• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Benji has a poorly eye

tstait45

Young Bun
Can anyone help me work out if this is anything to worry about or not. Benji has a bit of a dry lower eyelid.

It doesnt seem to bother him in any way and he is eating and drinking fine with no gunk in his eyes or nose. They both had their vaccinations last week and he is running around with Logan like normal.

I'm inclined to think he has just scratched it when cleaning or playing, but I'm just wanting to be sure.

Good eye.
5351b67d1b517a277e4816e005506876.jpg

Bad eye.
913a63bca37ac5a56402912df641874c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His lower eyelid looks slightly red and inflamed a bit closer to his nose than the scratch. While you may be correct that the scratch was primary, it is also possible he scratched it because it bothered him. If he was my bunny I would watch it closely in the next day to see if there is any change and be prepared for a vet visit.

Benji is very cute-and I love his color.

Thanks for the quick reply. He isn't the happiest bunny to be handled so I'm hoping it doesn't involve a trip to the vet as he hates that.

They both tear around the living room making each other jump and they cuddle up sometimes, so it feels like it is a silly injury like toddlers get.

I'll keep an eye on it though.

Thanks for the quick reply. He isn't the happiest bunny to be handled so I'm hoping it doesn't involve a trip to the vet as he hates that.

They both tear around the living room making each other jump and they cuddle up sometimes, so it feels like it is a silly injury like toddlers get.

I'll keep an eye on it though.

Yes it's a bit inflamed, isn't it? If they had their vaccinations last week, their immune system will be challenged a bit, so it could be something 'brewing' for a few days until they get back to normal. It takes three weeks for the vaccination to provide full immunity, and in that time, a rabbit can be struggling a bit and little things like this are magnified.

On the other hand, it could be a simple case of a scratch!

Either way, I hope it will clear itself up very soon for you and Benji :D

I was just reading up on Myxo-RHD to see if there were side effects as I know they have live bacteria in the vaccine. Whatever happens, for now its not bothering him, so thats a relief, at least he isnt in pain.

I used to cool water bathe my buns eyes with a weak saline solution,it helped if they didn't always clean themselves up etc.

Can anyone help me work out if this is anything to worry about or not. Benji has a bit of a dry lower eyelid.

It doesnt seem to bother him in any way and he is eating and drinking fine with no gunk in his eyes or nose. They both had their vaccinations last week and he is running around with Logan like normal.

I'm inclined to think he has just scratched it when cleaning or playing, but I'm just wanting to be sure.

Good eye.
5351b67d1b517a277e4816e005506876.jpg

Bad eye.
913a63bca37ac5a56402912df641874c.jpg

Personally I would pop him to the Vet today. The eye lid does look to be very inflamed and it really isnt possible to say that it is 'just a scratch' from looking at a photo. In a few (rare) cases Rabbits do have a reaction to the Myxo-RHD Vaccine and whilst any reaction is more likely to be a slight swelling at the vaccination site a few Rabbits can actually exhibit mild symptoms of Myxomatosis.

''In very rare cases the appearance of mild clinical signs of myxomatosis may occur within 3 weeks of vaccination. Recent or latent infection with field myxoma virus seems to play a role in this to a certain extent''

Extract from the vaccine data sheet, full details here :

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/MSD...pension_for_injection_for_rabbits/-67996.html

I was just reading up on Myxo-RHD to see if there were side effects as I know they have live bacteria in the vaccine. Whatever happens, for now its not bothering him, so thats a relief, at least he isnt in pain.

I'm glad he's OK with it. There can be mild reactions to the vaccine, although Benji's eye doesn't look typical of that.

Keep an eye on hie eye (!) and hopefully all will be well! If not, pop him over to see your vet :thumb:

So his eye is a lot better now. The skin is still a little dry, but the inflammation has gone down and its not pink any more and has returned to his normal skin colour.

For now I'll keep an 'eye' on it so he can avoid the stress of the vets. Especially as they are back in two weeks to have their *ahem* 'bits sorted' which will be stressful enough for one month.

So his eye is a lot better now. The skin is still a little dry, but the inflammation has gone down and its not pink any more and has returned to his normal skin colour.

For now I'll keep an 'eye' on it so he can avoid the stress of the vets. Especially as they are back in two weeks to have their *ahem* 'bits sorted' which will be stressful enough for one month.

This is good to hear - thank you for updating!

I am glad his eye improved.
Even my sweetest bunnies have gotten scared and scratched my arms, chest, or neck when going into or out of the pet carrier.
It helped a lot when I purchased a carrier which opens from the top. Even so, I usually wear long sleeves and a high neckline when I take them to the vets so I concentrate on their safety, not mine too.

Back