• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can I get Belle a friend

Tinkabella

Young Bun
Hi guys I'm wondering if it would be ok to get Belle a friend. We bought belle from pets at home I just couldn't leave her there one ear up and licking the glass. Anyway we have had her near 3 years and just feel mean having her on her own. She's a house bunny that has the full run of the whole house except when we go to bed she's in her large cage, anyway sometimes I look at her and she looks so sad, she will come over when you open the fridge or lye on the floor now and then she will jump on the couch for a quick stroke or if you have a treat, she also comes over about 11pm to tell you she wants her bed doing cause that's when we clean the cage and give her fresh hay and then a feed when putting her in her cage for bed.

Do you think it would be ok to buy another bunny from pets at home so she can have a mate to play with

If you think she'd like a friend I think the best thing would be to look for some rabbits available for rehoming as they can match up a friend to suit her personality.
I know how tempting the bunnies in P@H are (and I have been guilty of falling for it myself!) but there are far more benefits from rehoming one
- you can find a bunny to suit the personality of yours
- rehoming centers are overflowing with rabbits - you'd be doing a good thing by rehoming one in need as sadly many rabbits are put down becuase there aren't enough homes :(
- chances are the rabbit will already have been spayed/neutered. Probably best to go for a neutered buck as you've got a doe - they're easiest to pair. Has Belle already been spayed? She would need to be before bonding with either gender as she will be territorial. And pairing her with an intact buck if she isn't spayed wouldn't be a good idea for obvious reasons. Plus does are extremely prone to uterine cancer - the estimate is that 80% of unspayed does will get it eventually - and it doesn't tend to have a very good outlook as by the time symptoms show it's often too late.
Getting a rescue rabbit that has already been neutered not only saves the cost, which is a huge bonus as rabbits can be expensive to spay/neuter (I'm about to pay nearly £90 each for both of my young bucks to be done and nearly £100 for my youngest doe) but more importantly, for me anyway, you don't have to go through the stress and worry of having them go through an operation.
- the rabbit is more likely to be healthy. There are lots of stories of people getting a rabbit from P@H (and other pets stores) that turned out to be ill, and some of them don't make it. I ended up with an ill bunny myself (told you I'd fallen for it:oops:) from P@H, though thankfully they honoured their word and covered the vets fees as they knew she had been sick and had treated her before selling her. Generally the rabbits in my local one have always been healthy but I have seen one with discharge from his eyes and I think he had snuffles. I pointed it out and he was removed but the other rabbits in with him must have been infected too. And they must have gone on to be sold as they were all still in there days later, not being quarantined.
The last thing you want is to end up with a sick rabbit that could pass something on to Belle.

If you're really set on getting one from P@H do check the rehoming section. These rabbits have usually either been in the store for a long time or have been returned to the store. They don't seem to stay long - about a week. I don't know what happens to them if they don't find a home and dread to think. I have deep regrets about not picking up an adorable buck who had the misfortune of being a 'boring' colour but had the sweetest personality. I think I'll always regret not adopting him now. I really do hope he got a home, though I have my doubts as he was in there quite a while.
These rabbits are free - I think with an optional donation? - and last I knew came with a voucher to spay/neuter
But there are plenty of rabbit rescues who desperately need people to take in the rabbits they have. Getting another pet shop rabbit might not work out as it might not get along with Belle but you've got a much better chance getting one from a rescue :D

Cant really add anything to the above post! Is your new bun spayed? She will need to be spayed first and allowed time to recover before getting a friend. Id also recommend reading up on threads in the bonding section whilst she's recovering so you can be more prepared. Id just like to add the rabbits aren't free in the pah adoption, the minimum donation is half the price of whatever the animal is in the other section. Or it was when I adopted Jake, two of my guineas and ratties :)

If you're really set on getting one from P@H do check the rehoming section. These rabbits have usually either been in the store for a long time or have been returned to the store. They don't seem to stay long - about a week. I don't know what happens to them if they don't find a home and dread to think. I have deep regrets about not picking up an adorable buck who had the misfortune of being a 'boring' colour but had the sweetest personality. I think I'll always regret not adopting him now. I really do hope he got a home, though I have my doubts as he was in there quite a while.
These rabbits are free - I think with an optional donation? - and last I knew came with a voucher to spay/neuter
But there are plenty of rabbit rescues who desperately need people to take in the rabbits they have. Getting another pet shop rabbit might not work out as it might not get along with Belle but you've got a much better chance getting one from a rescue :D

I just adopted my boy from the p@h adoption centre. He was in there for fighting with his brothers. They did provide a voucher for vaccinations, health check and neutering. The suggested donation for him was around £20. which is just over half what their normal buns cost.

Once the neuter is done I'm adopting a friend for him from a local rescue where they'll help start the bonding process and will have her already neutered etc.

Everything I've read says that bunnies are happier in pairs. I can't wait for Guybrush to have a little wife. :) Hope you manage to find a perfect friend for your girl.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Id just like to add the rabbits aren't free in the pah adoption, the minimum donation is half the price of whatever the animal is in the other section. Or it was when I adopted Jake, two of my guineas and ratties :)
Oh sorry, my mistake! I thought donation was just encouraged :oops:

Just to add, the other benefit of going for a rescue bun is, if the worst happens and they don't get on, most rescues will take the other one back and perhaps help you find one that's more suitable. If you get one from a pet shop, you could potentially have two single buns to accommodate, which might be even more difficult with free-ranging house rabbits.

Thanks guys. Belle is already neutered. Does anyone know of anywhere near Liverpool that I can go to to look for a bunny that needs to be re homed.

Back