• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I get another rabbit?

Bunny9930

Young Bun
I have two female rabbits that have been with each other since birth (Bella and floss) Bella died last night as she lost a lot of blood from her tail end. Floss seems really lonely and isn't settling. Do I get another rabbit to keep her company?

I am very sorry for your loss of Bella :cry:

Do you know the cause of the haemorrhage ? The specific symptom 'haemorrhage from rear end' could indicate Rabbit Viral Haemorrhagic Disease.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/viral/Rabbit_haemorraghic_disease.htm

Was Bella vaccinated ?

Was Bella spayed ? Is Floss spayed (and vaccinated) ?

I would not consider obtaining another Rabbit until the possibility of RVHD has been looked into and also if Floss is not spayed and vaccinated I'd get that done first too. Then I would try to make contact with a Rabbit Rescue/Rehoming facility to try to find a friend for Floss. In the meantime could she live indoors as a House Rabbit, if she does not do so already. Then she would at least have more human company until such a time that she can be introduced to a new Rabbit friend.

Sorry to hear you lost Bella :( I agree with Jane and it's best to be sure that what Bella died of isn't something that could cause problems for other rabbits before getting another one. If you are able to get another rabbit though I think it would be a good idea, as you know they like company :)

Bella and Floss were/are both vaccinated however they were not spayed. I am going to call the vets up and get their opinion on this matter and also see if there is a diagnosis for bella's cause of death. I have heard that rabbits are okay on their own but Floss doesn't know how to be on her own so i will more than likely search the blue cross or RSPCA's websites to find a friend for Floss. Thank you

I have two female rabbits that have been with each other since birth (Bella and floss) Bella died last night as she lost a lot of blood from her tail end. Floss seems really lonely and isn't settling. Do I get another rabbit to keep her company?

Before you consider another rabbit friend for Floss (and I would advise a neutered and vaccinated male), I should be as sure as you can what Bella may have died of. The two questions that are pertinent are - was she vaccinated and was she spayed.

Whatever happens, it will be best to get Floss spayed and vaccinated (if she isn't already) before considering a new addition to the family.

I'm so sorry you lost Bella. It's heart breaking x

Bella and Floss were/are both vaccinated however they were not spayed. I am going to call the vets up and get their opinion on this matter and also see if there is a diagnosis for bella's cause of death. I have heard that rabbits are okay on their own but Floss doesn't know how to be on her own so i will more than likely search the blue cross or RSPCA's websites to find a friend for Floss. Thank you

In that case it is possible that the haemorrhage was from her uterus. This can happen in cases of uterine cancer, uterine cancer being very common in unspayed Does from as young an age as 3.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/uterine.htm

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/neutering28.8.07.pdf

I dont know who told you that Rabbits are OK on their own, Rabbits are very social animals and in general it is in the best interests of a Rabbit's welfare to have a companion of their own kind.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/BunnyBuddiedwebpage.pdf

I booked an appointment with the vets after someone mentioned RVHD. So im taking loss to makes sure that shes clear of that and to make sure that she is healthy

We cross posted!

How old was Bella? It seriously could have been anything though, not necessarily uterine cancer, especially if she was young ...

Poor Floss. I hope you manage to find her a friend :)

She was 2 almost 3 and we have been to the vets and even the vet isn't to sure. She gave floss some precautionary medicine so that she doesn't get whatever Bella had. Also floss is due to be neutered in mid October and after that it will be time to find her a husbunny.

She was 2 almost 3 and we have been to the vets and even the vet isn't to sure. She gave floss some precautionary medicine so that she doesn't get whatever Bella had. Also floss is due to be neutered in mid October and after that it will be time to find her a husbunny.

:thumb: I hope all will be well with Floss :)

Back