• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Whats better ...

Helenmarie85

Warren Scout
Rosie will be old enough to be spayed at the begining of november. Buster can be done now as they can pull his bits down enough to do it. We were told by the vet when Buster is done we still have to separate them for 4-5 weeks as he can retain sperm. Rosie has to be 4 months for them to spay. Would it be better to keep them separated for the next 4 weeks. Get Rosie done, let her have her 2 weeks to heal and then put them together because then if her did the urge it wouldn't matter because shes already done. And then get him done. Or do him first?? (by the time his weeks are up she would have possiably had the op anyway)

Does any of this make sense lol??

Makes total sense! I would say get him done first so then they should both be ready at about the same time and they don't have to be apart longer than necessary. Best of luck with your little sweethearts!

Rosie will be old enough to be spayed at the begining of november. Buster can be done now as they can pull his bits down enough to do it. We were told by the vet when Buster is done we still have to separate them for 4-5 weeks as he can retain sperm. Rosie has to be 4 months for them to spay. Would it be better to keep them separated for the next 4 weeks. Get Rosie done, let her have her 2 weeks to heal and then put them together because then if her did the urge it wouldn't matter because shes already done. And then get him done. Or do him first?? (by the time his weeks are up she would have possiably had the op anyway)

Does any of this make sense lol??

You wont be able to put him with Rosie whilst he's still entire. He would not leave her alone and it could result in a fight if she tried to fend him off. Even if no fighting occured it'd be a miserable and stressful time for Rosie.

I'd get Buster neutered first and personally I would not want to spay a Doe until 5 months at the earliest. But that is just my unqualified opinion.

Makes total sense! I would say get him done first so then they should both be ready at about the same time and they don't have to be apart longer than necessary. Best of luck with your little sweethearts!

I would agree with this ^^^

As I replied on another thread, the buck should be kept on his own after castration for at least a couple of weeks, as he will still be fertile. Your doe can be spayed any time from 4 months onwards, as your vet has told you :thumb:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/neutering28807.pdf

4 months is quite young to have your rabbit spayed. I think the best way would be to have your boy done then wait for 4/5 weeks before putting them back together. Then you can get your female done at your leisure when she is a bit older. This way you will get them back together the soonest without risking a pregnancy. Then when you have her spayed they should be able to be put back together straightaway, provided they are calm.

Back