• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

type of wood for aviary panels?

aaammmyyy

Mama Doe
what type of wood would you use to make your own aviary panels?

there's so many different types - I was looking at timber but then they had studwork, treated, plan, kiln dried?!

also how thick should the wood be?

and last question :lol: with mesh, I know its supposed to be galvanised, but what's the MM it should be for the rabbits safety?
thanks (I'm actually good at DIY, the materials just confuse me!!)

Seeing as no one else has answered you, i will.
You ideally need planed timber, redwood or witewood at a size of in my opinion around 40x50mm (2 inches x 1.5 inches) give or take.

A lot of people use swan timber for aviaries and even use small size timber like 1 inch by half a inch but its a lot easier to work with planed timber than swan timber and if you use thin timber it won't last as long.

The way i do it, if you can't stand or walk on it then its no good lol

You could use stud work as long as you treat it and pick out good bits as stud work is for building stud walls in houses so the quality won't always be great.
Kiln dried timber is how its dried so it not too important and treated means its been treated but that's not always pet safe but i am being told its a lot safer than it use to be.

Seeing as no one else has answered you, i will.
You ideally need planed timber, redwood or witewood at a size of in my opinion around 40x50mm (2 inches x 1.5 inches) give or take.

A lot of people use swan timber for aviaries and even use small size timber like 1 inch by half a inch but its a lot easier to work with planed timber than swan timber and if you use thin timber it won't last as long.

The way i do it, if you can't stand or walk on it then its no good lol

You could use stud work as long as you treat it and pick out good bits as stud work is for building stud walls in houses so the quality won't always be great.
Kiln dried timber is how its dried so it not too important and treated means its been treated but that's not always pet safe but i am being told its a lot safer than it use to be.

Thanks, think I'm going to look a bit strange trying to stand on bits of wood in Wickes :lol:

How thick should the mesh wire stuff be? don't want to buy one that's too thin/not safe

Thanks, think I'm going to look a bit strange trying to stand on bits of wood in Wickes :lol:

How thick should the mesh wire stuff be? don't want to buy one that's too thin/not safe

lol, no i mean when its built if you can't stand on it the no good ha

Back