• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excessive drinking

k1984

Mama Doe
Snowy, my 7.5year old house rabbit nethie over the last couple of days has been drinking very excessively. Almost three times the usual amount of water intake. Even my hubby has noticed his bottle rattling more over the last two nights (and I checked to see whether it was working fine etc...and it was). I've given Snowy a bowl of water as well as his bottle, and he's really drinking a lot.

His behaviour, eating, toileting all seems normal...just this excessive drinking.
I've made an appointment for him at 10.20am tomorrow morning with the vet, but in the meantime...does anyone have any suggestions as to what this could be?

Snowy, my 7.5year old house rabbit nethie over the last couple of days has been drinking very excessively. Almost three times the usual amount of water intake. Even my hubby has noticed his bottle rattling more over the last two nights (and I checked to see whether it was working fine etc...and it was). I've given Snowy a bowl of water as well as his bottle, and he's really drinking a lot.

His behaviour, eating, toileting all seems normal...just this excessive drinking.
I've made an appointment for him at 10.20am tomorrow morning with the vet, but in the meantime...does anyone have any suggestions as to what this could be?

A few possibilities might include a UTI, Dental issues, Kidney problems,amongst other things.

Has he lost weight at all, despite eating normally ?
Is he a good hay eater ?

Have you only recently switched the central heating on in the house ?

Sorry to hear about Snowy!

Kidney problems, mainly due to E.C. are a possibility.

Also, have you noticed him dribbling or drooling at all? When a rabbit has mouth pain, they tend to drink more, to alleviate the pain.

Do you think you will ask the vet for blood tests?

Oh no, poor Snowy. I'm really worried!
He seems to be perfectly fine and normal in himself...it's purely the drinking thing that seems different.
We don't have central heating in our house, but we have been putting the fire on in the lounge, which is where he lives. He doesn't seem warm though, as he loves laying out infront of the fire so doesn't avoid the heat at all.
No dribbling or drooling at all. Lots of binkys and bunny flops as normal.

I'm probably being over-cautious.

He seems to be perfectly fine and normal in himself...it's purely the drinking thing that seems different.
We don't have central heating in our house, but we have been putting the fire on in the lounge, which is where he lives. He doesn't seem warm though, as he loves laying out infront of the fire so doesn't avoid the heat at all.

If the drinking more coincided exactly with having additional heat in his room then it may be why he feels the need to drink more. But it is a good idea to get him Vet checked, even if it's just to be told there is nothing wrong with him ! He certainly sounds to be feeling in fine form anyway x

If the drinking more coincided exactly with having additional heat in his room then it may be why he feels the need to drink more. But it is a good idea to get him Vet checked, even if it's just to be told there is nothing wrong with him ! He certainly sounds to be feeling in fine form anyway x

Thanks Jane, that's what I think too! I will let you know what the vet says :thumb:

The little man himself this evening :love: :love: I tried to catch him mid-binky, but photo caught him just as he'd landed!

I wouldn't worry too much at all :D Keep an eye on it, and if it continues, take him to the vet.

I'm glad he seems OK in himself - I think most of us are over cautious. Rather that than the opposite :shock:

Back from the vets. Good news is that vet can't see any outward sigh of illness. Kidneys feel fine, weight is good, heart and breathing all good, so all in all a good result.
The vet feels it could be a UTI so has given baytril to be given daily. If no better, then the next step would be a blood test to check for kidney function.

:thumb:

Back from the vets. Good news is that vet can't see any outward sigh of illness. Kidneys feel fine, weight is good, heart and breathing all good, so all in all a good result.
The vet feels it could be a UTI so has given baytril to be given daily. If no better, then the next step would be a blood test to check for kidney function.

:thumb:

Good, I hope the Baytril sorts out the problem!

If he appears to be in pain at any point (which from what you said is not the case) you could always ring your vet for some Metacam ... :thumb:

Bobo showed exactly this. .Loads of drinking and peeing but otherwise exactly the same as normal..and after testing came back as EC.

Hopefully your the baytril clears it up but if not do ask for an EC test.

Bobo is doing fine and drinking alot less now after having treatment.

Back