• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vets stumped about Theo UD Post-Neuter

MissSherwood89

Mama Doe
I've briefly posted previously about Theo's almost non-stop drinking and peeing, and we're still none the wiser over it. Blood and urine tests have shown nothing, he's as healthy as he can be, his teeth have been checked thoroughly, he's eating fine and is as friendly and cuddly as can be. Under vet's orders we're currently monitoring exactly how much he's drinking and it's working out to more or less 1L a day - For a tiny bunny it seems very excessive! They seem reluctant to start any kind of treatment without knowing exactly what's wrong, so at the moment we kind of feel like we're in limbo over it.

Original plan was to get him neutered this week but obviously we want to clear this up first. He's been with us for just over a month now and has been the same since day one.

Anyone have any ideas at all?

Last edited:
I'm not sure to be honest :oops: Both tests were sent to a lab and we had to wait a week for results so I would hope they tested for all sorts! OH has to phone them tomorrow so I'll get him to ask.

Really not helpful at all, sorry! :oops:

Last edited:
Probably a stupid question, but what does he drink from i.e. a bottle or bowl? Have you considered changing to see whether it's some kind of repetitive habit?

Probably a stupid question, but what does he drink from i.e. a bottle or bowl? Have you considered changing to see whether it's some kind of repetitive habit?

In his last home he had a bottle but now he has a bowl. Vet is starting to think it could be more of a behavioural issue, she mentioned Polydipsia, a quick google search tells me that there's about 100 different causes for it!

Last edited:
I'm not sure to be honest :oops: Both tests were sent to a lab and we had to wait a week for results so I would hope they tested for all sorts! OH has to phone them tomorrow so I'll get him to ask.

Really not helpful at all, sorry! :oops:

One litre a day is certainly excessive! Most humans don't drink that amount!

Do let us know the test results ... Has he been treated for E.Cuniculi? That makes a bunny thirsty.

I guess he has had his blood tested for kidney issues?

Have his teeth been examined under sedation and X-rays taken? A sore mouth can make a bunny drink for England!

He's been on Lapizole for just over 3 weeks, hasn't made a difference at all but we're persevering. His teeth were checked under sedation, there were some tiny spurs but now he's on a much better diet so they shouldn't be a problem. I'd assume x-rays would be the next step as she said kidney/bladder stones could be a possibility.

He's been on Lapizole for just over 3 weeks, hasn't made a difference at all but we're persevering. His teeth were checked under sedation, there were some tiny spurs but now he's on a much better diet so they shouldn't be a problem. I'd assume x-rays would be the next step as she said kidney/bladder stones could be a possibility.

I take it he doesn't have any problems eating at all then?

Yes I think X-rays ... even though they may not necessarily get to the bottom what's going on.

But here's hoping :)

I take it he doesn't have any problems eating at all then?

Yes I think X-rays ... even though they may not necessarily get to the bottom what's going on.

But here's hoping :)

No, he's a little gannet! :lol: Another thought was diabetes, but I'd have thought that would have been picked up in the blood/urine tests. If it does turn out to be behavioural I'm not sure I'd even know where to start in stopping it.

I've briefly posted previously about Theo's almost non-stop drinking and peeing, and we're still none the wiser over it. Blood and urine tests have shown nothing, he's as healthy as he can be, his teeth have been checked thoroughly, he's eating fine and is as friendly and cuddly as can be. Under vet's orders we're currently monitoring exactly how much he's drinking and it's working out to more or less 1L a day - For a tiny bunny it seems very excessive! They seem reluctant to start any kind of treatment without knowing exactly what's wrong, so at the moment we kind of feel like we're in limbo over it.

Original plan was to get him neutered this week but obviously we want to clear this up first. He's been with us for just over a month now and has been the same since day one.

Anyone have any ideas at all?

Does he spray urine a lot and exhibit a considerable amount of entire Buck behaviour ? Can he see/smell other Rabbits ?

I expect his blood and urine tests covered issues such as kidney and liver function, signs of infection, EC titres. Hopefully the Vet will be able to clarify exactly what has been ruled out so far x

No, he's a little gannet! :lol: Another thought was diabetes, but I'd have thought that would have been picked up in the blood/urine tests. If it does turn out to be behavioural I'm not sure I'd even know where to start in stopping it.

Good, glad he is eating :D

Diabetes is rare, but not an impossible diagnosis. More info here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Metabolic_diseases/Diabetes_en.htm

and here: http://www.goddardvetgroup.co.uk/pet-factsheets/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_295056.shtml

Excessive eating and drinking are issues with diabetes (I'm sure you know this!).

It's difficult to accurately measure blood glucose in rabbits as it goes up when they are stressed. Here's what I read:

Rabbits that indicate clinical signs and have high blood glucose levels may be suffering with Diabetes. A further blood test can be undertaken (fructosamine), which measures the blood glucose levels over a couple of weeks, which gives a much better indication of DM than a shapshot which is what a spot test blood glucose level gives.

