• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hibiscrub

SJH

Warren Veteran
Well, poor Hector has hurt his foot. I've to keep it clean with hibiscrub solution. Putting it on with cotton wool, leaving for 5 minutes and then washing it off. I've then been told to put a bit of sudacrem on it.

Great in theory but he has the world's most ticklish feet....

I've applied the hibiscrub by holding a soaked cotton wool pad on it. All good. However, "washing it off" is proving to be a joke. I've tried but I can't pretend it's totally rinsed off. So, how bad is it for him if he now starts grooming himself?!

Meanwhile, I've bought loads of vet bed mats which are now all over the ground floor of the house (to make the wooden floor easier for him to stay more active and ensure this doesn't turn into a real sore hock. I also hope it helps the other one stay fine too).

Any help or advice gratefully received. I've never had a sore hock problem in any bunnies, let alone Hector. I'm hoping this is just a blip caused by him being a bit lazy over the last week or so (when he had a bit of tummy pain after his moult; all sorted now). He's also had a nail clip. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you just clean it with dilute hibiscrub? Literally a drop in a cup of water. It shouldn't applied neat.

Can you just clean it with dilute hibiscrub? Literally a drop in a cup of water. It shouldn't applied neat.

Sorry, yes. I am applying it diluted. He's got two wet feet with the solution! The vet then said to rinse it off. It's the rinsing that is the problem....

I would just wipe it on with a cotton wool ball to the affected area, not wash the whole foot. No need to rinse if it's dilute

Last edited:
Ah thank you!! I am glad I needn't worry about him ingesting the diluted solution. :)

I've tried the cotton bud/ball but it obviously tickles. A wet cotton wool pad held against the foot over the affected bit whilst administering nose rubs seems to be tolerated so two round wet patches it is!

Thank you :)

And the next challenge: preventing him licking sudacrem off.... :(

This is the very reason I never use Sudacrem, even though my vet recommends it!!

:lol:

The ridiculous thing is, he's not remotely bothered by the sore, racing about and periscoping as normal.....

I still want to get it healed as quickly as I can though :)

:lol:

The ridiculous thing is, he's not remotely bothered by the sore, racing about and periscoping as normal.....

I still want to get it healed as quickly as I can though :)

There are other healing ointments without chemicals. Sudacrem is meant for babies' bottoms, and they don't lick their bottoms!

Regarding hibiscrub, some vets prescribe it to flush out abscess wounds/cavities, so it should be safe when absorbed by the body. Well as safe as Sudocrem anyway :lol:

There are other healing ointments without chemicals. Sudacrem is meant for babies' bottoms, and they don't lick their bottoms!

Regarding hibiscrub, some vets prescribe it to flush out abscess wounds/cavities, so it should be safe when absorbed by the body. Well as safe as Sudocrem anyway :lol:

With my old incontinent bun, I used to use a cream I got from the pet shop, supposedly for bunnies, with tea tree in it I think. Any ideas on others? I just don't like the thought of him ingesting stuff that really isn't for bunnies.

That's a good point about the hibiscrub. At least I don't need to worry about him ingesting that!

Honestly, bunnies are such a worry, particularly when he seems oblivious to it all.... No wonder my hair is grey!

With my old incontinent bun, I used to use a cream I got from the pet shop, supposedly for bunnies, with tea tree in it I think. Any ideas on others? I just don't like the thought of him ingesting stuff that really isn't for bunnies.

That's a good point about the hibiscrub. At least I don't need to worry about him ingesting that!

Honestly, bunnies are such a worry, particularly when he seems oblivious to it all.... No wonder my hair is grey!

I don't go for tea tree myself, as I find it can be a bit harsh, depending on the dilution ....

I have gentle healing creams, but I won't post on here, as the minute I mention anything not mainstream, or 'alternative' ... well .... :shock:

Personally I would not use anything containing Tea Tree Oil

http://www.poison.org/articles/2010-dec/tea-tree-oil

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...v=onepage&q=tea tree toxic to rabbits&f=false

http://allnaturalpetcare.com/blog/2...euca_alternifolia-leucadendron-safe-for-pets/

'Natural' does not necessarily imply 'safe' xx

I used Hibiscrub diluted, not neat, it's quite strong. Just dunk his foot in it. Sudacrem is a bit messy if you put it on too thick. Just a thin coating of it should do the trick.

Thank you. They are interesting. :)

I was always a bit dubious about it but, by that stage, we knew my old and incontinent bun had weeks to live so it was a case of anything to provide his skin with a barrier and make him comfortable to see out the rest of his days (which he plainly was - bless his little paws). As I say, the packet "recommended it" for bunnies but, in reality, we all know that's not necessarily to be relied upon.

I'll try to rub the cream in rather better and avoid getting any onto the surrounding fur. I think that will help. OH is home tonight so it might be easier with two!! Trouble is, you can tickle Hector's feet "remotely". Even the vet was laughing at him. :lol:

Thank you. They are interesting. :)

I was always a bit dubious about it but, by that stage, we knew my old and incontinent bun had weeks to live so it was a case of anything to provide his skin with a barrier and make him comfortable to see out the rest of his days (which he plainly was - bless his little paws). As I say, the packet "recommended it" for bunnies but, in reality, we all know that's not necessarily to be relied upon.

I'll try to rub the cream in rather better and avoid getting any onto the surrounding fur. I think that will help. OH is home tonight so it might be easier with two!! Trouble is, you can tickle Hector's feet "remotely". Even the vet was laughing at him. :lol:

People on here (and indeed vets!) have recommended F10 for flystrike prevention and treatment. I have always said I would never use it because of the dangerous chemicals it contains. It's even described as hazardous to humans, and yet we are supposed to apply it to our rabbits' bottoms.

I have now heard of five cases recently where rabbits' skin has been badly 'burned' by using this treatment.

People scoff at 'natural' remedies, but I have never ever harmed a rabbit by using creams with natural ingredients. If I wouldn't use it on my own skin, I wouldn't use it on theirs either!

SJH thank you for your PM ... will reply shortly ;)

. As I say, the packet "recommended it" for bunnies but, in reality, we all know that's not necessarily to be relied upon.

Yes, it's always good to be mindful of that. Rather like some 'treats' sold specifically for Rabbits, but the treats contain milk and/or eggs !! Doh ! :roll:

Back