• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anxiety about my bunny

mariposa

Mama Doe
I've had problems with anxiety for a long time. We recently got our first ever bunny, a house rabbit. (He's on his own at the moment but we'll look into getting him a girlfriend from a rescue once he's been "done")

I love having him here, and find it so therapeutic sitting stroking him, but I'm also very worried about him. I worry that we're not feeding him right, that he'll get ill, and that he'll hurt himself somehow, or pass away unexpectedly. He managed to squeeze through the bars of his pen on his second night, so we put weld mesh all round it, but I'm still worried he'll get out somehow (I know some rabbits can climb/jump so we peg blankets over the top at night) and injure himself/cause lots of damage to the flat.

I feel silly feeling like this as pets are supposed to reduce anxiety, and I don't know what I'm expecting you guys to say, just needed lto get it out!

I've had problems with anxiety for a long time. We recently got our first ever bunny, a house rabbit. (He's on his own at the moment but we'll look into getting him a girlfriend from a rescue once he's been "done")

I love having him here, and find it so therapeutic sitting stroking him, but I'm also very worried about him. I worry that we're not feeding him right, that he'll get ill, and that he'll hurt himself somehow, or pass away unexpectedly. He managed to squeeze through the bars of his pen on his second night, so we put weld mesh all round it, but I'm still worried he'll get out somehow (I know some rabbits can climb/jump so we peg blankets over the top at night) and injure himself/cause lots of damage to the flat.

I feel silly feeling like this as pets are supposed to reduce anxiety, and I don't know what I'm expecting you guys to say, just needed lto get it out!

Actually everything you've said is perfectly normal! It shows you care, and that you're observant.

With a bit of time and experience, you'll know what is worth worrying about and what isn't, but I guess many of us have been through the stage you're going through right now.

I love that you have a house bunny and that he's going to have a friend. You have already done a million times more lovely things for your bunny than most of the rabbit-owning population.

Well done - I think you're doing fabulously :thumb:

I can really sympathise. It is natural to worry when you first stsrt to care for a new pet. I hope the stroking therapy slowly wprksmits magic.

I am currently experiencing a lot of anxiety and know how easily it can take over.

There is a wealth of information on here. As long as your rabbit has plenty of fresh hay a good supply of fresh water and some greens fresh herbs or forage he will be just fine.

Having him in the house will helpmyou bond more quickly withnhim too. Photos are alwaysnmuch appreciated on here!

I constantly feel anxious about them but after time it gets easier as you see they are strong. The best thing I can say is know your rabbit, know the signs if they are poorly or distressed and that will help ease your anxiety and the majority of the time you'll see there's nothing to fear.

Good advice

Can you find something for him to do which is fun for him and for you to watch, going through tubes or cardboard boxes? I think when you see him enjoying life you will feel better as well. I suppose one of the best ways to observe a rabbit in a happy mode is once you have got him a friend and they will sit together etc. This is one of the things which makes me happiest.

Thank you all so much. Really kind of you :love:

MightyMax, you're right of course, it's just hard to believe sometimes! It might be a while before we can get him a friend, but he gets lots and lots of love from us. I'm glad we've pegged the blankets as I had the big box of hay next to the pen while cleaning yesterday and I'm fairly sure all four feet left the ground up the side! He didn't get too far though, probably partly as he heard me gasp :lol:

tulsi, so sorry to hear you're experiencing anxiety too. It's so hard, as I'm good at catastrophising and imagining the worst :( You're right - I've already found the info and advice on here invaluable. He has plenty of hay, fresh water, a small amount of pellets and we're just starting him on herbs, veg etc (he's 3 months old). We're bonding well I think - he'll happily sit and be stroked and has started licking/grooming us :love:

CookieCrisp - thank you, I think you're right that the more we get to know him, the easier it'll become. I'm always going to be someone who worries more than others, and that's ok, but I need to keep it to a reasonable level.

Edited to add response to Tonibun (started typing this this morning so didn't see your reply) - we give him lots of toys and have trained him to do some tricks too :) We'll definitely look into a friend for him when the time's right.

Edited again - both OH and I work from home a lot so bun's not left on his own for a long time and gets plenty of interaction.

Thank you all so much again :)

Last edited:
Thank you all so much. Really kind of you :love:

MightyMax, you're right of course, it's just hard to believe sometimes! It might be a while before we can get him a friend, but he gets lots and lots of love from us. I'm glad we've pegged the blankets as I had the big box of hay next to the pen while cleaning yesterday and I'm fairly sure all four feet left the ground up the side! He didn't get too far though, probably partly as he heard me gasp :lol:

tulsi, so sorry to hear you're experiencing anxiety too. It's so hard, as I'm good at catastrophising and imagining the worst :( You're right - I've already found the info and advice on here invaluable. He has plenty of hay, fresh water, a small amount of pellets and we're just starting him on herbs, veg etc (he's 3 months old). We're bonding well I think - he'll happily sit and be stroked and has started licking/grooming us :love:

CookieCrisp - thank you, I think you're right that the more we get to know him, the easier it'll become. I'm always going to be someone who worries more than others, and that's ok, but I need to keep it to a reasonable level.

Edited to add response to Tonibun (started typing this this morning so didn't see your reply) - we give him lots of toys and have trained him to do some tricks too :) We'll definitely look into a friend for him when the time's right.

Edited again - both OH and I work from home a lot so bun's not left on his own for a long time and gets plenty of interaction.

Thank you all so much again :)

I think another bun from a rescue centre won't know what's in store for her when she hits your household :D
She will be so very lucky! x

I think another bun from a rescue centre won't know what's in store for her when she hits your household :D
She will be so very lucky! x

Thank you! That's really kind of you to say xx I'll keep you updated on any developments, but won't be for a while yet.

Tulsi - I meant to say, I haven't got round to putting any pictures up yet but will share a link here if I do :)

Hi. I can totally sympathise with what you've said. I suffer too with anxiety and used to constantly worry about my bunny (exactly the same things you have said!) but since we have got him a friend I worry less...He seems happier, is drinking more water, eating more hay and pooping more (and better poops too!). I have found this forum a great source for help and support though.
(Although I do sometimes read posts about others bunnies being poorly, getting injured etc and I feel my anxiety and worries kicking in thinking what if that happened to mine!

Hi. I can totally sympathise with what you've said. I suffer too with anxiety and used to constantly worry about my bunny (exactly the same things you have said!) but since we have got him a friend I worry less...He seems happier, is drinking more water, eating more hay and pooping more (and better poops too!). I have found this forum a great source for help and support though.
(Although I do sometimes read posts about others bunnies being poorly, getting injured etc and I feel my anxiety and worries kicking in thinking what if that happened to mine!

Thank you, it's nice to know I'm not alone (but not nice that others have to go through it too!)
Our little guy is a great eater, drinks plenty of water and munches away on hay. I wonder if I'd worry more with two - double trouble :lol: Anyway, we'll be looking into it once he's had the snip.

I completely agree about the forum - fantastic resources and support, but of course I too have the same anxiety when I read some threads!

Back