• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit squeeking

Hi need some help here for a new rabbit owner
I have 2 rabbits
One female who is about 8 months old
And one male about 9/10 weeks old
The two seam to get along really well and have never attacked each other
They stay in separate cages at night and free around the house all day together
Yesterday morning I heard the female squeeking and noticed she makes it when ever the male goes near her
When she makes it she doesn't do anything different
They both cuddle up after she makes it and then she will stop
What could it mean
I read online it means she is frightened or scared but they don't fight and just cuddle when she makes it
I have heard other rabbits squeek on YouTube and it sounds the same so I'm sure it's squeeking
Thanks in advance

I believe she is wanting the male to mate with her. If she isn't spayed he could get her pregnant soon!

Chipmunks do this too when they're in heat. I always associate squeaks with advertising availability for mating - best keep them separate if neither are nuetered/spayed.

Rabbits do not have 'heats' - they can mate and become pregnant at any time.
I wouldn't feel confident that your male isn't fertile yet and so she may well be pregnant.

Any way of telling if my female is pregnant?
I cought them doing it but not sure if it was sex or the dominance thing they do
I've now separated them and she due for neutering on Wednesday

Just an update
Took both to get today to try get them both neutered
Found out the female is pregnant
Got the male neutered but I was too late
Didn't think such a young male can get the female pregnant so quick
The vet thinks the noise is her telling him to get away so she protects her self
not happy at all and I'm hoping she doesn't have too many

Back