• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rattly Snugglesafes!

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
We were just looking at our Snugglesafes (there are three of them, and there's no real indication how old any of them are), and one of them is really rattly when you move it from side to side. The other two rattle a little too. I can't remember whether they used to do this or not!

So... what do they do when they are on their way out? I've never had to replace a Snugglesafe before. :?

I think they have gel inside them. They work the same as those freezer packs for picnic bags only they get hot rather than cold. I should think after several years and uses the gel probably breaks down. It sounds like you may need to replace them. You would probably get hot spots in them if you carried on using them. I've only had mine about a year and it's ok at the moment.

Thanks for the reply.

Thinking about it, the oldest I have must be absolutely years old! I don't need three, so I'm kind of hoping I can get away with just throwing out the very rattly one...

If the casing is still intact and it still stays warm, I would keep using it. Mine are probably about 10 years old now. They don't get used often - only when there is a poorly furry or it is very cold outside - but when they are used, it is twice a day for several weeks. I currently have 3 in use to keep a tiny (600g at 12 weeks) and sick (dumped, blind, full of worms) kitten warm. All the heat pads are slightly different shapes in the middle, and different of pink now (due to being disinfected twice a day) and some rattle a little, but they stay warm for about 12 hours so are perfectly serviceable.

Yes, thinking about it, despite the age of them, I guess they haven't had huge amounts of use over the years. It's not as though they are used all the year round, after all! I'm going to relegate the oldest though - I don't need 3, and it is probably 10 years old.

I think the information says they 'expire' after 10 years. They are full of a wax-like substance so I imagine that becomes more brittle as it ages and may break. I'd certainly give it another shot in the microwave and see what it's like before binning.

That's interesting to know. I remembered that they weren't supposed to last forever, but just not how long for, even roughly.

Back