• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Firework Night

Plushlops

Young Bun
Hi all

What does everyone do when there's fireworks?

I get quite a lot where I live and it goes on for near on a week, sometimes longer.

Does anyones rabbits seem affected by them? Does anyone do anything particular to help bunnies affected by them?

Thanks

I just leave my tv on but turned up louder. Huge pile of hay and feed every now and then to check on them. It helps that mine are indoors though, I don't really have to change much. I leave the tv on for them all the time anyway :lol:

My buns were indoor rabbits they just lay on the carpet and snoozed through bonfire night.I used to fret more than they did.They were used to the TV etc,not sure about outdoor buns.

I do nothing but worry about the rabbits when fireworks are going off.
The outdoor rabbits couldn't care less, neither could the indoors. It helps that Leo is deaf but it's me that has anxiety attacks over the noise! Last year they were going off for a couple of nights until midnight-1am right behind the house and I was in such a fizz worrying about the rabbits but they were fine, I was not :lol:

I do tend to pile more hay into the litter trays as one likes to dig and snuggle, but Donny ends up sprawled in the middle of the shed though. That really bad storm not long ago, I had a massive panic attack during it, Donny was star fishing and fast asleep!!?

There was a brief burst of firework activity here a few nights ago, and it spooked both of mine (indoor bunnies) enough that they rushed back into their cages. They calmed down pretty quickly, so I'm hoping they'll be okay next month.

When I had outdoor rabbits that were prone to stasis, I brought them inside, but had to have the window wide open and heating off, so the temperature difference wasn't too much. It was quite a temperature shock for me, on the other hand!

Two of mine are in the conservatory so I put a speaker from the CD player in there and slowly make it louder, while the other speaker is in the dining room with our other bunny. I give them a big pile of hay and veg to get stuck into and they seem ok with it. I sometimes sit out stroking them too.

It really annoys me when people set them off randomly and I haven't had a chance to sort anything out! Last year someone decided Boxing Day was a good day to have a fireworks party :censored:

Last year they were all absolutley fine - Prudhoe was a bit spooked but he had just come to us and wasn't used to load noises. When we lived in our flat - the people in the flat above us embarked on a complete renovation - hammering and drilling etc - they kept apologising but they did us / the buns a massive favour as they are now completely impervious to loud bangs now:D

I will keep a close eye on Joey though - he hasn't gone through it yet - but will have the fan on and radio and hopefully he'll be okay.

None of mine seemed at all fazed. Especially now that we live in the middle of the countryside as opposed to in the village.

Poor Jojo (labrador x) is a shivering panting wreck despite a thundershirt (esp for scardey dogs).

Lopsy didn't care last year: I have a feeling Aboleth will be off about it but we've provided an extra hidey hole in the playhouse and will cover the mini-hutch again. She was being weird about next door's car spray booth (it's a car repair place) having a ladder against it and a bloke on the roof last Saturday, and sometimes she gets skittish with aeroplanes and helicopters, but other times she's fine with them. She's a bit inconsistent!

Back