• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Will this baby be okay?

hrl20100

Young Bun
So my boyfriend's sister has two rabbits for her son. One male and one female. They are brother and sister. To me, they look like netherland dwarf crosses, but i'm not 100% sure. Anyway, they let them out in the run/avairy together during the day and put them in seperate cages at night. They had plans to get the male neutured at some point and thought he was still too young to have babies. Apparently not.

My boyfriend's dad cleaned out the rabbits and found a baby in the females hutch. (They clean out weekly and spot clean every other day, the wee corner is on the bottom level of the cage and they didn't open the 'bedroom' part of the cage until they did a full clean) They had no idea she was pregnant and when I was told about it and shown a photo of the baby, I think it must have been a week old. It has fur... And there is only one. The female is fine and looking after the baby well apparently, but its strange to me that there is only one. I'm really hoping that the other babies were stillborn and arn't still inside the female...

In the photo I was sent, the baby looks fine. It has fur but its eyes are still closed.

They don't have the best knowledge of rabbits, as you can all probably tell, but is the baby going to be okay? I've been told that I can have it if all goes well, so I'm hoping it will be okay, but obviously, its inbred... What are the chances of this baby having problems?

Hiya.. I have no experience of litters and baby buns but hope someone about can help!!!

Mum will do everything necessary for the baby which will start leaving the nest between 2.1/2 - 3 weeks old. At that stage it will start nibbling the food giiven to Mum. Hopefully it should be ok even though inbred and bunny can stay with Mum right up to 8 weeks old and beyond as she will still probably be feeding it.

It does sometimes happen where there is only one baby born. When that is the case, it doesn't have the body heat from any siblings to help keep it warm. If the rabbits are outdoors it's important to ensure the baby is able to stay warm enough in the nest on it's own. Making sure there is plenty of mom's fur to nestle down in will help.

The brother sister pairing shouldn't be much of a concern. These things do happen and the babies grow up normal and healthy.

One thing to keep in mind is that female rabbits can become pregnant immediately after having their babies. So if she has been with the male since the baby was born she may have become pregnant again.

This link has some good info on taking care of baby rabbits.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

One thing to keep in mind is that female rabbits can become pregnant immediately after having their babies. So if she has been with the male since the baby was born she may have become pregnant again.

There may be a chance she is pregnant again then... if they didnt know she had this baby for a whole week... :/ They let them out in the run together during the day so... :/

Back