• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone with hay allergies?

anachronism

Young Bun
Before I got Dylan, I looked around at all the different types of hay and decided on a bale from zooplus as it has good reviews and is cost effective. However I seem to be badly allergic to it, resulting in a trip to the GP centre at the hospital late on friday night with my asthma. I have also been sneezing a lot if I go into Dylan's room.

I have started taking antihistamines and now have an inhaler (my asthma so rarely crops up I didn't have one) I'm thinking the large bale will need to go. I don't think I allergic to Dylan as I have had rabbits before, when I was younger and don't remember being allergic to them, and I have other furry pets which don't set me off. I also had small bags of hay for my degus which I may of had the odd sneeze but not a reaction like the one I have had in the last few days.

I will be looking at hay today to try and get some more that doesn't make me wheezy. I am also looking at face masks for when I clean him out does anyone have recommendations? Looking at ones in B+Q, not sure if they will extract enough dust though

You could try the dust free hay company - I used it a lot when I had a bunny with respitory issues.

Yep - I'm allergic to loads of different hays!

I am totally fine with the Ings hay from Hay for Pets though.

Yes - very!

I use the timothy feeding hay from pets at home, and am fine with that.

I've had to develope a special technique though when at the stables and filling my horses net - take a deep breath, go in film part of net, come outside, breathe and repeat!

Thank you for all the replies :D
I checked out one of the local pet shops and they had some large bags that looked to have no dust and didn't make me sneeze when I gave them a good sniff. It smells sweet and is stalky too, just hope it likes it :)

I will see about samples from hay for pets and dust free hay :) going to get a mask too for cleaning out and hopefully I can find someone to take the offending bale

Back