• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits escaped - ideas how to secure indoor run?

Casco

Mama Doe
They were keeping me wakened last night which they don't normally so around 1am I went downstairs to see what they were doing to find that they were hopping around the dining room. They have a crate and puppy pen set up and had lifted 2 of the panels where they join and the panels stayed off the ground a bit, at an angle which left just enough room for them to squeeze under.

Has anyone found a way to secure the panels so they can't be lifted? At the moment I've added some spare panels around the outside of the run, hooked on to existing panels to try to add weight but I'm not sure if this will help. Unfortunately I'm going away for a couple of days from today so they will be unattended for longer periods (I have someone coming to deal with them but they won't be here all day or overnight) and I'm sure I'll end up worrying they've escaped and can't get back in. I think I'll leave a spare litter tray in the room so if it does happen again they at least have a litter tray and hay.

I haven't looked yet to see what damage they caused but I could definitely hear some gnawing going on before I went downstairs! They do get out in the living / dining room but only when we are there to supervise, although once they are older I'm hoping they can be more free range but at the moment I like to monitor them when they are out.

How about connecting the panels with cable ties? I used to put breeze blocks each side of the panels. Not very pretty but they used to enjoy sitting on them!

Only one block high on the inside.

Hope they are safe and well whilst you are away and that there isnt too much gnawing damage ... ☺

Thanks tulsi, I didn't get the chance to get back on here before I left. Thankfully they were fine while I was away but I will still need to sort out a more permanent solution for this. I had cable ties between the panels when I first got the rabbits as I noticed from the beginning they liked to stick their nose in the bars and lift it up but they just bit the cable ties off, and I ended up having to replace them daily. That said, I only bought cheapish cable ties, are the more expensive ones harder for them to bite through? I have been contemplating either a proper wooden indoor 'home' for them, or maybe just the heavier panels but have been holding off making a decision to make sure they will definitely be staying indoors before I spend a lot of money buying something, and even if they are staying indoors I want to make sure their new accommodation is best suited to them (and us! They are in our living room so needs to be practical).

As for damage, the only thing I've noticed so far is the iPad cable which they've bitten clean through. My son wasn't happy! But they are lucky it wasn't the extension cable they gnawed instead as that was plugged in, the iPad cable wasn't.

I reakon that wooden panels with weld mesh are the most stable. They have the added bonus of being useful for making a run outside if needed.

It is too late to put them out this year as they wont have grown a winter coat so that may help. They love chewing dont they? Commiserations about the ipad charger ... my lor love chill and chew mats and willow balls.

Actually I do have some of that garden wire, I'll give that a try. When I had my last rabbit I made a run from wood and mesh so maybe I could attempt something similar again if the metal run isn't working out. That said, it wasn't the prettiest lol.

I def won't be putting them outside just now, that's just a possibility longer term as my mum is allergic to them so she can't come round here any more. I would be happier if the run was a bit taller as well as heavier so I'll look into either attempting to make one or buying something like the boyles pens.

Mine love the chill & chew mats, although they did pee on their last one so it had to be removed earlier than usual & I haven't replaced it as yet.

Back