• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alternative to straw?

daisymaisy

Young Bun
Hello! Daisy & Maisy are waiting for their new shed and run area to be completed, but as the weather was changing I got them a big outdoor hutch to sleep in outside. Was concerned that if I didn't hurry up with acclimatising them, it'd be getting too cold to take them out after a night indoors. It's all going very well, except that they've decided the straw I've put in the 'bedroom' must be a second toilet :lol:

They're still using the litter tray, so maybe it's a case of not being bothered to get up to wee during the night?

The sheltered bedroom area has been linoed, carpeted, has two cushions in it, then I half filled with straw for them to keep warm in. Is there something different I could or should be using please?

It really is a case of trial and error! Everywhere you put something soft like straw bunnies will very likely use it as a toilet.

Mine have a litter tray with a fleece in and straw. I've found no poo in there yet and they have had it a while. maybe try that ??

Hello! Daisy & Maisy are waiting for their new shed and run area to be completed, but as the weather was changing I got them a big outdoor hutch to sleep in outside. Was concerned that if I didn't hurry up with acclimatising them, it'd be getting too cold to take them out after a night indoors. It's all going very well, except that they've decided the straw I've put in the 'bedroom' must be a second toilet :lol:

They're still using the litter tray, so maybe it's a case of not being bothered to get up to wee during the night?

The sheltered bedroom area has been linoed, carpeted, has two cushions in it, then I half filled with straw for them to keep warm in. Is there something different I could or should be using please?

It's difficult for rabbits to differentiate between a litter tay filled with straw and a bedroom filled with straw!

If you don't want them to pee in the bedroom - and you put carpet and cushions in it! - then keep the straw out of there.

Yes - I'm not liking the straw! Was thinking about a cat igloo. Just worried they'll get chilly out there :(

Bunnies often use the dark bit of a hutch as a toilet area, I don't think they realise that we think it should be their bedroom :lol: What I do is create some kind of box or cosy area in the main hutch part for them to use for sleeping. At this time of year I put perspex or plastic over the majority of the front of the hutch to keep it dry in the rain and less breezy in the wind. There needs to be enough air flow to stop it getting damp and stale but that's easily achieved by having it badly fitting and/or if there is hole in the hutch which gives access to a run.

Is it possible to have one area where you have the cushions and another area right next to it with a underbed storage box with hay/stratw whatever piled in.

they might just wee in the "litter!" tray area but its an option to keep them warm if they want the straw..and your cushions will be kept clean.. good luck..lol :)

Thank you all. Have been trying a few different tactics, but still not got it right yet! The layout of the hutch means that there's not really room upstairs for a decent sized litter tray and 'bed'. I took all the straw out (mank!) and treated buns to a fabric cat bed with their corner littler tray beside (with big litter tray downstairs), so they used both the litter tray AND the bed as a toilet, and slept on what I'd call the landing, which isn't sheltered....

Tonight I've gone for plan 'c'; carpet, single (smaller) cushion and corner littler tray upstairs. I'm pretty sure both will be soiled by the morning, and buns will sleep alfresco again. Just wondering how chilly it gets before they decide to seek shelter.....

Back