• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What are signs of Bloat?

mokwa32

Alpha Buck
I have a vet appointment at 4.40 because I went in to give Ted his critical feed and he was rushing away from me (not like him) I caught him and picked him onto my lap and his tummy felt swollen, I don't know if it's my imagination again, but he is like a little balloon. I'm calling them back for a sooner appointment hopefully 😞

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I have a vet appointment at 4.40 because I went in to give Ted his critical feed and he was rushing away from me (not like him) I caught him and picked him onto my lap and his tummy felt swollen, I don't know if it's my imagination again, but he is like a little balloon. I'm calling them back for a sooner appointment hopefully ��

That does sound like his stomach is distended. I would take him to the Vet now if I were you.

Has he been pooing over the last few hours ?

Does he feel abnormally cold to touch ?

Is he lethargic ?

As I said, from you description of his abdomen it sounds as though he needs urgent Veterinary attention

Sending lots of vibes for him xx

That does sound like his stomach is distended. I would take him to the Vet now if I were you.

Has he been pooing over the last few hours ?

Does he feel abnormally cold to touch ?

Is he lethargic ?

As I said, from you description of his abdomen it sounds as though he needs urgent Veterinary attention

Sending lots of vibes for him xx
His ears are quite warm, he is very irritable and is hating me touch him and his tummy, had him on my knee and he nipped my leg to get down (he has never nipped me before) he has energy, to get away from me but is hiding a lot. Pony is acting off too 😞 might take her in too with Ted at 4.40. They couldn't fit him in sooner. He looks swollen from just looking at him. Gosh I hope I'm imagining this.

His ears are quite warm, he is very irritable and is hating me touch him and his tummy, had him on my knee and he nipped my leg to get down (he has never nipped me before) he has energy, to get away from me but is hiding a lot. Pony is acting off too 😞 might take her in too with Ted at 4.40. They couldn't fit him in sooner. He looks swollen from just looking at him. Gosh I hope I'm imagining this.

I am glad he seems warm, as that is a good sign :) It may be stasis, and the vet can address the problem with pro kinetics and metacam. I hope your vet appointment goes well and please don't worry! x

If you leave him alone is he still active or does he sit hunched up? I have only seen it one and that rabbit was sitting very still looking extremely sorry for himself and grinding his teeth, but he would still move if I made him. If it is bloat it is an emergency and the vets should be able to fit him in.

If you leave him alone is he still active or does he sit hunched up? I have only seen it one and that rabbit was sitting very still looking extremely sorry for himself and grinding his teeth, but he would still move if I made him. If it is bloat it is an emergency and the vets should be able to fit him in.

I agree. I would be inclined to head off to the now and ask for him to be triaged.

We just got back. She checked him over and said he is slightly swollen. And gave him an injection of kinetics, she said to monitor him, put a partition between him and pony so I can monitor his droppings and his eating ect.. he is eating his hay just now. But she said to take him off his metcam now as he has been on it long enough and can cause issues in itself. .. so he has two days off it as he has his check up and possible dental on Wednesday. She said on a good note she can see he has gained weight. I just need to monitor him now for any other symptoms.

We just got back. She checked him over and said he is slightly swollen. And gave him an injection of kinetics, she said to monitor him, put a partition between him and pony so I can monitor his droppings and his eating ect.. he is eating his hay just now. But she said to take him off his metcam now as he has been on it long enough and can cause issues in itself. .. so he has two days off it as he has his check up and possible dental on Wednesday. She said on a good note she can see he has gained weight. I just need to monitor him now for any other symptoms.

I hope you feel encouraged by your vet visit - it all seems very positive!

I hope he goes on to make a full recovery. Good that he is eating his hay. Very good!

Yes he seems quiet but he is eating well, just had a strawberry and some fresh basil and parsley. He's scoffing it. I'm glad I took him though and he got the injection. I'm happy he is eating well. The vet thought that because he was already having health issues that his delicate balance was upset a little and maybe he just ate too much. I'm more interested in his poo, soo I'm on poo watch.

Thank you so much everyone, you are all my strength xx

Yes he seems quiet but he is eating well, just had a strawberry and some fresh basil and parsley. He's scoffing it. I'm glad I took him though and he got the injection. I'm happy he is eating well. The vet thought that because he was already having health issues that his delicate balance was upset a little and maybe he just ate too much. I'm more interested in his poo, soo I'm on poo watch.

Thank you so much everyone, you are all my strength xx

Sounds good. Lucky bun getting a strawberry :D

Good luck with your poo watch ... :thumb:

(I'd be a bit quiet if you'd taken me to the vet to be poked and prodded!)

He is very sweet! He must be feeling ok if he wants to tuck into his food :) hopefully you will get up tomorrow to a nice big pile of bunny poops! :D x

Well he isn't pooing properly today and he is pretty inactive wanting to lay down all the time, he didn't eat his critical care of the dish so I just stringed him some. He isn't eating his cellotrophs either (which in recent days he was back eating them) he is still bloated so if called the vet again just to check in see what she thinks 😕

Well he isn't pooing properly today and he is pretty inactive wanting to lay down all the time, he didn't eat his critical care of the dish so I just stringed him some. He isn't eating his cellotrophs either (which in recent days he was back eating them) he is still bloated so if called the vet again just to check in see what she thinks 😕

Did the vet give you ongoing medication to keep his gut moving?

Is he drinking well? You could syringe a little bit of plain water too, if the vet agrees.

Back