• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aboleth and Lopsy update

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
Since we got Aboleth 3 months ago, she's settled in really well and they are proper buddies: they do a lot of nose-fighting, where they try and get under each other's chins, and they always look for each other when they go somewhere. They're really lovely to each other most of the time, and they 'share' food (stealing it from each other) and chase each other at pellets time (jostling for the best position: I think they're just running in circles so it only looks like they're chasing!). Aboleth is dominant: if something goes awry (treats too far away to reach, small children visiting), she humps Lopsy, but it doesn't last very long and they're best friends again after less than an hour.

They are housed in a playhouse (Area 1) which is connected 24/7 to a run (Area 2) which is connected 24/7 to Lopsy's old teeny tiny hutch (Area 3), which is connected when we're home to an open-topped pen (Area 4) either on grass or concrete (depending on how the lawn's doing). They have a litter tray in the house and the hutch.

She's smarter: she has her moments, like when she runs back outside if pellets take too long to come in, or falls off the bricks up to the tubes (in the run), or stands on the bramble (every day.........). But generally, smarter. She's the one who goes and gets Lopsy if he's being slow at pellets time (she knows she won't get any until he's in too), she waits for him to get carrot peelings from the run roof (easier than stretching yourself!), that sort of thing.

Lopsy is a big doofus: he was excited by pellets yesterday and skidded into the playhouse and then didn't quite make the jump up to the windowsill and fell off quite heavily. All was quiet for a second then he went outside and grumped on the top of the bricks. I shut the playhouse door and opened the run to check on him: Aboleth came out too (not sure if she was looking for him or the pellets...). He seemed OK, and I shook the pellets again and the both came in top-speed again: Lopsy bounced on everything in a spectacular display of coordinated agility, so I thought I'd leave them until late-supper leaf time. He as fine then too, and again this morning. He's very good at misjudging things so I think he might have sight problems: I expect it from Aboleth as she's one-eyed, but she has less distance problems! Like when I take the sliding tray out of he hutch and he jumps up to apparently sit on a non-existent sill and lands on his backside: Aboleth's never tried that. I am much quicker with the slider now though, so he doesn't get curious and jump again.

Lopsy's also good at snuggling with Aboleth and nearly being suffocated: he likes to top-tail with her and she inevitably moves and sits on his face! Silly bunnies...

Back