• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do older bunnys need extra warmth???

moi

Mama Doe
Bunny is an old boy now..... his shed is well insulated but I do not have any heating in there. I was wondering if they need extra warmth as they get older?

IME yes, many do. They can struggle to maintain their weight if they are having to burn off calories trying to keep warm. Is he a single Rabbit ? Having another Rabbit to snuggle up to can help. As can providing lots of extra bedding and a snuggle safe heat pad.

IME yes, many do. They can struggle to maintain their weight if they are having to burn off calories trying to keep warm. Is he a single Rabbit ? Having another Rabbit to snuggle up to can help. As can providing lots of extra bedding and a snuggle safe heat pad.

He livs with Benji who is 3 years old so still a young one.

Would it be worth swapping them round so Bunny and Benji live indoors, and putting Pegg and Tonic outdoors, or would that be to dispuptive? x

He livs with Benji who is 3 years old so still a young one.

Would it be worth swapping them round so Bunny and Benji live indoors, and putting Pegg and Tonic outdoors, or would that be to dispuptive? x

It's too late in the year to put House Rabbits to live outdoors. So I would look to increasing the amount of warm bedding and provide a snuggle safe heat pad. I'd weigh him a couple of times a week too. Unexplained weightloss may indicate that he is struggling to keep warm. He may need a bit more concentrated feed (pellets etc) over winter. You would need to feed these to him separately so you can be 100% certain it is him who eats them all.

Its still warm here, still not jacket weather x

But they wont have a chance to establish a full thickness winter coat for when it does get colder. Overnight temperatures are going to be near freezing over this weekend. Personally there is no way would I risk putting House Rabbits to live outdoors now, but it's up to you to do what you think is best.

Bunny is an old boy now..... his shed is well insulated but I do not have any heating in there. I was wondering if they need extra warmth as they get older?

Some older bunnies need warmth, but some are quite OK with colder weather.

How old is Bunny now?

But they wont have a chance to establish a full thickness winter coat for when it does get colder. Overnight temperatures are going to be near freezing over this weekend. Personally there is no way would I risk putting House Rabbits to live outdoors now, but it's up to you to do what you think is best.

Good point.... lots of hay and blankets for bunny :)

I think they do. I'm not sure of André's exact age, but he seems to be slower than the others and spends a lot more time napping. He lost a little weight during winter, but one of my girls made a nest and I decided to leave it there so see if André would sleep in where it was warm. I'd tried leaving blankets, but the nest seemed to be the only thing that none of them would destroy. André did keep warm there, thank goodness, and he's since returned to his normal weight.

We are unsure of his age exactly but his previous owners had him fr 4 years but they dont know how long his first owners had him. Weve had him fr 2. Hes going grey also! lol Hes not lost any weight and is still active x

I don't know if this is a possibility but I've got a greenhouse tube heater for our shed over winter. Costs barely anything to run but helped keep the shed above freezing when the temperature dropped.

Back