xx

MightyMax
20-11-2015, 07:04 PM
I'm struggling with the idea of losing two bunnies on one day. I used to have eleven and now only have six. I won't adopt any more until my health improves and my finances are not so dire.

I bathed Cherry this morning. Parts of her side are raw. I put the cream the vet gave me on her and asked her what she wanted. I can usually tell when my fur family have had enough, but I am not sure with Cherry. Hovis does seem more fed up. He is also losing weight, which is a worry as he is eating well.

The vet was not in favour of amputating Hovis' leg and intimated PTS would be kinder. Given how much Cherry has suffered I tend to agree, but then I also know that bunnies can live happily as tripods.

I've been signed off work for another month today as I am still very unstable. I cry easily and if a patient was abusive I know I couldn't cope.

I've put Hovis on tramadol too as I don't want him to suffer.

I'm just glad I am home from work so I can keep an eye on them both. Cherry actually seems happier than Hovis.

I'm so sorry to hear this :cry:

Clare-uk
23-11-2015, 11:15 PM
I'm so sorry, wish I could offer wise words or answers :(

Sending lots of strength and vibes for all of you x

Rhianna
24-11-2015, 05:13 PM
A very sad ending to this thread. Both Hovis and Cherry were helped to the Bridge a short time ago:cry:

Hovis' x-ray showed that his hock bone has been eaten away by infection. The vet would have sent cultures to the lab to see if there was anything that could be done but said that the only options she could see was to have the bone fused - which they couldn't do there, or for him to have his leg amputated. His other rear leg is infected too so this was unlikely to have a good outcome.

Hovis has not been happy despite me giving him tramadol. He was eating but sporadically, although he had actually put on some weight. I felt that he had had enough. I would not have had Cherry put to sleep yet but she would have been bereft without Hovis and her stump is frequently sore and bleeding where she is not using her remaining hind leg. She was eating well but watching her struggle to move around was heart-breaking. I don't think she would have coped with being bonded and once I go back to work I'll be out of the house for 8 hours at a time and she would have been lonely.

I held them one at a time while the vet injected the canula in their ears. They went to sleep quickly and peacefully and I had time with them beforehand to tell them how much I loved them. My partner was with me and he was in tears too. He has buried them in the garden for me. I had been having pets cremated because I was intending to move but I am now hoping I can stay here if I get a lodger, reduce my monthly outgoings through switching providers and access one of my pensions early on health grounds. Even if I can't get it early I am entitled to it next October anyway, which I hadn't realised until today.

I hope I've done the right thing. John said when he last saw Hovis he would not want to amputate his leg as it was a different situation to Cherry. He also intimated that the outcome for Cherry was not good. I feel bad as there is part of me that is relieved at not having to keep medicating them and bathing poor Cherry. They hated it and I felt bad keep doing it.

I just hope I didn't give up too soon:cry::cry:

Jack's-Jane
24-11-2015, 05:17 PM
A very sad ending to this thread. Both Hovis and Cherry were helped to the Bridge a short time ago:cry:

Hovis' x-ray showed that his hock bone has been eaten away by infection. The vet would have sent cultures to the lab to see if there was anything that could be done but said that the only options she could see was to have the bone fused - which they couldn't do there, or for him to have his leg amputated. His other rear leg is infected too so this was unlikely to have a good outcome.

Hovis has not been happy despite me giving him tramadol. He was eating but sporadically, although he had actually put on some weight. I felt that he had had enough. I would not have had Cherry put to sleep yet but she would have been bereft without Hovis and her stump is frequently sore and bleeding where she is not using her remaining hind leg. She was eating well but watching her struggle to move around was heart-breaking. I don't think she would have coped with being bonded and once I go back to work I'll be out of the house for 8 hours at a time and she would have been lonely.

I held them one at a time while the vet injected the canula in their ears. They went to sleep quickly and peacefully and I had time with them beforehand to tell them how much I loved them. My partner was with me and he was in tears too. He has buried them in the garden for me. I had been having pets cremated because I was intending to move but I am now hoping I can stay here if I get a lodger, reduce my monthly outgoings through switching providers and access one of my pensions early on health grounds. Even if I can't get it early I am entitled to it next October anyway, which I hadn't realised until today.

I hope I've done the right thing. John said when he last saw Hovis he would not want to amputate his leg as it was a different situation to Cherry. He also intimated that the outcome for Cherry was not good. I feel bad as there is part of me that is relieved at not having to keep medicating them and bathing poor Cherry. They hated it and I felt bad keep doing it.

