• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to go about family members, who disagree...

BunnyMania

Young Bun
I've been considering another rabbit for a while, and beside the lack of rabbits who would suit me and my current girl in the rescues 'local' to me, there is another issue that comes up.

I'm a student and still living with my mother. She has owned rabbits in the past, including when I was young. However they were always single, outdoor rabbits. It was hard enough getting her over the thought of my girl being spayed, and living indoors, let alone...another rabbit.

As she's never had issues with her single rabbits in the past she feels that they don't need companions. Now of course, I disagree. At present my timetable works so that I'm not away from home for very long most days, and can spend time with Belle but I know that this may well change in the future, and I can't be there for her at night or most of the day. The problem is that mum doesn't feel that she needs a friend, and that having another rabbit in the house would smell (again, I disagree, Belle is litter trained so there's no problem with smells there).

Has anyone else had to deal with something similar from a family member before? Am I fighting a losing battle?

I've even taken a few leaflets from my vets about how rabbits need a companion, she won't acknowledge them!

I suppose you could take her to see rabbits that are living in pairs or groups, or perhaps find some videos about them on YouTube. If she already likes rabbits, she might be moved by seeing how happy they are when they're with friends.

She does love rabbits, in fact she doesn't even have a problem with the occasional rabbit foster, but she doesn't see why they should have a companion. I suppose because she hasn't seen two rabbits together, only ever single bunnies.

I can't take her to see some living together because I don't personally have friends who own rabbits, and there are no rescue centres nearby.

I would show her YouTube videos but found it surprisingly hard to find some good ones, and often, she won't want to watch!

Cottontails rescue have loads of brilliant videos of rabbits in pairs. I cant work out where the youtube link is there doesnt seem to be a search

http://cottontails-rescue.org.uk

Hopefully your mum will enjoy browsing their really informative website.

Id want to ask her if she thinks bunnnies are ok living byu themselves then why do wild rabbits live in huge groups? Also being a prey animal they do rely on each other to keep an eye out for predators whilst grazing..now no matter how much we say oh but the rabits fine whilst grazing as she is safe in her run or we are nearby - the rabbit wont know that.
They rely on other bunnies body movements, sounds & thumps and only feel safe when they know some bunny is on watch. Id say that even though rabbits have been domesticated they are still very much in touch with their wild instincts....and would not choose to live alone...its very cruel & stressful for them. And if she felt the rabbits she has had were fine...did she ask them? No of course not - but then she did not get to see the joy of bunnies playing, chasing, grooming & snuggling up together..we all need a friend of our own kind.

ps - I am not of course making any accusations against those people who do have single rabbits for what ever reason..more along what could help her show her mum a different perspective. :)

I'm really sorry...but it's your Mum's house...she can say whether or not you get another rabbit while you live with her...

You could ask her to imagine living on her own with no visitors and no human company - just a rabbit that pops in from time to time to see her.

It is incredibly difficult changing peoples minds once they are set in a certain belief...all you can do is just keep on at her and maybe she'll agree just to get you to shut up :lol:

Back