• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit neutering crisis

So I have a male rabbit who we reckon is about 5 years old, he is already castrated, however I have heard that rabbits get lonely and so I want to get him a friend, I can get a baby bunny for free but I need some place cheap to neuter it otherwise my dad won't let me get him a friend, anyone know of any places that will neuter a bun bun for cheap? Also what gender should I get?

Last edited:
Hiya, it's good that you want to get a friend for your bunny so he isn't lonely, but really, if you can't afford neutering costs, you really can't afford to get another rabbit. What if they are sick and need veterinary treatment, which does happen often with some rabbits? It would probably be better if you could just try to spend more time with your existing rabbit, and maybe make him some toys out of cardboard boxes and things, to stop him getting bored.. X

So I have a male rabbit who we reckon is about 5 years old, he is already castrated, however I have heard that rabbits get lonely and so I want to get him a friend, I can get a baby bunny for free but I need some place cheap to neuter it otherwise we can't afford it, anyone know of any places that will neuter a bun bun for cheap? Also what gender should I get?

Hello

It's good to think of the fact that in most cases Rabbits do need a companion of their own kind. However, it would not only be neutering costs that you'd need to consider. What about any 'unexpected' Veterinary care that may be needed, what about vaccinations and of course the provision of spacious accommodation and an appropriate diet ?

If you contacted a local Rabbit Rescue you could apply to adopt a Rabbit from them and the Rabbit would already be neutered and vaccinated. But of course you'd still have to consider if you could afford the other essentials I have mentioned. Unexpected Vet costs can mount up very quickly.

If you are concerned about being able to afford another Rabbit perhaps you could have your single Rabbit as an House Rabbit if he is not already ?

As for low cost neutering, if you are in receipt of certain Benefits you may be eligible for help from one of the larger Animal Charities such as the RSPCA. They will sometimes issue neutering vouchers.

So I have a male rabbit who we reckon is about 5 years old, he is already castrated, however I have heard that rabbits get lonely and so I want to get him a friend, I can get a baby bunny for free but I need some place cheap to neuter it otherwise we can't afford it, anyone know of any places that will neuter a bun bun for cheap? Also what gender should I get?

The best combination for bonding is a male/female combo, where the female is spayed. Getting a rabbit from a rescue centre would be your best and cheapest bet - she would already be spayed and also vaccinated, which would save you that cost too. I do understand that vet treatment can be *very* expensive!

I'm glad you're thinking of the best for your lonely rabbit :D Does he live indoors or outdoors? Whereabouts do you live?

Welcome to the Forum, by the way :wave:

we are not on benefits, my dad just doesnt have a stable job, i know about the unexpected vet bills as i had a gerbil and cat that died and Twitch had a head tilt caused by Encephalitozoonosis that had to be treated with wormer for 1 month i was just wondering if their was anywhere that did it for around £40?

Why don't you get a rescue rabbit? There alreadyneutered/spayed and vaccinated and you only have to pay around £30 - £50 for them. Also have a look at places like preloved or gumtree many people give away their already neutered/spayed buns for a small fee or even for FREE!

Why don't you get a rescue rabbit? There alreadyneutered/spayed and vaccinated and you only have to pay around £30 - £50 for them. Also have a look at places like preloved or gumtree many people give away their already neutered/spayed buns for a small fee or even for FREE!

well yes, but they tend to be older rabbits and I wouldn't mind that except these buns are so cute and bred by my friend

well yes, but they tend to be older rabbits and I wouldn't mind that except these buns are so cute and bred by my friend

I understand :D

Then you will have to factor in about £75 for a good rabbit vet to spay her, and £40 to vaccinate - and you will have to do the bonding yourself (which can be rather stressful :shock:)

PS - there are often babies in rescue centres!

What will your friend do with the bunnies she has bred?

I understand :D

Then you will have to factor in about £75 for a good rabbit vet to spay her, and £40 to vaccinate - and you will have to do the bonding yourself (which can be rather stressful :shock:)

PS - there are often babies in rescue centres!

What will your friend do with the bunnies she has bred?

i have never researched how to bond with a rabbit, is it the same as what you have to do with gerbils? I am not sure, she is trying to find homes for all 5, they may end up going to a rescue centre :(

Would it be a problem if I was to get another male?

