• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have to rehome my girls, and I'm heartbroken. Please don't think less of me.

Smilebud

New Kit
I've been going through so much stress lately and the buns haven't been out of their cage in two weeks. I feel awful about it. Today I made the decision to find them a new home, because they were so bored that they chewed everything on top of their cage. Then they shredded their mat. They've never done that before, so I know they need more than I can give them.

Boyfriend is hurt and angry (he brought them home) but I just can't give them what they need. They deserve to be brushed every day, and to get hours of playtime. They deserve more than someone who cant keep up with litter training. I love them so much.. Thinking about it makes me cry. But I can't force them to be confined to their cage day after day with hardly any interaction just because I'm depressed. They didn't choose to come home to me.

I know I don't post here often, but I want to apologize. I took on something that you wonderful people can do an amazing job at, and I couldn't do it. I feel like one of those people who just throws away animals when the going gets tough, but I swear I'm not. Please forgive me for getting rid of my girls. I just want them to be happy.

The home that they're most likely going to has an indoor cage 4 feet long and 2 feet wide, with an outdoor run 50x100 feet. They have kids who will love them, and a mom who's a vet tec. I know that their new family will give them so much more, but I still feel awful. I love them so much.

I saw this and i new i had to write this is not your fault you need to focus on yourself before taking care of something or someone else i have been through this before and it hurts and you may be heartbroken but on the bright side at least your doing the right thing for them and not keeping them locked in a cage then people will think less of you your doing the right thing where your going to take care of yourself and the bunny's so you should be proud of yourself. feel better soon xxx

I totally understand. You are definately thinking of their best interests.

I wish you the best of luck with your depression. Not an easy thing to deal with.

It is absolutely NOT your fault that you're suffering from depression. And you should feel proud that as poorly as you are - you're still think of your buns and doing the best thing for them.

It is not easy to admit you can't do something - don't think of yourself as a failure. Failure would be to not doing anything at all and just leave the buns as they are - that would be wrong - what you're doing is right.

Good luck and loads of hugs.

It is absolutely NOT your fault that you're suffering from depression. And you should feel proud that as poorly as you are - you're still think of your buns and doing the best thing for them.

It is not easy to admit you can't do something - don't think of yourself as a failure. Failure would be to not doing anything at all and just leave the buns as they are - that would be wrong - what you're doing is right.

Good luck and loads of hugs.

This x lots. I hope your health improves soon. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been going through so much stress lately and the buns haven't been out of their cage in two weeks. I feel awful about it. Today I made the decision to find them a new home, because they were so bored that they chewed everything on top of their cage. Then they shredded their mat. They've never done that before, so I know they need more than I can give them.

Boyfriend is hurt and angry (he brought them home) but I just can't give them what they need. They deserve to be brushed every day, and to get hours of playtime. They deserve more than someone who cant keep up with litter training. I love them so much.. Thinking about it makes me cry. But I can't force them to be confined to their cage day after day with hardly any interaction just because I'm depressed. They didn't choose to come home to me.

I know I don't post here often, but I want to apologize. I took on something that you wonderful people can do an amazing job at, and I couldn't do it. I feel like one of those people who just throws away animals when the going gets tough, but I swear I'm not. Please forgive me for getting rid of my girls. I just want them to be happy.

The home that they're most likely going to has an indoor cage 4 feet long and 2 feet wide, with an outdoor run 50x100 feet. They have kids who will love them, and a mom who's a vet tec. I know that their new family will give them so much more, but I still feel awful. I love them so much.

Sorry to hear this, but I totally understand.

I hope you manage to find them a lovely home (or a Rescue helps you to do so)

Good luck xx

That is sad but hopefully their new home witll have more time for them.
Only thing I'd point out is a 4 x 2 cage is too small for a pair of rabbits..that is guinea pig size. Bunnies need a 6 x 2 foot cage/hutch or equivalent!

Hope it works out

I think you are an incredibly brave thoughtful caring person and your health is the most important thing ❤ you aren't well and you are still thinking of your buns and admitting you can't manage and have found them an amazing home. Your a good person. Don't beat yourself up, be proud of your ability to care. I hope you start to feel better soon. Take care (((((hugs)))))

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I'm sorry you're having to make such a tough decision :( It must be so hard but you obviously love your bunnies and want what's best for them and despite being unwell yourself you are still looking after their welfare. Hope you can find them a good home soon. xx

You're clearly acting in the rabbits' best interests. The outside run sounds great, but they'd need to get accustomed to outside weather very rapidly/put down the riht fat reserves/grow a winter/outdoor coat, so it may be better to get them used to going outside asap. Not sure if it's too late for this winter. :?

a brave but no doubt hard decision, but sounds like you found them somewhere where they will get the care they need and love, so you can be rest assured of that, hugs x

That is sad but hopefully their new home witll have more time for them.
Only thing I'd point out is a 4 x 2 cage is too small for a pair of rabbits..that is guinea pig size. Bunnies need a 6 x 2 foot cage/hutch or equivalent!

Hope it works out
It's only a temporary cage :)
They're actually going to be housebunnies! The cage will be in a pen until they're fully litter trained, then they get free roam of the house.

You're clearly acting in the rabbits' best interests. The outside run sounds great, but they'd need to get accustomed to outside weather very rapidly/put down the riht fat reserves/grow a winter/outdoor coat, so it may be better to get them used to going outside asap. Not sure if it's too late for this winter. :?

From what I've been told they'll only be out for nice days in the spring summer and fall, so they should be okay.

I want to thank everyone for their kind words. The new family is picking up Charcoal and Poof today, so I'm saying my goodbyes. I'll miss them a lot, but I'm happy that they can have such a good life. Maybe I'll try again in five or six years, if I'm ready to take care of buns then.

I can't wait to meet their new family! I think the girls are going to love them.

Oh bless you, I'm sending hugs too. You're being very selfless, at such a difficult time, and I wish you well and hope things improve for you soon. xxx

Back