• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new, advice needed

hartsley

New Kit
Hi, upon taking my two male rabbits to the vets for castration I get a call to say one is female.

The male has been done and the female is booked in for next week.

Im worried as they are bonded and are always sat together, I am worried that the female is already pregnant (never seen any activity and we are with then a lot they groom each other.
Worried that I have to separate them and the bond will go?

They were born on 24th may this year

As your female is booked in for next week then hopefully all will be well and you won't need to separate them. When the female comes home from being spayed make sure the male bunny doesn't chase her etc. If so just keep her separate for thr first night then try again the next day. Her recovery is paramount and the chances of her being pregnant are slim. Hope the neuters go well and they remain bonded.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm hoping she's not all ready pregnant, but I have seen no activity (spent most of the day with them in the garden yesterday, only grooming each other on the head)

I will separate tonight by putting the male in the pet carrier in the rabbit run so they can still interact and let them together while we are watching them.

I know its hard to sex rabbits but we were assured that they were both males, she was extremely sure.

to be honest you are probably better off having a male and female as they make the easiest bonding. 2 males can work but you have a higher chance of them falling out and fighting than a male and female. If she is in early pregnancy the vet can still neuter her and you won't end up with the babies and having to re home them.

Hi, thanks for your reply, is there a way the vet can check for pregnancy beforehand? They are 5 mths in a couple of weeks and we haven't seen any mating or behaviour at all and we are with them a lot, but not all the time

Yes, I am happy with the male female pairing, we chose the pairing we have because they have a great bond.

Back