• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning

carysannie29

Young Bun
What should I clean my hutch with? I don't want to use anything that will harm my bunnies obviously. Also the patio slabs have been weed on a few times so I want to give those a good scrub too!

What should I clean my hutch with? I don't want to use anything that will harm my bunnies obviously. Also the patio slabs have been weed on a few times so I want to give those a good scrub too!

Something like dilute white vinegar or one of those 'proprietary' (but expensive) hutch cleaners!

I do my patio slabs with dilute washing up liquid - give a good scrub and then rinse well.

I use Wilko's animal safe cleaner, or the one from Pets at Home - just make sure it's animal safe as not all are. It's a spray, smells divine, and kills germs. My rabbits don't seem bothered at all by the fact that their smell has temporarily gone (or the hamster for that matter, or the budgie, as I use it for all of them!). Just make sure it's dried properly before putting bedding etc back down.

Not sure about the slabs as ours don't wee on them anymore but I'm sure a weak solution of Dettol thoroughly rinsed off would be fine.

We also use the Wilko's one, although may switch to diluted vinegar when we've finished as it's cheaper!

i use white distilled vineger diluted with water because i'm scared to use anything else

I use a squirt of bleach and a squirt of washing up liquid in about half a gallon of warm water. Works on most things as long as the worst of any dirt is brushed off first. Leave to air dry. Cleans and kills bugs at the same time. Just remember to wear gloves.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I only use a cleaning product if there's pee somewhere outside the litter box.

Litter boxes are emptied and refilled without cleaning because I like them to smell a tiny bit of pee, but any other pee gets cleaned with diluted vinegar. My boys are pretty well litter trained but we do have the odd accident and Meeple occasionally pees right next to Nemesis's cage (obviously hormonal) and I'm trying to help by making sure the appropriate pee areas are clearly defined.

I use white vinigar for the whole hutch - its great for wee splills as it lifts that dry white calcium stains so keeps the wood looking nice etc.

Id use the bleach stuff or disinfectant if there was a disease I needed to elimate after checking with my vet...so probably not as Im scared it would harm the bunnies...and it stinks so it must be aweful for them.

Ive never had any issues with the white vinigar and its a mild disinfectant.

If I needed to do a more thorough clean Id use warm water with vinigar or hibiscrub...

I try to avoid bleach unless it's *really* necessary, as it doesn't half do for your clothes if you splash it on!

I use the pets at home safe for small animals spray .. (Johnsons), its about £4. I just wait for it to dry completely before adding stuff back in. they have a deeper litter tray with blankets and straw in for their bed although they are separate at the minute. I have lino down in the top parts. I use dilute washing up liquid or vinegar on the slabs.

I sometimes just pour some onto a cloth and wipe away...and then wipe it with a wet water cloth afterwards.

Or i just fill a bowl with warm water and then put about half a mug of vinegar in...sorry I don't measure i just pour it in..lol

Day to day nothing, floor gets swept/hoovered and the litter trays get shaken into a bin and if needs be a wipe out with a piece of kitchen roll. About once every 2 weeks I do a 'deep clean' and I normally wipe trays over with baby wipes.

Every now and then I do a really deep clean and their rugs go in the wash, floor hoovered and mopped/steam cleaned and trays wiped with wet wipes, if I think the trays need a scrub then I use dilute vinegar.

I have to admit I don't see the need to sterilise everything, soap and water works just as well and vinegar damages my hands!

You can save money by making a non-toxic cleaning solution at home, suitable for cleaning all cage types and bowls. To make this you will need linseed oil and white vinegar. Add one part linseed oil to two parts vinegar and place it into a spray bottle.

Hutch Buddy

Hiya, remember not to leave any old bedding before using any sprays etc. I use a Hutch Buddy cleaning tool that is fantastic to properly scrape out all dry and mucky wet stuff. I always air dry until all surfaces are dry before replacing new bedding and hay etc. The Hutch Buddy does a great job and although it is strong, it is designed not to damage wood surfaces. It is also good for separating the clean and dirty material for a quick clean, and pulling out lots of material quickly when you do a full clean. You can buy one at www.indypets.co.uk . Clean and dry does it for me.

Back