• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What should I do??

moi

Mama Doe
Some of you may remember me airing my concerns about my Son becoming allergic to my bunnies. Well Im not sure if its the bunnies or the hay but either way its **** as bunnies need hay. Hes fine when he goes to his Dads at the weekend, and hes a little sniffly when he gets back here. But as soon as he goes into the outhuse where the buns are his nose and eyes are a huge streaming red mess. Im gutted I really am.

So do I move the buns to the outside shed which is half the space they have now, or make the heartbreaking desision to rehome them?

Do antihistamines not help?

My friend is allergic to animal fur but he's owned at least two cats for as long as I remember - he takes antihistamines and doesn't let the cats upstairs, so he has a kind of low-allergen refuge if he needs it. He sniffles a bit but he loves cats so he says it's worth it, and he was clearly far more affected by my dog (presumably because he didn't have enough contact with her to build up resistance to her allergens).

Failing that, can your son just keep away from the outhouse?

Would trying a different hay help? Sometimes I am allergic to some types, but others leave me with no issues at all. Other times hay I have reacted too previously does not give me a reaction. Likewise Cookies fur had been giving me big reactions needing an inhaler or if a piece of fur got into my eye it would blow up all swollen and weeping, this happened suddenly after having her for a year, but recently I haven't reacted to her at all. I can't work it out why the allergy would suddenly go but maybe if your son avoids the area for a while his allergy will disappear too? xxx

I'm gonna give them a go outside. If I remove some of the stuff from my shed that will free up more room and I can put in a cat flap. The antihistamines help a little but I do not want him living of pills for the next few years. And the outhouse is the only way to get to the garden and the toilet is in there so he can only avoid it so much before having to go in there.

So if i pop bunny's outside we will get the best of both worlds :)

Growing up I was allergic to fur (after our cat died) and I also became allergic to hay... i've now got 2 bunnies and a cat (the cat sleeps with me). I used to take anti histamines but then I just became immune after a while and none of it bothers me as much.

My husband was horribly allergic to pretty much everything - hay, fur, etc, now, he's a lot better since having R&T - his hayfever isn't even half as bad as it used to be, so I say move them outside :)

Back