I am really sorry Karen, I think you made the kindest decision for both of them. You have taken into account both their physical well-being and their psychological well-being. You put their needs first which shows true love an compassion for two dear friends

RIP Cherry and Hovis xx

tonibun
24-11-2015, 05:21 PM
Feel so sorry for you, it's heartbreaking at the time but I am in no doubt you did the right thing.

Zoobec
24-11-2015, 05:22 PM
I'm so sorry :cry: I think you did the kindest and best thing for them both. Binky free Cherry and Hovis xx

tabithakat64
24-11-2015, 05:25 PM
So sorry for your loss :( Binky free and the bridge little ones

Glingle
24-11-2015, 05:26 PM
You made the right decision. I'm sure we all doubt ourselves after making that decision as it's the start of the grieving process. Sending you love and hugs and sleep tight love to the two little ones xxx

Bunny Buddy
24-11-2015, 05:27 PM
So, so sorry after all the hard work with Cherry it's come to this but you have so much to be proud of in the way you have cared for her and given her every chance. They have been lucky to have you fighting their corner.

Roly Poly
24-11-2015, 05:51 PM
I am so sorry that you had to make such a difficult decision :cry::cry::cry:

Sweet dreams Cherry and Hovis, together forever, you will be very much missed xx

joey&boo
24-11-2015, 06:03 PM
I'm so very sorry you lost you're beautiful rabbits. You've shown them the ultimate act of kindness letting them find peace at the same time & to me your timing seems right. My heart goes out to you. Sweet dreams Cherry & Hovis xx

Barn Yard Bunnies
24-11-2015, 06:25 PM
I am so very very sorry you had to say goodbye to Hovis and Cherry. Hugs xxx

Omi
24-11-2015, 06:28 PM
I am so sorry you had to make this hard decision for Cherry and Hovis :cry: It is heartbreaking, but I also think you have done what was right for them. Sending hugs.

Casco
24-11-2015, 06:36 PM
So sorry to read your update. It sounds like you have made the right decision for Cherry and Hovis. Sending hugs x

benjiboom
24-11-2015, 07:00 PM
Sorry for the loss of your two bunnies xx

mariposa
24-11-2015, 07:08 PM
Really sorry to read this, sounds like the right decision. Big hugs xxxx

Fluffybunny54
24-11-2015, 07:11 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss. You really couldn't have done more for Cherry and Hovis. IWe all know how you feel. Bless. RIP lovely bunnies xxxxx

tulsi
24-11-2015, 07:37 PM
So sorry for your loss. It sounds like life is being difficult for you atm. Hope things look up soon. RIP Cherry and Hovis.

Clare-uk
24-11-2015, 07:42 PM
Oh I'm so very heart broken for you :cry: you know they are together forever at the bridge. Both strong again and free from any pain.

I'm just lost for words. Sending you the biggest hugs xx

Scrappy's Little Helper
24-11-2015, 07:43 PM
I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to Cherry and Hovis today :cry: Such a heartbreakingly difficult decision but you did the right thing for both of them. Also sending you hugs as I know you're having a very tough time at the moment. xx

MightyMax
24-11-2015, 07:51 PM

I am so sorry Rhianna :cry:

You did the right thing by both of your beloved rabbits.

They are at peace now, having been cared for so lovingly .. RIP Cherry and Hovis xx

Babsie
24-11-2015, 08:26 PM
Sweet dreams Hovis and Cherry.:(

bunslave
24-11-2015, 08:56 PM
Nobody can doubt you always put their needs before yours and gave them all the love and care in the world. Today you gave them a final gift of love. Binky free Cherry and Hovis xx

bunniemum
24-11-2015, 09:16 PM
I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to Cherry and Hovis today; it's never an easy decision to make. But I hope you can take some comfort in that you fought your best for them, and they are now both at peace and free from pain. xx

esupi
24-11-2015, 09:43 PM
I'm really sorry Rhianna. I've had fingers crossed for these two but it sounds like it was best for them x

newbabybuns
24-11-2015, 10:04 PM
I am sorry that you lost them both and as hard as it was to make the decision it sounds like the right one for them both. Sweet dreams Hovis and Cherry xxx

daphnephoebe
24-11-2015, 10:10 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. x

Vanessa.B
24-11-2015, 10:16 PM
I am so sorry you have had to say goodbye to Cherry and Hovis. Even knowing you have done the right thing doesn't make it any easier. Sleep tight brave bunnies x

Rhianna
24-11-2015, 10:44 PM
Thank you all. I feel like it was too soon for cherry but the vet said hovis was in pain and I didn't want him to go through what cherry did. The kitchen looks so empty and I don't know what to do with the stable matting.

