• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Concerns post neutering (girls)

MarshMellie

Young Bun
We had Bonnie and Roo spayed yesterday. Everything went well and they were both eating etc fine after the op. They came home last night with medication for a few days (pain relief and something to prevent infection. They are normally free ranging, but we have confined them to their cage for a few days as per the vets recommendation to keep them quiet and to monitor their recovery. Roo seems a little quiet, but happy enough, moving around the cage, eating, drinking and using the litter try. Bonnie on the other hand is concerning me. I have only seen her nibble at food, rather than properly eating, I've not seen her drink or use the litter tray. She hasn't apparently moved from one corner of the cage and she looks stressed. I have been out at work for a large part of the day so have only been observing her this evening, but I am getting concerned. Does anyone have any advice or able to say if this is normal post op?

Is Roo a boy? Males recover much quicker than females do. Girls tend to take a couple of days before they are starting to move very much as their surgery is more invasive. Did your vet give you pain relief and critical care food to give her? One of my girls was not moving at all, not eating or even drinking etc until we used a syringe to give her some critical care food - kind of have to force it into their mouth- but after she had that she perked up ever so slightly and managed to have a drink.
If you weren't given any of the food then I believe you can make it yourself by smushing up pellets in some water to make a thickish liquid

I'm sorry Bonnie is giving you cause for concern :( with my two spayed girls both of them went like that afterwards. I offered them everything to eat that they liked, but in the end had to annoy them by waving a dandelion leaf in their faces so they grabbed it off me and ate it by accident. I don't think they moved from a corner either for absolutely ages. Mine are not at all happy with handling/vet/car trips so I think part of it was they were quite traumatised from that. (Our vets make them have an overnight stay after a GA).

It sounds like you have pain medication for them which is good. Do you have a post op check? I think ours was a few days after the spay and then again a week after that.

Do you have a heat pad? She may appreciate the option of a warm spot while she recovers from the anaesthetic.

It is important that you get some food into her regularly (eg every 2 or 3 hours) to keep her guts working - offer her some of her favourites, or mush up her usual pellets and syringe or spoon feed if she won't take it. Baby food also works well - veg based, no cheese. Some come in a squeezy bag with a nozzle - ideal for feeding reluctant rabbits. They usually do a carrot one or an apple one. At the moment, anything is better than nothing, and she should perk up in a couple of days.

We had Bonnie and Roo spayed yesterday. Everything went well and they were both eating etc fine after the op. They came home last night with medication for a few days (pain relief and something to prevent infection. They are normally free ranging, but we have confined them to their cage for a few days as per the vets recommendation to keep them quiet and to monitor their recovery. Roo seems a little quiet, but happy enough, moving around the cage, eating, drinking and using the litter try. Bonnie on the other hand is concerning me. I have only seen her nibble at food, rather than properly eating, I've not seen her drink or use the litter tray. She hasn't apparently moved from one corner of the cage and she looks stressed. I have been out at work for a large part of the day so have only been observing her this evening, but I am getting concerned. Does anyone have any advice or able to say if this is normal post op?

Awww sorry to hear about Bonnie!

I should ring the vet in the morning if she's no better, and ask if she's on the max dose of Metacam. Have you tried tempting with herbs? Mine like coriander especially :)

I hope she starts eating and feeling better very soon :)

Thanks for your replies everyone. They are both girls. We were getting quite concerned last night and then realised that they were getting a bit aggresive with each other so we opened up the cage. They have never been confined before (except when they were a few weeks old) and they had spent 48 hours in close quarters. Letting them out made a world of difference, straight away Bonnie started to explore, went and had a drink and then started eating. They both look much better today, although goodness knows how I'm going to get their medication into them, the cage was handy for cornering them! One is currently behind the sofa and the other is underneath it.

Thanks for your replies everyone. They are both girls. We were getting quite concerned last night and then realised that they were getting a bit aggresive with each other so we opened up the cage. They have never been confined before (except when they were a few weeks old) and they had spent 48 hours in close quarters. Letting them out made a world of difference, straight away Bonnie started to explore, went and had a drink and then started eating. They both look much better today, although goodness knows how I'm going to get their medication into them, the cage was handy for cornering them! One is currently behind the sofa and the other is underneath it.

Ah great :D

They could relax now they didn't have to be on one another's doorsteps!

Back