• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor Hobson - He's gone : ((

I'm in pieces and struggling to come to terms with losing another lovely bunny only a few weeks after Pixie. We collected Hobson from the vet Friday night after his tests. Came home with all the usual meds including the Forkeor which he took really well. He was still unwell but the vet thought he would perk up at home. Saturday morning he was much worse and had hardly moved all night. He as still peeing on himself (not eating much at all and hardly any poops) and although we'd cleaned him up the night before he as very wet and sore. Not only that by he was peeing blood too and very lethargic and not moving around easily at all. We took him back to the vet who said they could take him in for fluids but she also said they may help for a few days or a few months there's just no way of knowing. I feel awful as I made the decision to let him go as he was so poorly I really didn't want him to suffer any longer if the prognosis was only a 'maybe he'll be ok'. Although if he'd had fluid therapy which may have helped in the end we would be in the same situation. I really feel I didn't give him a chance but I really didn't want him to suffer any longer as he'd been getting worse all week. I'm really sorry for this long post but did I do the right thing, bit late now I know but I'm just in bits wondering if only or if I'd done this or that it's pulling me apart. The vet said it was kidney failure as no stones or other problems were found on the xray. There's something else too we'd found a half eaten mushroom in his run and now I'm wondering if this was the cause or added to his problems which I'm feeling horrid about as I should have seen this but he was under some leaves fallen form the tree so it was missed. Poor Hobson I know he's at peace now but oh goodness me this is so hard.

Oh no, so sorry to read this :( Please don't beat yourself up - it sounds like you made the right choice. Sending massive hugs xxx

I'm in pieces and struggling to come to terms with losing another lovely bunny only a few weeks after Pixie. We collected Hobson from the vet Friday night after his tests. Came home with all the usual meds including the Forkeor which he took really well. He was still unwell but the vet thought he would perk up at home. Saturday morning he was much worse and had hardly moved all night. He as still peeing on himself (not eating much at all and hardly any poops) and although we'd cleaned him up the night before he as very wet and sore. Not only that by he was peeing blood too and very lethargic and not moving around easily at all. We took him back to the vet who said they could take him in for fluids but she also said they may help for a few days or a few months there's just no way of knowing. I feel awful as I made the decision to let him go as he was so poorly I really didn't want him to suffer any longer if the prognosis was only a 'maybe he'll be ok'. Although if he'd had fluid therapy which may have helped in the end we would be in the same situation. I really feel I didn't give him a chance but I really didn't want him to suffer any longer as he'd been getting worse all week. I'm really sorry for this long post but did I do the right thing, bit late now I know but I'm just in bits wondering if only or if I'd done this or that it's pulling me apart. The vet said it was kidney failure as no stones or other problems were found on the xray. There's something else too we'd found a half eaten mushroom in his run and now I'm wondering if this was the cause or added to his problems which I'm feeling horrid about as I should have seen this but he was under some leaves fallen form the tree so it was missed. Poor Hobson I know he's at peace now but oh goodness me this is so hard.

I am so sorry :cry: It sounds as though he was an extremely sick Rabbit and I think you made the most compassionate decision for him. I very much doubt that the mushroom played any part at all in Hobson's illness. Many of my Rabbits have nibbled at a rogue mushroom in the garden and no Rabbit suffered any ill effects at all.

Thank you so much for your replies. It's really been a tough time lately losing two beautiful bunnies so close together but they really did have a lovely life full of love and plenty of cuddles and treats.

I will miss them a great deal.

I'm going to bond the two remaining bunnies in the next few weeks as they have lived next door to each other for the past 4 yrs so I'm really hoping the bond will go well but I'll take it nice and steady.

I'm so very sorry to hear about Hobson :cry:

He's at peace now and you did what you had to do for him to spare him further suffering. It must have been awful for you to contemplate that.

As for the mushroom - I am certain this played no part at all. It's rare for a rabbit to ingest something and it be so toxic as to kill them. It happens much less than we are led to believe. Please put that out of your mind.

I hope you can feel better soon, as you did the right thing. ((( Hugs )))

RIP Hobson :( Like the others, I doubt the mushroom caused any further harm as mine have both had a go at the lawn ones and neither has been remotely unwell afterwards. I think you did the right thing: ending it now rather than dragging it out for the possibility of a few weeks or months. Hopefully that will be some comfort. Best wishes to you.

Im so very sorry for your loss's..he sounds like he was not very well at all and you made a compassionate decision to let him go. I think you did the right thing...and Im sure the vet would have advised you to try something different if they thought there was a chance. Run free Hobson...
so very sorry - hugs xxx

I am so sorry you had to say goodbye to Hobson, I am sure many of us have wondered if we were doing the right thing, it is part of your grieving. You didn't want him to suffer but now have doubts which is a normal response. Hugs xxx

I'm so sorry you lost Hobs on. We all feel the way you do. Every time I make the decision I can't stop thinking about it for weeks, always thinking "What if?" I always think that I should have tried harder. It's because we love them so much. Try not to feel bad, he was suffering and none of us want that. You did your very best for him. xxx

Thank you so much for all your kind words, it really is the hardest decision isn't it but I know now I did the right thing however hard it is he's at peace now. He was a beautiful cheeky bunny, no trouble at all just a complete love in every way and a pleasure to own. Never ill and always ate everything and pooped absolute mountains of lovely poop.

Night night my darling, I miss you so very much. :love:

Back