• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poopy Butt

Hi guys!

My little netherland dwarf Snoopy has been neutred today, he seems to be recovering well but he is doing runny poo's that are sticking to his bum. Usually in this situation I would wash his bum in the sink (he won't stay still for just a wipe, he skwirms so much he could hurt himself). Any ideas on how I can clean up his bum without irritating his wound or stressing him out too much?

Any help would be appreciated!

Personally I would ring the Vet for advice, maybe take him back so they can clean him up as you don't want his wound to become infected. Hope Snoopy is ok eventually.

Sorry I missed this thread. I hope that you managed to clean your boy up as much as possible. How is he doing today ?

Hi guys!

My little netherland dwarf Snoopy has been neutred today, he seems to be recovering well but he is doing runny poo's that are sticking to his bum. Usually in this situation I would wash his bum in the sink (he won't stay still for just a wipe, he skwirms so much he could hurt himself). Any ideas on how I can clean up his bum without irritating his wound or stressing him out too much?

Any help would be appreciated!

He's probably got a runny bun because of the antibiotics and drugs used for his procedure, poor thing!

I agree with Tonibun - best to take him back to the vet or vet nurse for a clean up :thumb:

Thanks for your help guys, I ended up getting my friend who has rabbits round and she restrained snoopy while I used wet cotten wool pads to wipe the area. Took us a good 15 minutes. When I rang the vets they were useless, they said 'just cut it off' even after I explained some of it was stuck to the skin around his butthole!

Back