• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lump above eye

DebbieC

Warren Scout
Hello I'm after some advice
My bunny has got a red lump above one eye. He had it a few months ago and the vet said if it doesn't go down in a month bring him back to have it removed under anaesthetic as she didn't know what it was and is risky getting samples from it while he's awake because of how close to eye it is. It went down after a couple of weeks though. But now it's come back. It doesn't appear to bother him and he doesn't flinch when it's touched. He's got vets booked for tomorrow but I'm worried about it being removed, would everyone here advise this to be the safest option? It scares me that it will cause more problems? 😞

Hello, it is very difficult to suggest what the 'lump' may be without being able to see it. I am sure that in the hands of a Rabbit Savvy Vet the minor op' to remove it will be straightforward. Given the lump's apparent close proximity to the eye removing it under sedation is by far the safest option. Less stressful for your Rabbit too.

Do let us know how he get's on.

Hello I'm after some advice
My bunny has got a red lump above one eye. He had it a few months ago and the vet said if it doesn't go down in a month bring him back to have it removed under anaesthetic as she didn't know what it was and is risky getting samples from it while he's awake because of how close to eye it is. It went down after a couple of weeks though. But now it's come back. It doesn't appear to bother him and he doesn't flinch when it's touched. He's got vets booked for tomorrow but I'm worried about it being removed, would everyone here advise this to be the safest option? It scares me that it will cause more problems? 😞

If this were my rabbit, and the lump was getting bigger or more angry looking, then I would certainly get a very experienced vet to remove it. If it's not bothering him then you can have a discussion with your vet as to whether to leave it a bit longer or not ...

My late Snowy had a lump above his eye. The vet said it was a wart. Vet tied some suture thread around it and it fell off about 5 weeks later. It never came back. I should think a rabbit savvy vet would have a good look at it through a magnifying glass first before subjecting bunny to a GA

Back