• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reuniting Max and Molly after her spaying

MaxAndMolly

Young Bun
Hi all.

Molly had her operation on Friday (so 4 days ago). She's 7 months old now. Max had his op about 3 months ago.

They normally live very happily together. Having gone quiet after his op, he'd started mounting her again a few weeks ago. We had thought he wouldn't have that kind of urge any more. We also thought it might have been Molly's hormones kicking in that triggered his renewed mounting.

Anyway, we separated them after the op, to give Molly time to recover. But they're not keen. Max has been sitting out in his run long after he'd normally have taken himself to bed, gazing up at Molly. It is all very sad. However, we've been bringing them in in the evening for some supervised time together. They are very happy to have time together. But Max is a little too happy, and has been attempting to mount her again.

My question is, if he's going to keep doing that, do we need to keep them apart for a bit longer. Or do people think Molly will be OK after 4 days? Her stitches are internal ones, so there's nothing for him to pull at. My concern is whether he might do her any damage with his attentions.

All advice welcome. Thank you everyone.

It's very early days yet. Molly has had a huge operation. She's had a hysterectomy, so her insides are still going to be sore and delicate. I reckon she needs a good two to three weeks, maybe more. In the past I have left my buns about 8 weeks or more before I allowed them out together.

Last edited:
You should allow at least 2 weeks for Molly to recover, especially as Max is pestering her. Hopefully, in time, they will settle down and Max will stop mounting her. :)

Thank you both Fluffybunny and Tonibun. Obviously main concern is to keep her safe from harm. But also don't want to keep them apart too long and create rebonding issues. So from that perspective I like the sound of 2 weeks more than 8 weeks. But want to end up at the right place on the spectrum!

She gets a post-op check up early next week, so I'll see what the vet says too. But any other bids from you rabbit experts welcome!

We are allowing them "supervised contact", both in the garden and indoors in the evenings. (This means I get A LOT of heel kicking and cheeky tail wagging from Max when I have to separate them. He is NOT pleased about being restrained in this way. But he'll get over it). Max continues to sit in the run where he can see Molly when she's locked away from him. Poor little chap.

Molly's external scar, to my untrained eye, looks like it has healed very well indeed.

Thanks again.

I know it's difficult to keep them apart but just because the scar has healed well, thankfully, it's what her inside is like, if you see what I mean.

In case anyone is interested in the end of the story:

Molly went for her check-up at the vets, and that all went well. The vet said no need to keep them apart any longer. So we put them back together, supervised at first, and then unsupervised. They're delighted to be back together, and all is well. And for now, Max also seems to have stopped 'bothering' Molly. I don't know whether that is coincidence, or whether her hormones have calmed down and that's made him lose interest.

Really glad to have all that out of the way! My daughter who the rabbits really belong to didn't really appreciate the seriousness of the op and all that. So we did all the worrying for her!

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Molly went for her check-up at the vets, and that all went well. The vet said no need to keep them apart any longer. So we put them back together, supervised at first, and then unsupervised. They're delighted to be back together, and all is well. And for now, Max also seems to have stopped 'bothering' Molly. I don't know whether that is coincidence, or whether her hormones have calmed down and that's made him lose interest.

Really glad to have all that out of the way! My daughter who the rabbits really belong to didn't really appreciate the seriousness of the op and all that. So we did all the worrying for her!

So pleased to hear that all has gone well that the happy couple are re-united !! :D

Wow, good news!

I was following your story so I am very pleased to read this :D

We are always very interested :D Pleased to hear they are back together and Molly is recovering very well.

Back