• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bit of advice on diet please.

NewBunnyFan

Warren Scout
Hi,

My lovely bunny Fudge is coming up to 13 weeks old. When I got him from the pet shop I was told to move him from Selectvie Junior to the next stage when he was 12 weeks old. I went and got him a bag of the adult Selective on Saturday and have mixed in a few pellets from the new feed with the junior feed. Fudge has had some extra caecotrophs the past couple of days and I'm a little worried (I'm a worrier by nature!!)
Could it be the new feed causing these? He's OK in himself, active, drinking well and excited to see his pellets when they come. He has lots of Timothy hay all over his run and cage and has had some dry forage which I bought for him. Should I stick to the Selective Junior for a while longer??

I'm also wondering about introducing veg to him so any advice on that would be great!!!

It might be just his body getting used to something new. Its the same with our bodies in a way. In regards to veg my two love apples, cucumber, carrots and Kale .. thats all I have tried them on, they also love grass. I probably won't try them on anything else .. between that and the hay, pellets they seem to be doing fine. I'm sure some of the more experienced people who have had bunnies years can help more. I'm new to all this haha!! I know my two have had alsorts since birth since being in a huge run with lots of other rabbits lol!!

How's Fudge getting on with the adult food now? We're going to switch our little guy to Burgess Excel adult soon (he's still on pellets the lady we got him from gave us) and am also a worrier by nature!

I'm new to it all too but we've introduced veg very gradually (tiny piece to start with then more the next day as long as he tolerates it ok). So far he's had basil, parsley and rocket and has tried spinach today :)

Just a note to say often excel can cause upset tummys and is not that high in fibre content compared to oxbow or science selective which are better complete pellets for them.

How much food are you feeding?
Extra ceacotrophs is not a great sign...however if they are formed like a little bunch of tiny shiny brown grapes you at least know that they are the right consistency. Extra ceacotrophs is too many nutrients..hence why he is not eating them from himself.
Id cut back on the nuggets..as this is probably the main cause. and encourage hay hay hay! :)

Usually an eggcup a day is what is recommended as hay needs to make up 90% of their diet...a variety is always nice for them..like meadow hay, timothy & rye hay, ings hay etc.

As he is so young you can give a few extra nuggets but really what you want is for him to be grazing on his hay most of the time...not waiting for nuggets to then fill up his tummy and not eat the hay. of course since their teeth never stop growing the hay is essential in wearing them down. And of course for their digestive system high fibre foods is essential to maintain a healthy gut.
I'd hold out on the vege until a little older myself...you want to get him to be a great hay eater from the start.

You can forage for your own foods..much healthier options and of course its free.... buy this book for £4 to start off with - its great!

http://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/foraging-for-rabbits-by-twigs-way/

here is also another link to a leading expert in rabbit care that you will find helpful

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

Hi,

My lovely bunny Fudge is coming up to 13 weeks old. When I got him from the pet shop I was told to move him from Selectvie Junior to the next stage when he was 12 weeks old. I went and got him a bag of the adult Selective on Saturday and have mixed in a few pellets from the new feed with the junior feed. Fudge has had some extra caecotrophs the past couple of days and I'm a little worried (I'm a worrier by nature!!)
Could it be the new feed causing these? He's OK in himself, active, drinking well and excited to see his pellets when they come. He has lots of Timothy hay all over his run and cage and has had some dry forage which I bought for him. Should I stick to the Selective Junior for a while longer??

I'm also wondering about introducing veg to him so any advice on that would be great!!!

Just a note to say often excel can cause upset tummys and is not that high in fibre content compared to oxbow or science selective which are better complete pellets for them.

I have always fed Excel with no problem at all. I'm not sure you are right about the fibre content - I know Tamsin did a comparison but not sure where it is.

thats great it works for you...I kept having issues with my rabbits when I fed them excel and it seemed alot of others did too. I changed to a higher fibre nugget and it was much better - less mucky ceacotrophes. Excel fibre is about 19% I think and SS and Oxbow are in their 20's from what i recall..not a huge difference but it worked better for my rabbits.

I have always fed Excel with no problem at all. I'm not sure you are right about the fibre content - I know Tamsin did a comparison but not sure where it is.

Hi guys, thank you for the replies. I've stuck to giving Fudge the junior pellets for the moment and he has had no ceacotrophes. He's eating lots of hey and we've introduced some kale and Spring greens. He's got his first vets appointment on Thursday so will ask her about moving him on to the adult food!!

thats great it works for you...I kept having issues with my rabbits when I fed them excel and it seemed alot of others did too. I changed to a higher fibre nugget and it was much better - less mucky ceacotrophes. Excel fibre is about 19% I think and SS and Oxbow are in their 20's from what i recall..not a huge difference but it worked better for my rabbits.

There's just no telling with rabbits is there.

Glad to hear Fudge is doing well - let us know how he gets on at the vet :)

Here's the comparison by Tamsin :) I think it's different for every rabbit. Our vet recommended Burgess Excel which is why we're going to try him on it. I read quite a few threads on here and everyone had different experiences on all the different pellets, so am happy to start with vet's recommendation and see how he gets on - will report back!

Fudge's first vet visit went well, we were lucky to get the last myxomatosis/vhd injection in the practice. She said he looks healthy and well. The vet also said to lower his pellets to a teaspoon as they are not needed in his diet and she said it was like giving my boys a mars bars....they are keen to eat to but as a parent I know the shouldn't have it!!

Anyway he's going in on Wednesday to be neutered and she then said she will put me in touch with a rabbit rescue centre (Fat Fluffs i think it was) so they can find him a wife and help with bonding him!! Now very nervous about this!!!

Aww, glad it went well :) Bonding sounds great - I'd be nervous too but it sounds like you'll get lots of help. Let us know how the neutering and bonding go :)

Back