• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grinding teeth

jackson

Young Bun
Why would my rabbit grind its teeth? It has not gone off food and water but is rather listless. I'm not sure what to do. It was in a cage with 2 rabbits the same age and sex (12 wks. does). There was a trace of blood on its front leg but I didn't think does would fight. Please help!

Why would my rabbit grind its teeth? It has not gone off food and water but is rather listless. I'm not sure what to do. It was in a cage with 2 rabbits the same age and sex (12 wks. does). There was a trace of blood on its front leg but I didn't think does would fight. Please help!

Usually a sign of pain and distress. Have you a vet you can take it to? Perhaps there was a fight?

But why would they fight? Ihave the remaining two in the same cage and they have not done anything. I will take it to its vet though.

They will be becoming hormonal. I have two sisters who fought at 12 weeks too - it's fairly typical. I hope the vet can spot what the problem is and that it's swiftly fixed.

Thanx! The Hotot in your photo is exactly like the one I'm talkin about except its ears are longer.

Last edited:
Thanx! The Hotot in your photo is exactly like the one I'm talkin about except its ears are longer.

She's a little Netherland dwarf actually, but I can see the similarity! The ones in my signature are the ones who fought!

But why would they fight? Ihave the remaining two in the same cage and they have not done anything. I will take it to its vet though.

Does will fight, unfortunately. Spaying may help to keep them bonded together, but that wouldn't be possible until about five months.

If they are in a confined area for any length of time, rabbits of the same sex will often get upset and aggressive with one another.

Do you usually keep several does in a cage together?

Last edited:
I thought it was a hotot because of the black circle around its eye, but they are sisters! they don't look a bit alike.

Last edited:
before I took it to a vet I tried a tried and true herb recipe, gave it fresh comfrey leaves. it is fine now, thanks for your advice everyone.

Back