• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help bonding a trio

Bergmaus

New Kit
Hello,

First of all, let me introduce myself. I am Steph and I have 3 bunnies - Ruffus (6 months old), Blossom (4 months old) and Evie (2.5 years).

I initially owned a rabbit when I was a youngster and have always wanted another one. When I was younger it was a case of sticking it in a cage with an hours run in the garden a day. This time i'm obviously more aware of their needs.

I initially bought Ruffus (Ruffie) but it only took me a few days to realise he looked lonely and that I would like to get him a mate. So I adopted blossom. I bought 2 indoor cages and started the bonding process. They fell in love straight away and to be honest it only took a few days. Blossom, i was informed, was quite aggressive but these two never had an issue. It must've been bunny love at first sight. I then got Evie. I felt sorry for her and made the conscious decision that even if the bonding didnt work as a trio that I would still keep her regardless.

I would just like to state that Ruffie & Blossom had only been interacting for around 4 days before Evie was brought into the mix, all three cages were together so they could see & smell each other and get used to having one another around. At first I noticed no aggression but on the second day, Evie was out having her hop around (Ruffus & Blossom still in their cages), Evie put her paw onto Blossom's cage to sniff and Blossom went for her - luckily resulting in no injury.

Yesterday Ruffus and Blossom went in to be Spayed & Neutered. I don't plan on having Evie done straight away unless I can help it. A day later, Evie was in her cage while Blossom was having her hop around and they were having a sniff at each other when Blossom went to scratch Evie.

How long after being spayed does it take for a female to become less aggressive? Do you think I should continue or quit trying to bond them?

Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated. Please note that if I am doing something wrong, all I need is pointing in the right direction, not persecuting for it as I have been on other (non rabbit) related forums

I look forward to hearing from you

Steph

You would be very lucky if you bonded an unneutered female with 2 neutered rabbits. It does depend on their personaliities in a sense but even neutered does will fight. You were fortunate in having an easy bond with the first 2 but trying to bond ina third could upset the bond.

Rabbits do scratch and nip through bars so try not to let 1 rabbit approach a caged one. It can allso set off Referred Aggression where 2 in a cage start fighting as a separate rabbit approaches.

I think your best bet is to spay the third rabbit, Evie, wait for a few weeks then try bonding all 3 ina neutral area where none of them have been before.

Hope your neutered rabbits are recovering well from their operations.

Thank you for your advice. I may just try to bond Evie with another male after she (and him) are neutered.
Ruffus is on antibiotics as he's been licking his wound ��

You would be very lucky if you bonded an unneutered female with 2 neutered rabbits. It does depend on their personaliities in a sense but even neutered does will fight. You were fortunate in having an easy bond with the first 2 but trying to bond ina third could upset the bond.

Rabbits do scratch and nip through bars so try not to let 1 rabbit approach a caged one. It can allso set off Referred Aggression where 2 in a cage start fighting as a separate rabbit approaches.

I think your best bet is to spay the third rabbit, Evie, wait for a few weeks then try bonding all 3 ina neutral area where none of them have been before.

Hope your neutered rabbits are recovering well from their operations.

I agree with this . Good luck with your decision & welcome to RU

Back