• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

neutered male and un neutered female bonding - start or wait?

booboobunny

Warren Scout
So I've got a new female and of course I will be getting her neutered as soon as she is settled into being in her new home.
I've done some research online about bonding rabbits whilst the female is not yet neutered. I read an article saying that bonded rabbits tend to recover quicker from surgeries than single rabbits. I'm wondering if it is worth starting the bonding pre spay and then she'd have a friend there to help her recover? My male was neutered last week (we only found out in surgery that he was male, so that was a shock!), and I wouldn't start any kind of bonding for the next couple of weeks to make sure there are no accidents. Is it worth starting the bonding before her spay, which probably wouldn't be until end of November/ beginning of December?

If your male rabbit was neutered last week you will need to wait for another 4 or 5 weeks before putting him and the female together as he could still get her pregnant. How old is she?

Ok, I'll probably get her spayed in that time then. I'd read a few times that it would only take about 2 weeks before he was no longer fertile, but if it's actually up to 5 then I'd better wait on the bonding. I'm glad I asked, I definitely do not want any babies!

So I've got a new female and of course I will be getting her neutered as soon as she is settled into being in her new home.
I've done some research online about bonding rabbits whilst the female is not yet neutered. I read an article saying that bonded rabbits tend to recover quicker from surgeries than single rabbits. I'm wondering if it is worth starting the bonding pre spay and then she'd have a friend there to help her recover? My male was neutered last week (we only found out in surgery that he was male, so that was a shock!), and I wouldn't start any kind of bonding for the next couple of weeks to make sure there are no accidents. Is it worth starting the bonding before her spay, which probably wouldn't be until end of November/ beginning of December?

Males can be fertile for 2/3 weeks post castration, so best to wait a little while anyway. There's no reason why you shouldn't start bonding as soon as you like after that. His hormones will take up to 12 weeks to subside, so you don't want to have to wait that long before you bond them :)

So let's say I wait 4 weeks and then start bonding, would it be beneficial to Florence to be bonded with Albie before she goes to have her spay? As in, would you say her recovery would be aided by having Albie there? She's just under 5 months old currently

Her recovery would definitely be aided by having her friend alongside as long as there is no humping or chasing. :thumb:

So let's say I wait 4 weeks and then start bonding, would it be beneficial to Florence to be bonded with Albie before she goes to have her spay? As in, would you say her recovery would be aided by having Albie there? She's just under 5 months old currently

I think it's swings and roundabouts really. If she has not had his company, she won't miss it when she goes in for her op. However, if you keep them together and she is spayed, please make sure he's not the 'humping dominant' type of male that will pester her.

It would do no harm to separate them for two weeks or so after her spay (if you had bonded them beforehand) so long as they can always see one another ...

Back