• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping outdoor rabbits warm in winter

tabithakat64

Mama Doe
Looking for more ideas on keeping my older outdoor rabbits warm this winter, the aviary is roofed and they have two outdoor hide outs one stuffed with jay and one with a fleece bed. In the shed they have a box stuffed with hay, another hide out and the floor is covered in hay too. When it gets cold they each have a snuggle safe.

What else can I do to ensure they keep warm enough?

If it is dry and draught-free inside, they should be fine with those arrangements. Hay is an excellent insulator so is ideal for bedding. If the bed areas are slightly raised off the floor eg on bricks, they won't get the chill from the ground. They probably won't need the heat pads unless it gets really cold. They have each other to snuggle up to.

Is the shed insulated? It can make a big difference, but isn't essential - it depends on the set up. eg. If the shed is under the aviary roof and not open to the wind, it will stay warmer anyway.

I always go by the water bowl - if it is frozen, they need more insulation.

I have a max/min thermometer hanging on each hutch in the main living area so I know just how cold it has been. I reset it every morning when I check on the rabbits. If it gets to -3'C outside, I usually put an extra layer of covers over the hutch. The water inside never freezes. I rarely use heat pads, but I tend to use them in pairs, wrapped in newspaper to keep the hay off, and put them near the bottom of the bed of hay. They stay warmer for longer in pairs than as 2 singles.

My shed was linked up with electricity so Ginger and Pickles had a heater in there. It meant we had a light and radio too, which made it really cozy mucking out on a winters' evening.

I have large hutches which hubby built. They are double skinned with polystyrene and rock wool insulation between the layers.They also have reptile heatpads wired in and attached to thermostats. I keep the temperature set at 10 degrees C. If the hutch temperature drops below that then the heating kicks in. If it is very windy and bitterly cold or raining I put bubblewrap over the wire fronts. We've done this for years. When I open the hutches to let the buns out or to put food in, they have the "Ready Brek Glow".They have snuggle boxes full of hay they can go in if they want.

Last edited:
Back