• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bit worried about Fluffy - Update

FredW

Alpha Buck
It was their veg time, and usually both of them are waiting for it... Fluffy however wasn't. He was sitting on one of the shelves sleeping. I called him, and he didn't come. So I gave him a green bean, his favourite, and he didn't even look at it. I was able to pick him up and he didn't struggle as much as usual. still a bit, but not too much. I put him back in the pen and he went straight on his bed again. I tried giving him one of his favourite treats, dried apple, and he didn't look at it. he has cleaned himself a couple of times since, but then just goes back to sleep, his eyes always close a bit when he sleeps and his nose of course moves less. so I am wondering, could he just be really tired? he did play a lot in his new digging box, and run around like crazy. but he does that usually all the time anyway. Just never seen him that lifeless really. He was eating normal all day, and from what I could tell did toilet too, drunk plenty etc. so no idea if I should start panicking and calling the vet tomorrow, or if he may just be over tired? any help?

Last edited:
I would panic - definitely. In fact I would be on the phone very first thing to the vet and get him there asap - dont let them try and give you a late in the day appt.

Definitely an urgent vet visit tomorrow morning. Rabbits go downhill really quickly when there is something wrong - and they don't show it until it is serious. If you think there is something wrong, there probably is. Follow your instincts.

Meanwhile, is he eating anything?
Pooing? Normally, or reduced output or small / hard / odd shaped?
Moving around OK? He may have an injury from his earlier activity.
Are his ears cold? They shouldn't feel cold - compare his to another bunny's - he may need to be kept warmer overnight.

ok, quick update....
he started eating his fresh willow (still had some in the fridge), was eating some hay, ate some of the veg that was left. had his dried apple, that he had still next to him sitting. "fought" Bunbuns for some dried forage, well when I said fought, was more a case of trying to get it first.
had a poo, normal sized and a handful
did LOADS of wee
groomed Bunbuns, groomed himself. Run around... and even started pulling food from his hanger.
He's more his normal self again
checked him over, his tummy wasn't swollen, his ears normal....

this was him a few minutes ago
EatingAgain.jpg

I have still no clue what was wrong with him. will still call the vet in the morning to find out.

yeah they do know how to worry us, don't they. Well thank god for your willow, it was that which really got him moving again :) Told you he really loves that stuff.
still gonna check with the vet in the morning, as something wasn't quite right, but at least I don't need to stress all night now.

Sounds like all is well :thumb:

Keep an eye .. Just in case it happens again - really hope not.

He looks so sweet with his toys! x

yeah it's hard to tell now anyway, as he starts going to sleep at this time till sometimes in the night. so he is getting quieter again. but will see how it goes. I just hope I check on him later tonight and he's his cheeky normal self and not this lifeless little baby he was a few hours ago.
fingers crossed he stays how he was just now.

Little update this morning.... he was waiting for his food when I came with it, wolfed it down like always. then when I opened the pen he run out, binky, run, play chase Bunbuns, run to play in his digging box, where he is in right now. Basically he's exactly how he is every morning. Phoned his regular vet, who said to keep an eye on him but he was confident that he is ok and probably just had some wind which much have cleared. looking at him right now, I don't even feel its the same bunny I was so stressed out over yesterday, he is exactly the same as every morning. and he just came out the digging box, did a massive binky and is now foraging in his box.

How's Fluffy this morning? Oops, just noticed your update. Hope he goes on feeling better. they do scare you, don't they. If he had a bit of bloat, they suddenly get very cold. That makes them lethargic. Hope he goes on improving.

Last edited:
yeah after an hour of playing like crazy. he just gave me a big nose bump and looked at me as if to stay "stop fussing" and went to have a little nap with Bunbuns. they always have a little sleep for half an hour or so around this time. He is laying stretched out with his head on her tummy, as he does. no crouching or anything. they should stay like it for another 20mins now or so, then he'll be off to his foraging box, before doing a big running around and back in his digging box, before then sleeping from 11:30/12:00 up to about 17:00 or so with only the occasional toilet run. And then when up after that he wont stop again for at least an hour or two of going crazy before he goes back in his run all sleeping from being Crazy Fluf. but lucky enough my normal vet is on late tonight, so can see him till about 21:00, by which time we know for sure if Fluffy is all better. he did say to call him either way this afternoon anyway.

Glad to hear he is back to normal. I would still keep an eye on him for a few days, just in case there is something lurking in the background.

Glad to hear he is back to normal. I would still keep an eye on him for a few days, just in case there is something lurking in the background.

oh yeah definitely. he's just sitting in the litter tray next to me filling it up nicely. how so much poo and wee can come out of this little boy beats me lol

Little update this morning.... he was waiting for his food when I came with it, wolfed it down like always. then when I opened the pen he run out, binky, run, play chase Bunbuns, run to play in his digging box, where he is in right now. Basically he's exactly how he is every morning. Phoned his regular vet, who said to keep an eye on him but he was confident that he is ok and probably just had some wind which much have cleared. looking at him right now, I don't even feel its the same bunny I was so stressed out over yesterday, he is exactly the same as every morning. and he just came out the digging box, did a massive binky and is now foraging in his box.

Oooh look at this :wave: Go Fluffy!

Well done Fluffy! It does sound like the gas related incidents my bunnies have. They disappear as quick as they start as if nothing was wrong. It is good you know his routine so well to spot when he is off :love: x

yeah he was fine all yesterday and is just as perky this morning. so yep looks like gas. Lisa from Bunny Mad magazine suggested me to get Infacol for when something like that happens again.
I spend all day with them, as I work from home and they are in the same room as my pc. I am literally with them from when I get up till I go to bed, apart from when I eat dinner... or have to go out, so I spot any changes like that instantly ;)
he's back in his digging box already, never get him out of that thing anymore lol

Back