I used to have 11 buns and now only have four. I wish I could adopt more but I can't afford the vet bills. Cherry's was horrendous and I'm lucky John is so good about waiting for the money.

I forgot to take a piece of their fur too.

Hele
24-11-2015, 10:51 PM
I am so very sorry :(

Binky free Cherry and Hovis xxx

MimzMum
25-11-2015, 01:37 AM
I'm so very sorry, Rhianna. ((((((((((((((Huge hugs)))))))))))))))
It's never easy to say goodbye, but you have been so courageous through all of this and with the other challenges you have faced. And Cherry and Hovis have been so loved and cared for by you. They were so fortunate to have you as their mum.

Try not to think of how the end has come, but for all the love and memories you have had with them to this point. I know it is hard. :cry:

Sleep well and sweet dreams, Cherry and Hovis. Please watch over your mum from the Rainbow. xxxxxxx

Fellie
25-11-2015, 09:23 AM
I am so very very sorry...you fought so hard for Cherry and Hovis, nobody could have done more.

Binky free together sweethearts.

xxx

Hugo's There
25-11-2015, 01:12 PM
I'm very sorry it has all had to end this way :( xx

Lea-Anne
25-11-2015, 01:36 PM
What an awful decision to have to make ( but the right one by the sounds of it). Thinking of you. x

Rhianna
25-11-2015, 03:12 PM
There's a huge bunny shaped hole in the kitchen :(:( I woke at 0500 and couldn't go back to sleep as I was thinking about them outside in the cold.

I usually adopt a needy bun when I lose one but I know that that would be madness with the state of my finances and I won't be that irresponsible. Am wondering about maybe fostering but am unsure if any of the local rescues do fostering any more. I fostered once for Cat and Rabbit Rescue but I have a feeling they discontinued the scheme.

I am usually sure I've made the right decision but it was less clear cut this time - Hovis could have had treatment, although the vet said the outlook was not good. Cherry struggled so much as a tripod I didn't want another bun to go through that and Hovis was not happy and had started to lose interest in his food. John had said he didn't think amputation was an option for Hovis when he last saw him.

I know that Hovis should have gone to the vet sooner. When I did take him the vet said it was a sore hock, gave me antibiotics and suggested I changed his flooring, which I did. I was so busy with Cherry and then went into hospital so didn't take Hovis back as soon as I should have done. Gem kindly took him for me once she realised he wasn't using his rear leg. By then he had developed an abscess. It didn't respond to treatment sadly.

I feel I've let them both down. Cherry was so brave throughout her illness and neither of them ever tried to bite me - not once, despite all the hands on nursing I had to do. They were gorgeous rabbits and I hope they are happy now at the Bridge. I do believe in an afterlife for animals as well as ourselves, which is helping a little.

Losing two in one day was hard. It happened with my cats - one was put to sleep and the other died naturally on the same day - but I've never had two animals put to sleep together before. It was overwhelming:(

Barn Yard Bunnies
25-11-2015, 03:18 PM
:cry: You tried your best and it definately sounds like you made the right decision. Having a beloved pet pts is a horrible experience but two would be doubly painful. Hugs xxx

daphnephoebe
25-11-2015, 03:19 PM
You've nothing to feel bad for - you done what was in their best interest and prevented them from completely losing their quality of life. You were an amazing mum to those bunnies and they were very much loved by you. No doubt about it.

I understand how difficult it is to have two pets put to sleep on the same day. I had two ferrets that I hand reared and one day they both became unwell. One developed cancer of the bone which we couldn't operate on as we'd have to remove half her ribcage and the other had what we thought might have been aseptic peritonitis but we couldn't get a proper diagnosis.

They both held on for each other until the bitter end when I took them in because they just weren't themselves. Dylan held on until he knew his sister had gone then he followed her over the bridge. I still break down thinking about them and a friend of mine even painted a picture of the last three I lost (Chance, Dylan and Sita). (Chance went about a week before Dylan & Sita).