Some folk on here will disagree, but the combined wisdom of Rescue is that male/female is almost certainly guaranteed to work. I have never had that bonding fail anyway! Two boys could well fight at some point ...

Some folk on here will disagree, but the combined wisdom of Rescue is that male/female is almost certainly guaranteed to work. I have never had that bonding fail anyway! Two boys could well fight at some point ...

hmmm... Well i know that Twitch used to be housed with his brother but they fought, however they were not castrated at this point and it was his brother that attacked him, he is more passive, could this affect it in any way? I prefer males from females, i find females to be very nasty which is why my gerbils are boys too XD

hmmm... Well i know that Twitch used to be housed with his brother but they fought, however they were not castrated at this point and it was his brother that attacked him, he is more passive, could this affect it in any way? I prefer males from females, i find females to be very nasty which is why my gerbils are boys too XD

:shock: You find females to be very nasty??

You wouldn't have your boy bunny without one!

Aww .. female bunnies are not nasty at all !!!!! :wave:
They have a lot to put up with and a lot to protect, in the warren environment, many boys want to get at them, many babies die, no-one really knows where the food is coming from.. it's very hierarchical in the 'wild warren world'
.. a female bunny is a very special creature :love: and with love, patience, consistency and time.. she may show you her natural, relaxed beautiful nature,when bonded with another bun. :love:

I would think on, don't make any rushed decisions.. keep posting x

The two genders can have different traits with certain other species, but with rabbits I'm pretty sure both genders are the same e.g. personality wise. I've had many males and females and haven't noticed any difference. It just depends on the individual rabbit. If you've encountered aggressive or unfriendly female rabbits that was down to their individual personalities, not their gender.

I also agree with what Bunny Magics said. Females are just as special as males (no matter what species) and even females (or males) that are aggressive or unfriendly aren't being that way on purpose. They're just scared or shy or hormonal and will come around with time and patience (and spaying) like Bunny Magics said :)

I do understand if you want tame baby rabbits from the get go though. I just don't agree that females are nasty, or that any animal is nasty really. That's a superficial way of looking at it. Animals are more complex than that and can't be treated like damaged goods when they don't turn out the way we maybe would've wanted them to. They have to be met with love and understanding. Not that I'm suggesting you wouldn't, just that I know a lot of people do consider an animal that's not perfect to be like damaged goods and don't treat it the way it should be treated. Not usually out of cruelness, I think people just don't understand why the animal is behaving a certain way and maybe don't put in the effort to understand.

Just remember to research the bonding process whatever u decided. Both buns neutered, bond on neutral territory, make sure ur hutch is minimum 6 ft by 3ft and u must have a large run attached i think minimum here us 6 ft by 6 ft but bigger is better. Very good of u to take in ur friends bun. Also if there is a rescue near u i would defo ring them for advice on bonding etc as u don't want a fight to break out or costly injuries. Good luck.

The two genders can have different traits with certain other species, but with rabbits I'm pretty sure both genders are the same e.g. personality wise. I've had many males and females and haven't noticed any difference. It just depends on the individual rabbit. If you've encountered aggressive or unfriendly female rabbits that was down to their individual personalities, not their gender.

I also agree with what Bunny Magics said. Females are just as special as males (no matter what species) and even females (or males) that are aggressive or unfriendly aren't being that way on purpose. They're just scared or shy or hormonal and will come around with time and patience (and spaying) like Bunny Magics said :)

I do understand if you want tame baby rabbits from the get go though. I just don't agree that females are nasty, or that any animal is nasty really. That's a superficial way of looking at it. Animals are more complex than that and can't be treated like damaged goods when they don't turn out the way we maybe would've wanted them to. They have to be met with love and understanding. Not that I'm suggesting you wouldn't, just that I know a lot of people do consider an animal that's not perfect to be like damaged goods and don't treat it the way it should be treated. Not usually out of cruelness, I think people just don't understand why the animal is behaving a certain way and maybe don't put in the effort to understand.

I am just saying that female gerbils are nasty towards each other and that has given me the feeling that most female animals will act that way, if i had a bun and it wasn't perfect in my eyes i would still treat it the same as all my other pets, i wouldn't just throw it away or sell it because it is my pet and if i have spent the money to have it spayed, i will be keeping it!

Back