• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Matted fur & dirty feet

Theo

Warren Scout
Hi all, just need a bit of advice on my little Thor bunny. He is from the RSPCA, only around 10 months old (I've had him for 4 months now) and from day 1 he was really smelly with a dirty bottom. I had to give him a wash he was that smelly and started to look at his diet. I read to cut out veg and just have hay til his poos were normal. I did this and slowly but surely figured out what veg he couldn't eat (tomato, broccoli stalks) and what he could eat (kale, broccoli heads, carrots and snap peas). On average I still need to give him a bum wash because his hind legs and feet get caked in poo. He is very good bless him and stays still while I bathe him, almost like he knows I'm trying to help. I just use warm water as I know it's not good to bathe rabbits. I literally just do his back legs and bottom then towel dry him which he doesn't mind.

As well as this, I have noticed the fur around his tail and back legs is getting very matted and almost as if it's got hair gel in it? Just wondered if anyone knows what this could be. Again, he is very good and let's me gently brush him while he is cleaning. He does have bandy front legs and hops a little differently to my other rabbit so I think maybe he struggles to clean his back end...he licks himself when I am brushing him but never seems to reach near his bottom.

So basically, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Luckily, he is cooperative and holds still for me, as if he realises I'm trying to help.

What nugget food does he have? It may be that he could switch to a higher fibre nugget, or lesser amount of nugget which can also affect bottoms (especially excel). Im sure some more knowledgeable people will be along soon, but the matting will possibly be worsened by the bathing. Does he eat plenty of hay?

What nugget food does he have? It may be that he could switch to a higher fibre nugget, or lesser amount of nugget which can also affect bottoms (especially excel). Im sure some more knowledgeable people will be along soon, but the matting will possibly be worsened by the bathing. Does he eat plenty of hay?

He used to be on the pellets from Pets at Home but has gradually changed to Burgess Excel. I have found that he's not as dirty now as he was when he was on p@h although saying that I now feed him less nuggets as he was leaving his hay. My boyfriend occasionally feeds him if I'm late home from work and he does give him more nuggets than I do, and coincidently he's always dirtier the following morning.

They have constant hay, topped up twice daily and he does eat it. For such a small bunny he eats more than Theo who is three times his size! To say they are on the same diet, Theo is extremely clean.

Edit: I'm not sure if bathing makes the matting worse, seems to be a vicious circle. It can't be nice having crusty legs so I see no other option but to bathe him. I do give him a brush once he's dried and his fur is fluffy like cotton wool

Last edited:
He used to be on the pellets from Pets at Home but has gradually changed to Burgess Excel. I have found that he's not as dirty now as he was when he was on p@h although saying that I now feed him less nuggets as he was leaving his hay. My boyfriend occasionally feeds him if I'm late home from work and he does give him more nuggets than I do, and coincidently he's always dirtier the following morning.

They have constant hay, topped up twice daily and he does eat it. For such a small bunny he eats more than Theo who is three times his size! To say they are on the same diet, Theo is extremely clean.

Edit: I'm not sure if bathing makes the matting worse, seems to be a vicious circle. It can't be nice having crusty legs so I see no other option but to bathe him. I do give him a brush once he's dried and his fur is fluffy like cotton wool

Pellets are often the culprit. You could think about a more fibrous variety like Oxbow Bunny Basics, or cut them right down?

I think you have no option but to wash him when he's dirty - you can't leave him, so I think you're doing the right thing :D

Hi all, just need a bit of advice on my little Thor bunny. He is from the RSPCA, only around 10 months old (I've had him for 4 months now) and from day 1 he was really smelly with a dirty bottom. I had to give him a wash he was that smelly and started to look at his diet. I read to cut out veg and just have hay til his poos were normal. I did this and slowly but surely figured out what veg he couldn't eat (tomato, broccoli stalks) and what he could eat (kale, broccoli heads, carrots and snap peas). On average I still need to give him a bum wash because his hind legs and feet get caked in poo. He is very good bless him and stays still while I bathe him, almost like he knows I'm trying to help. I just use warm water as I know it's not good to bathe rabbits. I literally just do his back legs and bottom then towel dry him which he doesn't mind.

As well as this, I have noticed the fur around his tail and back legs is getting very matted and almost as if it's got hair gel in it? Just wondered if anyone knows what this could be. Again, he is very good and let's me gently brush him while he is cleaning. He does have bandy front legs and hops a little differently to my other rabbit so I think maybe he struggles to clean his back end...he licks himself when I am brushing him but never seems to reach near his bottom.

So basically, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Luckily, he is cooperative and holds still for me, as if he realises I'm trying to help.

It sounds as though part of Thor's problem is diet related, but you also mention he has 'bandy front legs' and an unusual gait. Has the full extent of his deformities been investigated by a Vet, either when he was with the RSPCA or with you ? Sometimes a Rabbit with a spinal deformity can appear to have 'bandy' front legs. Especially those with Lordosis. Obviously any spinal deformity would mean that a Rabbit may struggle to keep him/herself clean.

http://www.medirabbit.com/Radiography/Spine/Spine_def.htm

With regards to diet, I would consider trying to switch to Fibrafirst Sticks rather than any other Pellet type feed. IME Fibafirst (or Vetcare Plus) are by far the best concentrated feed for Rabbits.

http://www.supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/vetcare-plus-digestive-health-formula.html

Clipping the fur around Thor's rear end might be useful, reducing matting of fur and making it easy to wash and dry him when necessary. If he is an outdoor Rabbit it is very important that he is 100% dry after a 'bum bath', as you know Rabbits can chill very easily. It is usually necessary to use a hair dryer on a cool setting to dry a Rabbit thoroughly enough. But of course this would not be possible if the Rabbit became too stressed by it.

So in short I'd consider speaking with your Vet about the possibility of Thor having a skeletal issue which may be contributing to his inability to keep himself clean.

Good luck xx

It sounds as though part of Thor's problem is diet related, but you also mention he has 'bandy front legs' and an unusual gait. Has the full extent of his deformities been investigated by a Vet, either when he was with the RSPCA or with you ? Sometimes a Rabbit with a spinal deformity can appear to have 'bandy' front legs. Especially those with Lordosis. Obviously any spinal deformity would mean that a Rabbit may struggle to keep him/herself clean.

http://www.medirabbit.com/Radiography/Spine/Spine_def.htm

With regards to diet, I would consider trying to switch to Fibrafirst Sticks rather than any other Pellet type feed. IME Fibafirst (or Vetcare Plus) are by far the best concentrated feed for Rabbits.

http://www.supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/vetcare-plus-digestive-health-formula.html

Clipping the fur around Thor's rear end might be useful, reducing matting of fur and making it easy to wash and dry him when necessary. If he is an outdoor Rabbit it is very important that he is 100% dry after a 'bum bath', as you know Rabbits can chill very easily. It is usually necessary to use a hair dryer on a cool setting to dry a Rabbit thoroughly enough. But of course this would not be possible if the Rabbit became too stressed by it.

So in short I'd consider speaking with your Vet about the possibility of Thor having a skeletal issue which may be contributing to his inability to keep himself clean.

Good luck xx

Thank you for your reply. The RSPCA didn't mention anything when I asked and when I took him to the vets for an initial check up they said he would be fine and that it was nothing to worry about. I will have a look into the Fibafirst, I have seen people on this forum mention it before. He is an indoor rabbit and I only bathe him in a morning so he has the day to dry, so after he's been towel dried he goes to sit in the sun (if there is any) or he snuggles up on a fleece. I always check he's not cold and he's fine with a hair dryer!

Back