Just random thoughts - I'd be really interested in what the vet has to say :D

Last edited:
Does he spray urine a lot and exhibit a considerable amount of entire Buck behaviour ? Can he see/smell other Rabbits ?

I expect his blood and urine tests covered issues such as kidney and liver function, signs of infection, EC titres. Hopefully the Vet will be able to clarify exactly what has been ruled out so far x
I suppose he can get a little over-excited, he circles our feet and sometimes nibbles our legs/hands at feeding time but nothing like buzzing, humping, etc. Probably something I really should know, but is there an easy way to tell the difference between spraying and normal peeing? (I imagine the smell would be a giveaway!)

He can see and smell Mylo, she likes to sit outside his room (we have a baby gate & puppy panel double-barrier!) but he doesn't really seem bothered by her presence at all. He's a lot more interested in us going in to see him.

He's an interesting little character, but then I've never had an entire male before, was really hoping he'd be neutered by now.

I suppose he can get a little over-excited, he circles our feet and sometimes nibbles our legs/hands at feeding time but nothing like buzzing, humping, etc. Probably something I really should know, but is there an easy way to tell the difference between spraying and normal peeing? (I imagine the smell would be a giveaway!)

He can see and smell Mylo, she likes to sit outside his room (we have a baby gate & puppy panel double-barrier!) but he doesn't really seem bothered by her presence at all. He's a lot more interested in us going in to see him.

He's an interesting little character, but then I've never had an entire male before, was really hoping he'd be neutered by now.

Normal peeing would be in the litter tray, and spraying would be when he would spray urine around to mark his territory and assert his maleness! It's a sign of love, and is usually associated with unneutered males :D

I hope you can get to the bottom of his drinking - Jemima's thread was interesting to re-read :)

I was going to suggest tooth roots, but I see that was also investigated in Alfrid's case. (So glad he is doing well. :) )
I really hope they can get to the bottom of Theo's issues. I know my bunnies go way up in water consumption when they need dentals, no matter how small their spurs. They either need to fill their tummies because they've become inappetant or they like to cool their mouths with the water. I hope whatever is up with Theo it's easily sussed. :love: xxxx

Psssttt....have we seen any recent pictures of the wee lad? ;)

I was going to suggest tooth roots, but I see that was also investigated in Alfrid's case. (So glad he is doing well. :) )
I really hope they can get to the bottom of Theo's issues. I know my bunnies go way up in water consumption when they need dentals, no matter how small their spurs. They either need to fill their tummies because they've become inappetant or they like to cool their mouths with the water. I hope whatever is up with Theo it's easily sussed. :love: xxxx

Psssttt....have we seen any recent pictures of the wee lad? ;)

Yes that was my first suggestion ...

I hope something simple comes to the fore. It's awful wondering about the cause and not being able to find it!

If all possible clinical conditions are excluded then I would not discount the possibility of it being behavioural and that it will resolve after he is neutered. I have seen this exact scenario in a few young entire Bucks. Diagnostics drew a blank and the Bucks were all perfectly healthy, it was just the excessive water intake and consequently excessive urination that worried me and C. But after neutering all the Bucks gradually returned to a completely normal water intake/urine output and never had a problem again. The one other thing they all had in common is that they were extremely highly sexed young Bucks !! I could guarantee getting doused by a shower of wee every time I went to see them, I certainly learned to keep my mouth firmly shut when within firing range !! The Bucks were also very humpy and buzzy. Me and C concluded that the drinking was due to a constant feeling of having to do something, ANYTHING, to quieten the constant urge to mate.

If all possible clinical conditions are excluded then I would not discount the possibility of it being behavioural and that it will resolve after he is neutered. I have seen this exact scenario in a few young entire Bucks. Diagnostics drew a blank and the Bucks were all perfectly healthy, it was just the excessive water intake and consequently excessive urination that worried me and C. But after neutering all the Bucks gradually returned to a completely normal water intake/urine output and never had a problem again. The one other thing they all had in common is that they were extremely highly sexed young Bucks !! I could guarantee getting doused by a shower of wee every time I went to see them, I certainly learned to keep my mouth firmly shut when within firing range !! The Bucks were also very humpy and buzzy. Me and C concluded that the drinking was due to a constant feeling of having to do something, ANYTHING, to quieten the constant urge to mate.

That's interesting, will definitely ask about neutering him soon then. One thing we did notice was he does a little wee every time we go say hello to him! He uses his tray but the majority of it is on the floor, we just put that down to him never having a tray before (he used to live outside).

Thank you all for the kind words and advice :love: I have a long day in work so OH will be phoning the vets, will get him to read through everything here and see if we get get some answers.

Couple of pics, just for MimzMum ;)
12033179_10153242670261847_7479030580277931687_n.jpg

12011202_10153226182006847_7555207514260339622_n.jpg

Back