• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Starting over?

lauren64

New Kit
I posted a few months ago regarding issues we were having with our two young make rabbits. They were both very friendly- always jumping on our laps and generally very interested in what we were doing. However, they started fighting with each other and after a particularly nasty scuffle, we decided to separate them. When our friend moved out, she took Frodo with her and we have kept the smaller rabbit, Bilbo.

He was always the more independent bunny and not really swayed by food or treats but not as grumpy as Frodo could be. It's mostly been our fault as we had to let them out separately a lot while they were in the same house so we didn't interact with each of them as much as we used to. However, Bilbo is now quite disinterested in human contact and has little interest in us. Maybe once a week, he'll climb on my back and sniff my hair like he used to but sleeps on the other side of the room when he's out instead of by our feet. Trying to get him back in the cage is a nightmare as he cannot be coaxed by anything and is too fast to pick up. He's not scared of us at all and is always binkying around the house so it seems like he's a happy bunny but I'd like to try and build a bond with him again.

Can anyone recommend anything to help? When I'm getting his bowl out to feed him, he sometimes lunges at me and makes a grunting growling noise as I'm in his territory, whereas he used to be all excited and climb all over our hands. I'm worried his experience with Frodo has left him traumatised and very defensive so we've given him space to get feel comfortable again but he seems to have gotten a little too independent!

i think your rabbit likes his space and when he gets his space(in his cage) he will be more happy .. some rabbits cannot be together and some can even though they were friendly at a young age things can change i suggest you seperate them and take your time bonding with each of them and if they do good try intorducing them again.

Hi, thanks for replying Chloe. They are completely separated now, as in Frodo now lives with our friend in a different house. Our house isn't really big enough to keep both totally separate and I think being let out in a space the other had occupied was making them very wary and unsure of their territory. We tried for a few months to reintroduce them but decided it wasn't worth the risk of one of them seriously injuring the other. Frodo moved out about 3 months ago and seems to be really happy in his new home so we just want to help Bilbo feel as comfortable here again.

It is a shame what has happened but I think with time he will start to forget things and come round. Is there any chance you could find him a little female friend, this would possibly make him feel happier and more confident? Will he not go in for his food when you want him in?

Yeah I'm hoping so. Do you think it's normal for him to take a while? I don't want to rush him but I'm also conscious that I don't want him to settle into bad habits. Has anyone else been in this kind of situation where you've had to permenantly separate a pair of bunnies?
We've thought about getting him a companion but weren't sure how long to leave it? Also, I'm worried that if we got him a younger bunny, he might hurt her because he's still concerned about his territory or afraid of being hurt himself. He's such a lovely rabbit, I hate thinking the worst of him but couldn't live with myself if he hurt another bunny.
And no, he's never had much of an appetite! We've finally found a treat he'll eat out of our hands whilst out but doesn't care enough to risk it if he thinks he's being tricked!

I posted a few months ago regarding issues we were having with our two young make rabbits. They were both very friendly- always jumping on our laps and generally very interested in what we were doing. However, they started fighting with each other and after a particularly nasty scuffle, we decided to separate them. When our friend moved out, she took Frodo with her and we have kept the smaller rabbit, Bilbo.

He was always the more independent bunny and not really swayed by food or treats but not as grumpy as Frodo could be. It's mostly been our fault as we had to let them out separately a lot while they were in the same house so we didn't interact with each of them as much as we used to. However, Bilbo is now quite disinterested in human contact and has little interest in us. Maybe once a week, he'll climb on my back and sniff my hair like he used to but sleeps on the other side of the room when he's out instead of by our feet. Trying to get him back in the cage is a nightmare as he cannot be coaxed by anything and is too fast to pick up. He's not scared of us at all and is always binkying around the house so it seems like he's a happy bunny but I'd like to try and build a bond with him again.

Can anyone recommend anything to help? When I'm getting his bowl out to feed him, he sometimes lunges at me and makes a grunting growling noise as I'm in his territory, whereas he used to be all excited and climb all over our hands. I'm worried his experience with Frodo has left him traumatised and very defensive so we've given him space to get feel comfortable again but he seems to have gotten a little too independent!

Is he neutered? If not, he will have other things on his mind than being friendly to his humans ;)

A female rabbit (spayed) would be a wonderful companion for him :thumb:

Once bonded with a female, he will not hurt her. He will have someone to keep him occupied throughout the day ..

Hi Max, yeah he was neutered when he was young. He's coming up to 2 years now.
I've heard so many stories of people getting another pet and them not getting on and hurting/killing each other. So the common consensus is that he needs to have a young female companion and soon? Do you think he's ready after 3 months alone? My original plan was to try to get him used to us a bit more again and make him trust us more before we started throwing curveballs his way.

In general, rabbits are far happier in pairs and as others have mentioned, a spayed female companion is your best bet. It's imperative that both rabbits are neutered x

Hi Max, yeah he was neutered when he was young. He's coming up to 2 years now.
I've heard so many stories of people getting another pet and them not getting on and hurting/killing each other. So the common consensus is that he needs to have a young female companion and soon? Do you think he's ready after 3 months alone? My original plan was to try to get him used to us a bit more again and make him trust us more before we started throwing curveballs his way.

Hi, welcome to the forum :) many rescues will do the stressful bonding for you and you would be getting a neutered, vaccinated and health checked bunny companion for your boy. Rabbits do need the company of other rabbits and a large rescue will have a selection of potential partners so they would be able to select the most appropriate companion to help your boy become more confident in you again.

Back