• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

growing my own Ribwort plantain...indoors now? :-/ Calling expert gardeners

chelle

Warren Veteran
hi all,

just purchased some ribwort plantain seeds as Im finding the plantain around me is gone or trampled...by dogs people etc....so you supposed to sow them in march and then plant out blah blah...lol....do you think i could grow some indoors?

Would it actually grow or am i wasting my time and need to wait till next year.

Im hopeful I might have a few growing at a time and its an extra yummy bit to feed in the winter months ahead.

I haven't got any indoors. I have got some I pulled up from our front path in a big pot though which in trying to keep going into winter.

If sow some now and see. Id probably pop them in the airing cupboard. However, I do know that it grows in very specific places in the wild so I'm not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cheer - might give it a go and maybe like you've done look for one I can pull out and repot.

The airing cupboard would dry the seeds out I think.

If only we had a hot house for our bunnies foraged foods - imagine how great that would be

thanks for replying:wave:

I've just bought plantain seeds too. One the packet it says to plant out anytime of the year. Apparently the seeds will just wait until conditions are right and then grow. So I'm putting mine in the garden tomorrow and will see what happens!

aaah really - thats brilliant..might have another closer look at the packet and see if it says anything like that but I dont think it did. Im going to sow some outside and some inside I think.
I think the slugs & snails eat any new shoots that come up and I dont want to put any killer stuff down of course due to bunnies but we also have wild hedgehogs so I suffer...lol.

Cheers for that - will be interesting to see how we do :)

Mine says to
sow during late march to late may
under glass at temp 16 degrees C
***** off into pots or boxes and grow on
harden off gradually before planting out during september or october to a spacing of 30 cm apart

average content 750 seeds!!!!!! lol! Surely I can get at least some to grow..but how odd to plant out so late in the year...

haha a garden term is a banned word on here.Starts with a P and ends in CK,middle letters RI,it means to thin out and replant seedlings.:lol:

haha a garden term is a banned word on here.Starts with a P and ends in CK,middle letters RI,it means to thin out and replant seedlings.:lol:

Have to admit that it drives me crazy when forums censor words like that. It just makes it so difficult trying to think of ways to say perfectly innocent words. I had "cocksfoot" censored earlier when I typed it as two words, and there's nothing in the slightest bit offensive about a type of grass! :lol:

I mean it doesn't even stop swearing anyway, people get round it in various ways so you know exactly what they mean.

Okay, rant over. ;)

As for when to sow seeds, I recommend whenever the plant is producing seeds in the wild, and they'll germinate when they're ready. The plantain here has flower/seed heads so there's no reason not to try some now.

agree :lol:

Ive just started some "cocksfoot" grass off inside...my OH is rolling his eyes at me and muttering about seeds under his vbreath...lol..like its any bother to him really! lol

I might just pop some plantain outside into some pots & see what happens...you never know!

(I think he gets fed up about the seeds...sort of because I bought thistle seeds for the birds years ago not realising they could germinate...which they didn't as far as I could tell..lol...but I was trying to encourage certain birds into the garden...lol......I think I love animals more than him..lol

Have to admit that it drives me crazy when forums censor words like that. It just makes it so difficult trying to think of ways to say perfectly innocent words. I had "cocksfoot" censored earlier when I typed it as two words, and there's nothing in the slightest bit offensive about a type of grass! :lol:

I mean it doesn't even stop swearing anyway, people get round it in various ways so you know exactly what they mean.

Okay, rant over. ;)

As for when to sow seeds, I recommend whenever the plant is producing seeds in the wild, and they'll germinate when they're ready. The plantain here has flower/seed heads so there's no reason not to try some now.

Back