• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny died after being neutered

Buddyollie

New Kit
I took my 41/2 month old bunny buddy to be neutered on Wednesday this week, I dropped him off at 11am and at 12:41 the vet called me to say he was dead! I was devastated am gutted and feel guilty for taking him x

I took my 41/2 month old bunny buddy to be neutered on Wednesday this week, I dropped him off at 11am and at 12:41 the vet called me to say he was dead! I was devastated am gutted and feel guilty for taking him x

Oh I'm so very sorry! :cry:

I have worked with Rescue Centres for the past 20+ years, and sadly this does happen sometimes. Not very often, and you are very unlucky. I can only assume that there was some underlying issue that no one know about.

Rest in Peace little one.

Please stick around and welcome to the Forum :wave:

I am so sorry :cry: By taking him to be neutered you were only doing what is generally the best thing for Pet Rabbits. In 99.9% of cases everything goes well. But sadly there will always be a small risk that a particular Rabbit will react badly to the GA and not survive. It is awful, but it is certainly not your fault.

RIP Buddy xx

So sorry that you lost Buddy, we all dread that call, but thankfully it's rare. So very sorry, Binky free Buddy xxx

I'm so sorry for your loss. No reason on earth to feel guilty, in the vast majority of cases neutering is absolutely the right thing to do for a bunny. You must be devastated, I'm sorry you lost Buddy, especially under such unexpected circumstances. Sweet dreams fella

How tragic,sadly your wee one was one of a few who didn't survive a G.A. Did the vet say anything about what happened?

So very sorry you lost Buddy. Sadly, some years ago, I lost a bunny who went in for neutering. He was a blue eyed white Polish. I was heartbroken and the vet was as devastated as me. It's shocking when it happens to you but although quite rare, it does still happen. Some bunnies have a reaction to the usually very safe anaesthetic. So sorry...RIP Buddy. xxxx

Back