• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

CT scan and anaesthetic - worried

lauraandmike

Warren Scout
Hello,
My seven and a half year old mini lop is having a CT scan tomorrow. I am extremely worried about the anaesthetic, he has not been knocked out since he was neutered many years ago.

So should I be concerned? also, does anyone know what sort of questions I should ask at the consultation I will have before the scan?

He has a lump at the base of his ear, wax or abscess or both.

I hope someone can help me :D,
Laura

Whilst there is always a small risk with any GA a Rabbit Savvy Vet would tailor the GA drug protocol to fit the specific needs of the Rabbit. They would also provide supportive measures such as IV fluids, BP monitoring, temperature monitoring and intubation. A Rabbit Savvy Vet will always do everything within their power to minimise risks, but there can never be a 100% risk free GA, regardless of the age of the Rabbit.

I would ask the Vet to run through exactly what the procedure will involve and ensure that there will be ongoing post operative monitoring and care of your Rabbit from either a Vet or suitably qualified VN.

I would then want the Vet to discuss the CT results and give their opinion on treatment options.

Hope all goes well and that a good treatment plan can be found for your Rabbit's ear base abscess.

thank you! I will take your list with me tomorrow! I have to take him to a different vets to my usual one, as they don't have a CT scanner.

I do not know how savvy they are, that's the problem, but im sure my vet wouldn't have sent me unless it was ok. I hope .................

thank you! I will take your list with me tomorrow! I have to take him to a different vets to my usual one, as they don't have a CT scanner.

I do not know how savvy they are, that's the problem, but im sure my vet wouldn't have sent me unless it was ok. I hope .................

I am sure the Vet you already trust would not refer you to anyone who's skills he/she was not confident about. Do let us know how your Rabbit gets on xx

Hello,
My seven and a half year old mini lop is having a CT scan tomorrow. I am extremely worried about the anaesthetic, he has not been knocked out since he was neutered many years ago.

So should I be concerned? also, does anyone know what sort of questions I should ask at the consultation I will have before the scan?

He has a lump at the base of his ear, wax or abscess or both.

I hope someone can help me :D,
Laura

Oh poor you, I understand how you feel!

I should ask the vet what anaesthetic they use. The sedation can vary, and of course you want as little used as possible to get the job done. I would say that all will probably be well - most rabbits recover very well from GA/sedation. I have used two vets and their methods of sedating are completely different. Good to know how they predict the recovery time for your rabbit.

Good luck xx

Oh thank you everyone. The thing is he has seemed absolutely fine and his ear doesnt bother him at the moment, well only slightly. Seems like massive things to put him through when he is well.
The vet did say it wouldnt get better on its own though. So leaving it could cause further damage i guess.
Cats and dogs have to go without food from the evening before. But i assume this is not the case with bunnies who must eat hay constantly. Will let you know how he gets on after the op 😓

Oh thank you everyone. The thing is he has seemed absolutely fine and his ear doesnt bother him at the moment, well only slightly. Seems like massive things to put him through when he is well.
The vet did say it wouldnt get better on its own though. So leaving it could cause further damage i guess.
Cats and dogs have to go without food from the evening before. But i assume this is not the case with bunnies who must eat hay constantly. Will let you know how he gets on after the op 😓

Rabbits must *never* be starved of food before an operation/sedation.

I always make sure they have extra food the night before and in the morning, to 'top up' for the fact that they will probably not eat once they get into the carrier and at the vets ...

Cats and dogs have to go without food from the evening before. But i assume this is not the case with bunnies who must eat hay constantly. Will let you know how he gets on after the op ��

Rabbits do not need to be starved prior to a GA, just for an hour before the actually going under anaesthetic. So you can feed him as normal.

Your Vet is correct in that an ear base abscess wont get better on it's own. The CT scan will be very useful to identify the exact extent of the infection and what parts of the ear are effected. The lump is just what is going on on the surface, the scan will show what more is going on underneath, This will then enable the Vet to discuss the most appropriate treatment options with you.

Thanks Jane. I will sleep better tonight! Truly. I have been torturing myself all day. I feel like im doing the right thing now. Like you say, its just a bump on the surface but god knows whats underneath.
I live for these furbs, i have other issues as well but will post in the appropriate section. Once we have got through tomorrow xx

Thanks Jane. I will sleep better tonight! Truly. I have been torturing myself all day. I feel like im doing the right thing now. Like you say, its just a bump on the surface but god knows whats underneath.
I live for these furbs, i have other issues as well but will post in the appropriate section. Once we have got through tomorrow xx

Good luck for you and your little one tomorrow :thumb:

So i now have scans of joeys head! The lump is possibly fatty tissue. The inner ears are full of air, they are black on the scans. No abcesses.
Unfortunately though both ear tubes are solid with wax. i have spoken to my vet about his ear irritation every time ive visited over the years. They have always bothered him a bit and he is completely deaf. I dont think it is a new problem.
Of course will have to see what he says, but big surgery seems crazy if he has always been like this. Who knows, im speculating and going round in circles.
We have only been back for an hour. He is out of it and wobbly. Did manage a pee on the kitchen floor though, not done that before, must feel really out of it. Ate a twig of parsley and some grass. Waiting for poops then i can relax. Poor joey 😖😖

So i now have scans of joeys head! The lump is possibly fatty tissue. The inner ears are full of air, they are black on the scans. No abcesses.
Unfortunately though both ear tubes are solid with wax. i have spoken to my vet about his ear irritation every time ive visited over the years. They have always bothered him a bit and he is completely deaf. I dont think it is a new problem.
Of course will have to see what he says, but big surgery seems crazy if he has always been like this. Who knows, im speculating and going round in circles.
We have only been back for an hour. He is out of it and wobbly. Did manage a pee on the kitchen floor though, not done that before, must feel really out of it. Ate a twig of parsley and some grass. Waiting for poops then i can relax. Poor joey ����

Sorry I missed this yesterday. Well on the plus side it is good that there is no actual evidence of infection. Do let us know what the Vet suggests now with regards to ongoing treatment.

I hope that Joey is brighter this morning xx

We have only been back for an hour. He is out of it and wobbly. Did manage a pee on the kitchen floor though, not done that before, must feel really out of it. Ate a twig of parsley and some grass. Waiting for poops then i can relax. Poor joey 😖😖

I'm glad to see that there is no actual infection, though that doesn't exactly solve your issue, does it, as the blockage is still there ...

What did your vet say on the findings?

Hello, I have to take the disc with images to the vets. I don't have a clue what he is going to say. a major op for earwax?? I really don't know.

Ill let you know what he plans to do.

Joey wasn't his full self this morning, eating and toileting, but a bit dull. Im going home in a moment to check on him! xx

Hello, I have to take the disc with images to the vets. I don't have a clue what he is going to say. a major op for earwax?? I really don't know.

Joey wasn't his full self this morning, eating and toileting, but a bit dull. Im going home in a moment to check on him! xx

I hope that he will be more his normal self by now xx

Thank you ... It's a difficult call, but your vet will know the best route to take x

Good luck xx

Hi all. My vet has said that joey needs an ear op to permanently open the canal. His ear is packed with wax, it is pressing on his ear drum and making a large pea lump at the base of his ear.
Any advice truly appreciated, is the best thing for him?? Booked in next tuesday.
My vet is bunny savvy and has done this op dozens of times. I do trust him.
Dreading it, have booked time off for his return home. He will stay in for 2 or 3 days.
Hes so happy go lucky and greedy! Seems terrible to put him through this because of ear wax 😭😭

Back