PDA

View Full Version : I wish I was a first time bunny owner in 2015

booboobunny
10-10-2015, 06:01 PM
Rabbit care and advice has greatly improved in the past 10 years or so. I got my first rabbit about 10 or 11 years ago and she was absolutely lovely - super sweet, very friendly, would never bite etc. At the time (before YouTube existed or my family had a computer), rabbit knowledge came from books in pet stores with very basic information.
Back then we all thought that giving her a single level 4ft hutch would be big enough. She had a separate 6ft by 3ft run on the grass which she would go in when the weather was nice. But, she could end up spending days at a time in her hutch alone. Obviously I took her to the vets for vaccinations, but never had her spayed - no one ever said she needed to be. Eventually I left home to move away for a gap year and university so I gave my bunny to a family we knew when she was about 4 years old (I was really sad to give her away, but my parents didn't want to be left with her). I believe she had more space there and got a bit more attention as the mother didn't work. She died when she was about 6 - probably because she was never spayed (I cried even though I hadn't seen her for a long time!).
My point is that looking back she didn't get the life she deserved. I don't know how she stayed so sweet considering she didn't get even half the care my bunnies do now. I wish I was a new bunny owner nowadays. There is so so so much more information about rabbit care available - helpful YouTube videos, hundreds of information pages and incredibly helpful forums like this. There is no excuse now to not provide a rabbit with everything they need.
Mine now have 6ft two tier hutches and two 8ft by 6ft runs - one on grass, one on patio. They always have different toys in their hutches and runs and each gets attention from me every day. If I was to leave for a while (which I wouldn't as I'd miss the buns too much!) I know that my mum would care for them for me.
Giving them the appropriate care, attention and space makes them more interesting - seeing them running around, binkying, jumping on things, playing with toys is so lovely to see. I wish I'd known all of this 10 years ago - I still feel a tiny bit of guilt whenever I think of my first girl.
Do you think rabbit information had improved? What was your rabbit care like with your first one? Does anyone else feel guilt?

mini lop1
10-10-2015, 06:18 PM
i think many of us in here can say the same, from many years ago, but we gain more experience, don't feel guilty she sounded loved and cared , half wouldn't even get that

jemjabella
13-10-2015, 09:09 AM
I've mentioned on here before that I had a rabbit as a kid that must have been so lonely and bored, not to mention underfed hay! But when we know better, we do better.

bunbuns
13-10-2015, 10:56 AM
I've mentioned on here before that I had a rabbit as a kid that must have been so lonely and bored, not to mention underfed hay! But when we know better, we do better.

Me too. I feel so guilty when I think about it x