• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny becomes listless

SamKaz

New Kit
Hi,

My bunny is Bentley, about 7 1/2 years old. Three times in the past month, I have found laying flat on his belly, with no energy. Within 30-60 minutes, he gets his energy back. The first time we took him to a Vetanarian, but by the time she was able to see him, Bentley was fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can give him (vitamins, pills...) to prevent this from happening again?

I am 12 years old, and Bentley is my favorite pet!

Sam

I'm not sure,is bunny eating,pooing normally? Sounds like gut problems ,buns stretch out if uncomfortable etc.Maybe a more savvy vet is needed.

Hi,

My bunny is Bentley, about 7 1/2 years old. Three times in the past month, I have found laying flat on his belly, with no energy. Within 30-60 minutes, he gets his energy back. The first time we took him to a Vetanarian, but by the time she was able to see him, Bentley was fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can give him (vitamins, pills...) to prevent this from happening again?

I am 12 years old, and Bentley is my favorite pet!

Sam

Hello Sam

It is hard to say what, if anything, may be wrong with Bentley as the behaviour you describe could be completely normal for a resting Rabbit. A Rabbit who is not well and/or in pain is likely to stop eating, they may sit all hunched up.

You say that Bentley lay down flat on his belly- 'belly pressing' where a Rabbit is restless, stretches a lot and keeps pressing their belly to the floor usually indicates abdominal pain. But then again a relaxed Rabbit may lay stretched out on the floor, often with their hind legs stretched out behind them.

So without actually being able to see what Bentley has been doing it is not really possible to say what is/was going on. Well done for taking him to the Vet though, that is always the best option when we have any concerns about the health of our Rabbit. If you could video Bentley if/when he has another 'episode' this could be useful to show the Vet.

At the moment I'd just keep a close eye on him, especially on exactly how much he is eating and if there is any change in his poo output. Also, observe him as he hops about to see if he appears a bit stiff in his back/hips. Arthritis is not an unusual finding in Rabbits as they reach 7-8 years of age. If he did have a bit of age related arthritis this could cause him to feel intermittently sore and so not wanting to move about much.

Back