• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Inner/Middle Ear Infection Decision?

MandyLouise

Young Bun
My girl has been suffering with wax/pus in her ears for a few months now, I've been keeping them as clean as I can, and giving antibiotics and pain relief. After having a chat with our vet this week, she thinks putting her thorough a op (think it's called Lateral Ear Canal Resection) would not be the best idea as it's in both ears, that she doubts will solve the underlying problem. They offered a CT scan but it's quite a journey and she gets stressed just going to the vets, so she said only do that if I went with the op. The only other option would be to give life long antibiotics and keep it at bay with cleaning for as long as I can, until the pain gets too much. I'm 99% sure I won't be putting her through the operation - I've done some research, it's just such a big and complex one but wanted to know if anyone had any other ideas or experience? Sorry if I'm rambling. :cry:

Last edited:
Nearly every lop will end up with this problem. It needs to be managed not operated on as even the op won't get rid of the infection and it is a long risky op that leaves horrid wounds to heal. I had three rabbits have it a few years ago and don't think it was worth putting them through, especially as the two who only had one ear done ended up with the other one getting bad.

Tbh antibiotics are a waste of time for ear infections. They don't touch them. It is impossible to get a high enough level of antibiotic into that area of the body. But pain relief is very important. A good clean of abcesses needs to be done monthly to prevent pressure building up. If the pus is actually oozing out to the outer ear cleaning needs to be done more often. Never put a cotton bud down the ear beyond where you can see. Instead massage the pus out of the abscess until you can scoop it out. I find dermisol liquid very effective at loosening plugs. I have more than a dozen rabbits that need this done regularly. I have spent years working out the best way to deal with them. I have tried every drug combo, every type of ear drop, operations, lancing, daily cleaning, everything. This is the best way. After the initial pain of the abscess forming when the rabbit clearly feels a good deal of discomfort and may go off their food they adapt and can have a very good quality of life for years.

Nearly every lop will end up with this problem. It needs to be managed not operated on as even the op won't get rid of the infection and it is a long risky op that leaves horrid wounds to heal. I had three rabbits have it a few years ago and don't think it was worth putting them through, especially as the two who only had one ear done ended up with the other one getting bad.

Tbh antibiotics are a waste of time for ear infections. They don't touch them. It is impossible to get a high enough level of antibiotic into that area of the body. But pain relief is very important. A good clean of abcesses needs to be done monthly to prevent pressure building up. If the pus is actually oozing out to the outer ear cleaning needs to be done more often. Never put a cotton bud down the ear beyond where you can see. Instead massage the pus out of the abscess until you can scoop it out. I find dermisol liquid very effective at loosening plugs. I have more than a dozen rabbits that need this done regularly. I have spent years working out the best way to deal with them. I have tried every drug combo, every type of ear drop, operations, lancing, daily cleaning, everything. This is the best way. After the initial pain of the abscess forming when the rabbit clearly feels a good deal of discomfort and may go off their food they adapt and can have a very good quality of life for years.
Thank you for the advice, it's made me feel a lot better. Will defiantly try the Dermisol!

My lop had the lateral wall resection and then a total ear canal ablation in both ears.The problem with these ops is that the infection can be aggravated and in the case of the TECA trapped inside the middle ear which then cannot be treated.My lop also had months of abx before deciding on the ops and tbh I wish I hadn't opted for the ops.It can be frustrating,i know but management is your best bet.
I agree that pain relief is very important.Sometimes Metacam even twice daily at max doseage wasn't enough for my Harry.We topped up the pain relief with Tramadol at times which helped to keep him comfortable.
I'm sorry youre going through this.I hope your girls infection can get to a manageable level very soon.

My lop had the lateral wall resection and then a total ear canal ablation in both ears.The problem with these ops is that the infection can be aggravated and in the case of the TECA trapped inside the middle ear which then cannot be treated.My lop also had months of abx before deciding on the ops and tbh I wish I hadn't opted for the ops.It can be frustrating,i know but management is your best bet.
I agree that pain relief is very important.Sometimes Metacam even twice daily at max doseage wasn't enough for my Harry.We topped up the pain relief with Tramadol at times which helped to keep him comfortable.
I'm sorry youre going through this.I hope your girls infection can get to a manageable level very soon.

Thank you, I've definitely ruled the op out, on top of the risks, we would have to do a lot of traveling which she hates. Going to stick with the cleaning and pain relief, will chat about the antibiotics with my vet at our next appointment. Just hope I can do my best for her and make how ever much time she has left amazing, *fingers crossed* it's a good few years. :)

Back