• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think Chloe has mites/UD

MummyBunnyEm

Mama Doe
It's almost like two 'crop circles' have formed on Chloes back with what looks to be dandruff floating around within them.

Should I start a course of Ivermectin drops?

Last edited:
That sounds more like ringworm which would require an antifungal cream. I'd get a vet to have a look.

I would get her checked out at the vet's. They can diagnose and treat it properly. Some of the preparations available from shops are not up to the job, and you don't actually know what is causing it. It is also worth getting her checked over - including her teeth. Mites are often a sign that there is something else wrong with their health, or they are unable to groom properly (hence getting the teeth checked).

It's almost like two 'crop circles' have formed on Chloes back with what looks to be dandruff floating around within them.

Should I start a course of Ivermectin drops?

I would see a vet, as it could be ringworm and not mites. The treatment for both is different.

Vets cannot always diagnose ringworm in many cases, so they have to judge what to do by what they see and their own experience.

I would get her checked out at the vet's. They can diagnose and treat it properly. Some of the preparations available from shops are not up to the job, and you don't actually know what is causing it. It is also worth getting her checked over - including her teeth. Mites are often a sign that there is something else wrong with their health, or they are unable to groom properly (hence getting the teeth checked).

I agree with Shimmer, it is usually best to establish what the problem actually is before starting treatments. It can be a false economy to spend money on treatment products that dont work. Also as pointed out by Shimmer mites can occur if a Rabbit is a bit under par for some other reason.

Good luck xx

I agree with Shimmer, it is usually best to establish what the problem actually is before starting treatments. It can be a false economy to spend money on treatment products that dont work. Also as pointed out by Shimmer mites can occur if a Rabbit is a bit under par for some other reason.

Good luck xx

I think it can also be harmful sometimes to treat the "wrong" condition. I don't know in this case, but I know that if women use thrush treatment when they actually have a different infection it can make things much worse, for example.

Circular patches do sound like ringworm, but definitely get a vet's opinion.

Thanks all. I will ring the vets tomorrow.

Not great timing as I'm waiting for Fat Fluffs to contact me in regards to sending her & Dave in for bonding! :roll:

Like everyone else mentioned, I would definitely contact a vet and get a professional to check it out. One thing I want to ask thought is if you checked Chloe's ears? Sometimes that can be a good indicator if something on the body is mites or not. Ear mites can relocate down the body of the rabbits (resource article). If you check her ears and see there is mites, then that might give you a better idea if it is indeed mites or something else like ringworm.

Back