• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I wish I was a first time bunny owner in 2015

booboobunny

Warren Scout
Rabbit care and advice has greatly improved in the past 10 years or so. I got my first rabbit about 10 or 11 years ago and she was absolutely lovely - super sweet, very friendly, would never bite etc. At the time (before YouTube existed or my family had a computer), rabbit knowledge came from books in pet stores with very basic information.
Back then we all thought that giving her a single level 4ft hutch would be big enough. She had a separate 6ft by 3ft run on the grass which she would go in when the weather was nice. But, she could end up spending days at a time in her hutch alone. Obviously I took her to the vets for vaccinations, but never had her spayed - no one ever said she needed to be. Eventually I left home to move away for a gap year and university so I gave my bunny to a family we knew when she was about 4 years old (I was really sad to give her away, but my parents didn't want to be left with her). I believe she had more space there and got a bit more attention as the mother didn't work. She died when she was about 6 - probably because she was never spayed (I cried even though I hadn't seen her for a long time!).
My point is that looking back she didn't get the life she deserved. I don't know how she stayed so sweet considering she didn't get even half the care my bunnies do now. I wish I was a new bunny owner nowadays. There is so so so much more information about rabbit care available - helpful YouTube videos, hundreds of information pages and incredibly helpful forums like this. There is no excuse now to not provide a rabbit with everything they need.
Mine now have 6ft two tier hutches and two 8ft by 6ft runs - one on grass, one on patio. They always have different toys in their hutches and runs and each gets attention from me every day. If I was to leave for a while (which I wouldn't as I'd miss the buns too much!) I know that my mum would care for them for me.
Giving them the appropriate care, attention and space makes them more interesting - seeing them running around, binkying, jumping on things, playing with toys is so lovely to see. I wish I'd known all of this 10 years ago - I still feel a tiny bit of guilt whenever I think of my first girl.
Do you think rabbit information had improved? What was your rabbit care like with your first one? Does anyone else feel guilt?

i think many of us in here can say the same, from many years ago, but we gain more experience, don't feel guilty she sounded loved and cared , half wouldn't even get that

I've mentioned on here before that I had a rabbit as a kid that must have been so lonely and bored, not to mention underfed hay! But when we know better, we do better.

Back