Its never easy to say goodbye to them but you need to know that you done everything to give them the best life they could have ever asked for and I'm sure they are grateful for it and watching over you now.

Carob
26-11-2015, 08:05 PM
Hugs Karen!

Clare-uk
26-11-2015, 11:14 PM
Still thinking of you x

Rhianna
27-11-2015, 10:39 PM
Thank you. I keep forgetting they're not there and go to medicate them.

Glingle
28-11-2015, 02:38 PM
Sending you more love, hugs and coping vibes xxx

Rhianna
28-11-2015, 06:18 PM
Thank you. I've got four cats and two guinea-pigs but the house seems so empty without house bunnies. I still feel I let Cherry down by having her put to sleep too soon because of Hovis going to the Bridge. They had such a close bond and I couldn't have bonded her with my outdoor quad - she couldn't have coped with the concrete outside. She wasn't using her existing back leg either and her stump was sore where it was dragging on the vet bed/stable matting.

Am going to look at the Cat and Rabbit Rescue website to see if they have any indoor buns who need fostering.

Glingle
28-11-2015, 06:52 PM
You didn't let Cherry down. You knew that there wasn't going to be a happy ending for her condition, but whilst she had Hovis for company she had some fight in her. You had to let Hovis go and she would have been lost without him and so would have suffered mentally as well as physically. You did the absolute best for both of them. It wasn't a choice. Sending you lots of love and hugs xxxx

Rhianna
28-11-2015, 10:37 PM
You didn't let Cherry down. You knew that there wasn't going to be a happy ending for her condition, but whilst she had Hovis for company she had some fight in her. You had to let Hovis go and she would have been lost without him and so would have suffered mentally as well as physically. You did the absolute best for both of them. It wasn't a choice. Sending you lots of love and hugs xxxx

I'm in tears reading this but thank you so much. You're right - it was more her mental health that concerned me in the end rather than her physical problems. She had been so brave though. Both Cherry and Hovis were such good patients for me. It was as if they knew I was recovering from an op myself and co-operated so as to make it easier for me. I do miss them both :(

catherine09
29-11-2015, 02:08 PM
Sorry I haven't been around here much lately, so only just seen this sad update :(

Binky free beautiful babies, free of pain now :cry:

*hugs* Karen - I hope you're coping?

Rhianna
29-11-2015, 06:58 PM
Sorry I haven't been around here much lately, so only just seen this sad update :(

Binky free beautiful babies, free of pain now :cry:

*hugs* Karen - I hope you're coping?

I'm very up and down. Still off work with depression and on SSP only which is causing problems. Hopefully I will soon be well enough to go back to work. Am staying with Barnyard Bunnies next weekend which always cheers me up.

My four send you lots of nose rubs - they really enjoyed their stay with you. xxx

catherine09
29-11-2015, 06:59 PM
I'm very up and down. Still off work with depression and on SSP only which is causing problems. Hopefully I will soon be well enough to go back to work. Am staying with Barnyard Bunnies next weekend which always cheers me up.

My four send you lots of nose rubs - they really enjoyed their stay with you. xxx

Aw I miss them - I bet they are enjoying all that run space together now :)

I hope things start to improve for you :(

tlcwrites
01-12-2015, 09:26 PM
I am so sorry it had to end this way. You fought tooth and nail for them both, in spite of being in poor health yourself. The decision is always agonising and never gets easier. You didn't give up on either of them and gave them the dignity they needed when the time came.

Huge hugs - and look after yourself xxx

Tracy
02-12-2015, 12:21 PM
I am so sorry to read this sad news. :cry: You tried so very hard for them and you certainly haven't let either of them down. They were both fortunate to have someone who cared and loved them so much. Letting them go is always one of the worst and hardest decisions we have to make, but it is our final act of love and kindness.

Sleep well Cherry and Hovis. xx

Rhianna
02-12-2015, 02:06 PM
Thank you so much. It helps a lot to have somewhere to come and share with people who I know understand. Apart from the real life friends I have made through RU my friends don't really 'get' the whole bunny thing.

I held both Hovis and Cherry in my arms whilst they were put to sleep and I can't forget how they went all floppy. They trusted me. My partner was with me which helped as well as the vet and a vet nurse but I was distraught over Hovis and then I had to hold Cherry. I hate the fact they both died after being scared all day at the vet, but pleased it was a local vet and they hadn't had to cope with the long trip to Andover.